EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Fossil Free? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fossil-free-8618.html)

Diesel Biker 06-03-2009 03:16 PM

Fossil Free?

So everyone here that has posted in this forum thread are running their toys totally fossil free?

Meaning?

You all charge your toys off the grid, produce your power via. 100% hydro-electric, home wind turbine, or home solar panel.

Plugging your toy into any wall socket doesn’t mean its fossil free.

I don't want to offend anyone calling their projects toys, but they are, even mine. I'll stick with my biodiesel toys.

Dave,
Even the solar Taxi used fossil fuel, I helped them find a 220v outlet so they could charge up their contraption, I’m the fat guy seen here:
Solartaxi

For those that are off the grid, I give you all two thumbs up.:thumbup::thumbup:

Daox 06-03-2009 03:24 PM

If you wanna get crazy with it, you could say that fossil fuel free cars are non-existant due to the fuel used in the manufacturing process. :p

Its a looser term here. This is a forum for ideas on electric cars, bio diesel, etc.

Diesel Biker 06-03-2009 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 107826)
If you wanna get crazy with it, you could say that fossil fuel free cars are non-existant due to the fuel used in the manufacturing process. :p

Its a looser term here. This is a forum for ideas on electric cars, bio diesel, etc.

Not I could say, I will say! Amazing sometimes how much energy we waste so we don't have to walk.

I'm going to buy bicycle.

MazdaMatt 06-03-2009 04:23 PM

I wouldn't jump to conclusions... I don't yet drive an EV, but my power comes from Niagara Falls and Bruce Nuclear. It depends on how far up the chain you want to derive your "fossil fuel free" term from. I'm sure Bruce Nuclear and Niagara Falls both required huge amounts of fuel to build and maintain - the hydro company came by and used a gas powered chain saw to clear trees from my power lines! I'd say someone is FF free if they don't put gas or oil in their car. Heck, even gas came from dinos that were eating solar-fed leaves and veggies!

Bicycle Bob 06-03-2009 06:21 PM

I'd be careful about calling biodiesel a non-fossil fuel, unless it was grown and processed organically, using horses or biodiesel power.

NiHaoMike 06-03-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Biker (Post 107832)
Not I could say, I will say! Amazing sometimes how much energy we waste so we don't have to walk.

I'm going to buy bicycle.

While you're at it, make it a hybrid with regen. So not only does it not use fossil fuels to go, but it also generates electricity that can be used to substitute for electricity made with fossil fuels. You then get a bicycle with a negative net fossil fuel usage.

MazdaMatt 06-04-2009 08:18 AM

Good point, Bob. I think it is safe to say you are fossil fuel free when you aren't using any. The supply chain is not yours to worry about - it will clean up in time.