EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Ford to spend $4.5 billion on electric vehicles (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-spend-4-5-billion-electric-vehicles-33203.html)

RedDevil 12-10-2015 05:06 PM

Ford to spend $4.5 billion on electric vehicles

Breaking news...
Ford to spend $4.5 billion by 2020 on electric vehicles

Ford to invest $4.5 billion more in electric car plan by 2020

Ford to invest $4.5 billion more in electric car plan by 2020 | Reuters

Quote:

Fields said it will launch late next year a new version of its Ford Focus electric car that has a 100-mile range and can recharge in 30 minutes.

Ford also plans to add 13 new plug-in hybrid, hybrid or electric vehicles to its lineup by 2020, moving to more than 40 percent the share of the company's vehicle lines that will be electrified.
Guess they are up to something...

darcane 12-10-2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 501733)
Ford to spend $4.5 billion on electric vehicles

Title is wrong...

Ford to spend $4.5 billion on electrified vehicles.

Electric is solely powered by batteries.
Electrified is battery powered or hybrids.

40% of all cars being "electrified" by 2020 doesn't seem like news at all. This is the direction all manufacturers are going.

redpoint5 12-10-2015 07:13 PM

I'm happy to see the direction Ford, Chevy, and GM are going. I'd really like to see a purpose built EV from Ford. Retrofitting EV gear into a gasser is sure to compromise utility and efficiency.

gone-ot 12-10-2015 07:20 PM

Beginning to sound like the "Westinghouse/Tesla vs. Edison" War-of-the currents:

Tesla chargers
GM chargers
Ford chargers
Fiat chargers
VW chargers
BMW chargers

oil pan 4 12-11-2015 12:01 AM

All costs are passed down to the end consumer.
Taking an existing gas vehicle and making an electric version is great for the buyers.

Cd 12-11-2015 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 501737)
Title is wrong...

Ford to spend $4.5 billion on electrified vehicles.

Electric is solely powered by batteries.
Electrified is battery powered or hybrids.

40% of all cars being "electrified" by 2020 doesn't seem like news at all. This is the direction all manufacturers are going.

Reminds me of some of the wording on the packages at work : Eco Friendly ! Made from 100% recyclable plastic !!

recyclable ? :mad:

wdb 12-11-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 501748)
Beginning to sound like the "Westinghouse/Tesla vs. Edison" War-of-the currents:

Tesla chargers
GM chargers
Ford chargers
Fiat chargers
VW chargers
BMW chargers

I thought there was consensus on plug design? After that a volt is a volt - or do some need AC and some DC? That would be weird...

gone-ot 12-11-2015 12:37 PM

SAE "defines" a standard connector for USA, but other countries have their OWN "standards."

I was overtly comparing 'gasoline-is-gasoline' to 'volts-is-volts,' but each manufacturer sells their OWN chargers.

RedDevil 12-11-2015 01:54 PM

I think most manufacturers would like to make use of whichever system is most common, if it is open to them rather than build their own exclusive network.
On the other hand, having their own chargers can give them an advantage, and why do things the easy way?

We will soon find out who is in charge.

By the way, this is the first post with my new iPad and it may well be the last too! My God I hate Apple with a vengeance now, stupid autocorrect, stupid space is no space bar, why can't I put the cursor where I want...
So much to learn :o

Cd 12-11-2015 02:11 PM

" We will soon find out who is in charge. "

Ahhh. I see what you did there .