EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Ford scrappage scheme. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-scrappage-scheme-35522.html)

JockoT 08-22-2017 02:02 AM

Ford scrappage scheme.

Ford UK have announced a scrappage scheme for vehicles 7 years or older, from any manufacturer, where they will take the old vehicle and give you £2000 off the price of any new Ford. These vehicles will be scrapped and not sold on through car auctions or the like. Unlike other European manufacturers this will apply to petrol as well as diesel engined vehicles.
I am not that naive not to realise that this is more a marketing ploy than about green issues. Be interesting to see how much of a take up of the offer there is.

ar5boosted 08-22-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 548032)
These vehicles will be scrapped and not sold on through car auctions or the like.

Here we just have the joke about Ford standing for parts "[F]ound [O]na [R]ubbish [D]ump".

Of course they won't send the cars to auction. Let's hope they just don't reuse the parts on new cars to keep their reputation alive. Pardon my joking, story from a Ford owner.

nemo 08-22-2017 09:21 AM

Depending on the success of the promotion it may also drive up the cost of newer used vehicles. This could also make new vehicles payments which generally can be financed over a longer period more attractive.

JockoT 08-22-2017 10:05 AM

It may depress the price of newer used cars. The people scrapping the old cars and buying new ones are probably the people that previously would have bought a used car. I know a lot of people buy a new car and run it forever, but most old cars are owned by second, third and fourth time buyers.
I know that virtually all my car purchases have been "distress" purchases. The old clunker died and I bought whatever was available in my price range (never very high!).

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-22-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar5boosted (Post 548038)
Let's hope they just don't reuse the parts on new cars to keep their reputation alive.

Reusing the parts on new cars doesn't seem so likely to happen, but it's quite likely the scrap material might find its way into new cars.

ECO-AKJ 08-22-2017 12:25 PM

We had that in 2008 in the states, they called it cash for clunkers then

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 08-22-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECO-AKJ (Post 548054)
We had that in 2008 in the states, they called it cash for clunkers then

And that was quite pointless, since some cars in a good condition were scrapped, including some classics that would be worth more selling for collectors.

jamesqf 08-22-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JockoT (Post 548032)
...where they will take the old vehicle and give you £2000 off the price of any new Ford.

Well, if you wanted a new Ford, you could probably buy something that just failed its MOT for scrap price. Assuming, of course, that Ford doesn't just jack up the list price of its vehicles by £2000, then claim they're giving you a great deal, as US automakers do with rebates.

SRSW 09-04-2017 04:17 PM

I can't even look at these new 'green deals' I sold my old 1.9cdti '09' Vectra (yes it was one of the very last Vectras) due to too many advisories on the MOT and the clutch just about holding on a month ago, put a deposit down on a 2017 Kia Sportage 1.7 diesel and now scrappage schemes are coming out that the Veccy would have been eligable for! WAHHH! I missed out on the last scrap page scheme in 2007 like this too! haha
Ah well.. Hopefully they haven't just 'inflated' prices to make it seem like they are giving good discounts.

gone-ot 09-04-2017 05:01 PM

Bluntly, it sounds to me like nothing more than a Ford-of-Britain marketing ploy that's being "piggy-backed" upon gooberment condemnation of older vehicles as primary pollution sources,ie: Green house gas fears.

Making it sound as though getting rid of a perfectly decent (and probably already payed off) vehicle is a "Good Thing" to do for UK society and the world in general...is BALONEY.

Marketing to the "herd mentality" with a dash of 'Save the World' thrown in for good measure?!?!?