EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   This forum steals ideas and claims them as their own! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/forum-steals-ideas-claims-them-their-own-28378.html)

yoyoyoda 03-06-2014 08:37 PM

This forum steals ideas and claims them as their own!

http://ecomodder.com/forum/414618-post41.html
Don't join!

Cobb 03-06-2014 09:01 PM

Ive never had to clean my terminals. Id seen some nasty battery terminals in my days and they are always on other peoples cars.

Me, I add extra grounds. I go from shock tower to shock tower, inner fender, engine, tranny, alt as well as one to the negative battery terminal.

I took the idea with a grain of salt. I purchased a roll of wire and some terminals from the auto store to test it since I had some money and time. Afterwards I notice the engine starts faster. The head lights are brighter. The radio seems clearer. THe engine doesnt vary in idle as the ac cycles off and on. Throttle response is improved.

I was shocked at the results and did it to my other vehicle. Similar results, so I continue doing that to this day.

yoyoyoda 03-06-2014 09:06 PM

1vhar

JasonG 03-07-2014 07:55 AM

some cars are very sensitive to having the engine block properly grounded and wont even run without it

oldtamiyaphile 03-10-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyoyoda (Post 414060)
On an old carburetted Ford XF I used to own I could start the engine within 1 second of turning on the starter

I had an XD, on occasion I would only want to switch on the ACC position, I'd turn the key a touch too far and she'd be up and running. Carbs did have their plus sides.

niky 03-11-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyoyoda (Post 414050)
Don't join!

Overdramatic much?

MistaBones was already talking about how he was planning something similar in the past. Old Mechanic's idea is similar but not identical.

Multiple people are bound to approach the same problem in similar ways given similar restraints... I don't see how OM's idea could even be construed as an exact copy of yours, as he was looking at utilizing a different trigger mechanism and different controls.

Daox 03-11-2014 10:59 AM

A friendly reminder to all here. This is an open forum, if you post something that isn't patent protected it is not 'your' idea, its now everyone's idea. This isn't EcoModder policy, its patent law. That means they can even use it to make money if they want to. Case in point, OEMs visit this site as do many individuals. Where do you think they get all their aeromod ideas from? :)

sarguy01 03-11-2014 11:05 AM

I was waiting for the ban to come...

t vago 03-11-2014 11:11 AM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...orethelock.jpg

pgfpro 03-11-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 414672)
A friendly reminder to all here. This is an open forum, if you post something that isn't patent protected it is not 'your' idea, its now everyone's idea. This isn't EcoModder policy, its patent law. That means they can even use it to make money if they want to. Case in point, OEMs visit this site as do many individuals. Where do you think they get all their aeromod ideas from? :)

Oh crap I screwed myself again. lol
j/k

some_other_dave 03-11-2014 02:58 PM

Yoyo, take a look at the earlier thread "Arduino-controlled grille block".

There have been multiple discussions about shutters, articulated grille blocks, and so on. As far as patent rights go, there is a whole lot of "prior art" on this particular topic...

-soD

RedDevil 03-11-2014 03:49 PM

I think many people have been wondering about doing something with the expansion tank level, only to dismiss it right away for its vulnerability.

As said before, whatever you post here is out in the open for all to see and use.
If someone vents the same idea you have posted, take it as an honor. Great minds think alike.

For every idea posted there are ten people who have thought of it but not put it down. So many times have I seen the announcement of a breakthrough or a special design that I have been thinking about too. I could have been rich! But I never took the effort to bring my ideas into reality, so what do I have to complain about...
That's life, follow your dreams, follow up on them ;)

Frank Lee 03-11-2014 04:03 PM

There have been so many times I came up with something *new to me* and I was so pleased with my clever concept, only to then research it further and find that someone beat me to it. :rolleyes: :mad:

RedDevil 03-11-2014 04:12 PM

That, too ;)

doviatt 03-11-2014 05:10 PM

I have a patent on "original thought". So stop wasting your time.:p

2000mc 03-11-2014 07:20 PM

forum
Syllabification: fo·rum
Pronunciation: /ˈfôrəm /
NOUN (plural forums)

1A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:

forum: definition of forum in Oxford dictionary (American English) (US)

user removed 03-11-2014 09:34 PM

I guess the mods and owners of this forum should expect a summons to appear in court to defend themselves from a grand larceny charge.

