EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Forget drafting! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/forget-drafting-25742.html)

Xist 05-04-2013 01:00 PM

Forget drafting!

What weight monofilament would I need to tow my car and how would I set up an invisible grapple? :D

freebeard 05-04-2013 03:08 PM

Nano-tubes™. :thumbup:

EDIT: Decapitation hazard. No not attempt this at home.

Xist 05-04-2013 03:16 PM

I figured that it would snap if someone tried to cut between the semi and me, but now that you mention it, what if that were a motorcycle rider?

jakobnev 05-04-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

what if that were a motorcycle rider?
I suppose you could measure if a Forester has enough ground clearance to high-center a motorcycle with a decapitated corpse on it. :rolleyes:

Xist 05-04-2013 04:00 PM

I think that I would an even stronger monofilament.

jakobnev 05-04-2013 04:28 PM

I think the monofilament your verb.

a8ksh4 05-04-2013 08:57 PM

Maybe you could find some spider silk multifilamnet line. I've though about this before, probably as a result of reading "Diamond Age". Edge up to the semi, toss the grapple over it's bumper, and then back off and fall in line. :) Just need a quick release so that you can retract it if someone jumps in front of you.

freebeard 05-05-2013 12:09 AM

jakobnev -- LOL

Yeah it would be fun .... until somebody rolls up behind and grapples *you*.

jamesqf 05-05-2013 01:55 PM

What you need is a strong magnet on an extendable arm. And for people grappling you... Well, yet another reason to drive an aluminum-bodied Gen1 Insight :-)

Cobb 05-05-2013 09:40 PM

:confused: I rather you get your aero right. Once thats done you have no need to draft. :thumbup:

gone-ot 05-05-2013 10:08 PM

• drafting...
• aleing...
• lagering...
pilsnering...
• portering...
• stouting...
• Becking...
• Fostering...
• Guinnessing...
pinting...
muging...

Xist 05-06-2013 06:02 AM

How would the electric motor, or even the internal combustion engine, react that close to a magnet that strong? :)

In the army we use tow bars. Anyone ever see someone tow another car without someone back there to hit the brakes?

The monofilament would theoretically be invisible.

Xist 05-06-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 369706)
:confused: I rather you get your aero right. Once thats done you have no need to draft. :thumbup:

You're no fun! :D

Basjoos said that he can draft himself--drafting another vehicle does not help.

Don't racecars draft each other? :D

How would you like to engine-off coast interstate? :D

However, I would give a car the Basjoos treatment before trying to figure out some sticky frog tongue to install in front of my car.

razor02097 05-06-2013 09:48 AM

Take the device in my avatar and turn the magnet around. Job done.

gone-ot 05-06-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor02097 (Post 369764)
Take the device in my avatar and turn the magnet around. Job done.

tada!...turn the magnet around and in back to PUSH/REPEL (wink,wink)!

Xist 05-06-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 369814)
tada!...turn the magnet around and in back to PUSH/REPEL (wink,wink)!

My dad once had a big SUV tailgate him. He started speeding up, continued speeding up, and once his speeding satisfied the highway patrol, they turned on the pretty lights.

That would be a fun explanation.

"No, really, when you got close, you pushed my car!"

Being rear-ended would be... complicated.

On the other hand, anyone trying to tailgate would need to accelerate harder as they move the mass of two vehicles.

freebeard 05-06-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

My dad once had a big SUV tailgate him. He started speeding up, continued speeding up, and once his speeding satisfied the highway patrol, they turned on the pretty lights.
They tried that with me once. I didn't bite. Good weather, open 2-lane road. The *instant* the lights came on I put it on the side of the road. It was a very light car (Type III Notchback w/ 1776 and a 5-speed). When he walked up and asked if I knew he was behind me, I noticed his chin was quivering, as a cloud of rubber smoke rolled past.

When he asked how fast I was going, I told him I never look at my speedometer when a police car is behind me, matter of policy. (speedo reads off an undersized front tire; we go with what he says) We had a nice chat and he let me off with a warning.

To be fair and balanced, I did stumble into a radar trap after dark the same day.