EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Ford reduces front brake drag: efficiency gain = 0.1 MPG (in EPA combined testing) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-reduces-front-brake-drag-efficiency-gain-0-a-34284.html)

MetroMPG 09-06-2016 01:19 PM

Ford reduces front brake drag: efficiency gain = 0.1 MPG (in EPA combined testing)

Just came across this nugget about the redesigned Ford Fusion hybrid, and how efficiency was increased through the application of magic buckshot:

Quote:

First, brake drag was reduced with a new caliper design that kept the pad slightly further away from the disc. This alone produced a 0.1-mpg improvement in the EPA rating, Nault said.
Source: 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid and Energi: how engineers increased fuel efficiency

Maybe not news to anyone who has ever spun a jacked up front (or rear disc) wheel by hand.

MetroMPG 09-06-2016 01:54 PM

Waiting for Frank to mourn the passing of the age of 4-wheel drums...

:)

MobilOne 09-07-2016 01:33 AM

Back about 1974, we had a gas crisis and gas went from 30 cents a gallon m/l to 37 cents gal m/l. One of the tips to reduce the drag of the disc brakes was to rock the steering wheel l/r to push the pads apart a tiny bit. I have no idea if it would work or what the effect would be. may look into it.

And don't we have a tip relating to this on this site?
I just checked. Not in 100 tips or 65 mods that I could see. Anyway the tip was to add a set of springs/clips (second set of springs/clips?) to push the pads away from the rotor.

I did a search. The topic is brake drag reduction clips. Probably should be added to the 65 mods.

redpoint5 09-07-2016 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobilOne (Post 522270)
One of the tips to reduce the drag of the disc brakes was to rock the steering wheel l/r to push the pads apart a tiny bit.

I don't see how that would help; the pads, caliper, and entire wheel are all attached to the same steering joint.

Might as well take the car off a sweet jump.

fusion210 09-07-2016 09:40 AM

Definitely not news to any of us who let a car sit so the rotors get rusty.

It was in fact on this board that I read about people using clips to make the pads retract further on disc brakes. I'm sure there's half a dozen posts about them, it wasn't even a hackjob. Buy the clips, install, and you're done.

Frank Lee 09-07-2016 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 522225)
Waiting for Frank to mourn the passing of the age of 4-wheel drums...

:)

I wish all my vehicles had all-wheel drums. :(:(:(

I've been waiting for some action on hood seals too. :)

Frank Lee 09-07-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 522272)
I don't see how that would help; the pads, caliper, and entire wheel are all attached to the same steering joint.

Might as well take the car off a sweet jump.

There should be a minute amount of wheelbearing play, perhaps enough to nudge the pads... or not.

niky 09-07-2016 11:36 PM

Mazda already did this with the Mazda2 years ago. They let the pads float higher, and redesigned the geometry of the brake pedal assembly so people wouldn't panic over "mushy brakes"