"Your honor my client, whackadoodle, had an absolutely original idea never contemplated in all of prior human history. This fabulous idea, worth billions, was stolen, not by another person who could be incarcerated but by an online forum. I'm not sure how you would incarcerate a forum but I want that damn forum locked up, and I want the sucker unplugged.

Waiting to hear from Frank Lee. :p:p:p

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 03-11-2014 10:06 PM

I'm way too nice and polite to pile on yoyo. :p

XYZ 03-11-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 414672)

A word about patents. If you apply for a patent and are granted it, it only gives you the right to protect your intellectual property that you have recorded through the process of obtaining the patent. Someone or some corporate entity can still steal your idea and market it. Obtaining a patent only gives you the right and potential to sue those who infringe upon it and thus stop the theft and production of your patented idea. There is no guarantee that your defense by lawsuit will be successful. You may end up as David challenging Goliath. Goliath often has more money and more lawyers than you do.

As for the whining of "whaaa, whaaa, whaaa, he stole MY idea" - it's time to stop acting childish. :rolleyes:

XYZ 03-11-2014 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 414756)
I'm way too nice and polite to pile on yoyo. :p

Frank, what's come over you? :eek: :D

user removed 03-11-2014 10:17 PM

He fought Toyota and won.

The Hybrid Inventor Who Sued Toyota - And Won | Autopia | Wired.com

regards
Mech

t vago 03-11-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frank lee (Post 414756)
i'm way too nice and polite to pile on yoyo. :p

https://warosu.org/data/lit/img/0028...3159444965.jpg

XYZ 03-11-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 414760)

Apparently it was not the inventor Severinsky himself who sued Toyota. It was Paice (apparently a company for which Severinsky worked, or to which he may have sold his patents) which successfully brought the suit against Toyota. Also note that the case ended in a settlement.

Having the ability to sue is one thing. Pursuing and winning a lawsuit as a plaintiff is quite another. ;)

user removed 03-11-2014 10:59 PM

Yep he needed somebody to collect the $95 per Prius in royalties.

regards
Mech

Mista Bone 03-12-2014 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyoyoda (Post 414050)
Don't join!

So you had these ideas in 2000-2005 and just now complaining about it?

Some of my ideas are inspired by what I read in PM or PS in the late 70's and early 80's. Read the blog about the Pinto that had aero mods.

I just didn't wanna use a choke cable or rope and pulleys for the same effect.

I've been tweaking with aero and MPG mods for 30 years....Mutual Discovery.

ksa8907 03-12-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 414702)
There have been so many times I came up with something *new to me* and I was so pleased with my clever concept, only to then research it further and find that someone beat me to it. :rolleyes: :mad:

I remember when I was about 17 I was out cutting wood with my dad and I thought, why dont we just mix diesel in the gas for lubrication. This lead on to me reinventing the 2 stroke diesel, much to my surprise somebody had already stolen the idea nearly 100 years before.

deejaaa 03-12-2014 02:04 PM

this is what i get for sleeping! i've missed out on all the ranting, foot stomping, name calling, all because yoyo's been banned. i will now stomp my foot in disgust! and pout. then go to my room, like dancing boy.....
at first, i thought i had something clever to say, but i was wrong again.

Xist 03-13-2014 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa (Post 414863)
i thought i had something clever to say, but i was wrong again.

Oh dear, now you are approaching my territory!

Grant-53 03-13-2014 04:46 PM

When my 17 yr. old son would show me a clever design for something I would pull out an old engineering book to show him how well it worked. He would shake his head and mutter, "Darned ancients, they stole all my good ideas!" Copyrights are much easier and cheaper to obtain but you still have to hire your own lawyers.