EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Found my SUV replacement (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/found-my-suv-replacement-28692.html)

botsapper 04-11-2014 11:30 AM

Found my SUV replacement

New VW Golf Sportwagen replaces Jetta Sportwagen at New York Auto Show debut, shows diesel 4Motion AWD system concept. - Autoweek

VW Sportswagen TDI 4Motion may be a concept but it would be a great replacement for our family car. A rare combination; AWD, diesel, six-speed manual trans and a decent cargo wagon - perfect all-weather commuter/sports team car. Make it so.

KrautBurner 04-11-2014 11:55 AM

nice !!!

we really wish we could have afforded to get into a vw tdi
but they are really expensive in my area

I just replaced my 01 Tahoe (15mpg)
with a 2010 Prius (50mpg)
as the main family car

still have a Crew Cab F350 Turbo-Diesel for when I need to haul/tow

spacemanspif 04-11-2014 03:10 PM

Wow, big props to VW to keeping the wagon alive!! Seems everyone else is killing the idea by turning them into a 4dr hatch with 0 trunk space. Does every car have to have AWD these days?? What's wrong with 2? The average person does not need AWD and the parasitic cost of driving 2 more wheels has to hurt economy no matter how you slice it.

Close VW, and thank you for keeping the wagon body alive outside of the small/crossover SUV platform, but you still missed the mark by incorporating AWD.

Hersbird 04-11-2014 03:58 PM

Where we live 27/35 mpg is not as good at $.70 more per gallon. The new jeep Cherokee (although ugly enough to make the paint in your garage peel) with the new 9 speed auto at under $30k for a 4wd v6 and 19/27 mpg and a 4500 pound tow rating. The jeep only costs about a buck every 100 miles more for fuel in our area.
$300-400 over the long life of the car unless diesel prices magically come down.

ecomodded 04-11-2014 08:40 PM

I like it , its a Camper Van, compared to my Beetle..

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-12-2014 12:35 AM

Hippies gonna like it to use with homebrew biodiesel :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspif (Post 419741)
Wow, big props to VW to keeping the wagon alive!! Seems everyone else is killing the idea by turning them into a 4dr hatch with 0 trunk space. Does every car have to have AWD these days?? What's wrong with 2? The average person does not need AWD and the parasitic cost of driving 2 more wheels has to hurt economy no matter how you slice it.

For the ones who use occasional snowfalls as a reason to get a 4WD SUV with a boat-anchor V8, the AWD option in a compact wagon may be interesting. Probably VW will release a regular FWD version when it goes on the market.

redpoint5 04-12-2014 01:44 AM

It might be my car in 7 years... skip the first couple model years of a new release (to get the kinks worked out), and then wait for the 3rd model year to become 4 years old before buying used from a private party.

One thing seemed strange; they lowered the ground clearance on the car and gave it AWD. The only time I need AWD is when I have enough ground clearance to be pushing through feet of snow.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-13-2014 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 419805)
One thing seemed strange; they lowered the ground clearance on the car and gave it AWD. The only time I need AWD is when I have enough ground clearance to be pushing through feet of snow.

Ricers love the grip of a WRX or an Evo for the street races :D

Kilroy 04-20-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspif (Post 419741)

Close VW, and thank you for keeping the wagon body alive outside of the small/crossover SUV platform, but you still missed the mark by incorporating AWD.

Every SUV is a wagon, they just renamed them for marketing!

PressEnter[] 04-20-2014 12:37 PM

I am kind of in love with that car, but in reality AWD is not necessary enough for me to take an everyday economy hit.

Xist 04-20-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PressEnter[] (Post 420976)
I am kind of in love with that car, but in reality AWD is not necessary enough for me to take an everyday economy hit.

My parents live in the mountains and when my mother told my brother's Speech-Language Pathologist that I was pursuing her field, knowing that I had a Subaru, she said that all of her SLPs (apparently, she had others working for her) drove Foresters and she used to.

Unfortunately, I am not able to visit my parents as often as I would like, and I have never been in that car when I needed to drive through bad weather, there was just the time that I tried to pull off the highway to relieve myself and I got Bacon stuck in snow.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-20-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilroy (Post 420965)
Every SUV is a wagon, they just renamed them for marketing!

Just like calling a fat girl a "plus-size" to make her be considered hot :D

NachtRitter 04-20-2014 09:17 PM

I've always liked the non-American-style wagons... Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, Subaru. Aside from the relatively poor FE of my Subaru Wagon (no, it's NOT an Outback!), it is the best all-around vehicle I've ever had... able to haul, tow, and keep up with the M3s on the track. The Golf Sportwagen TDI would be an awesome upgrade.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-21-2014 06:06 PM

I've always enjoyed wagons too, initially because I liked their style more than the sedans, but also considering that a hatch is always more practical to load and unload than a trunk lid. Even considering that, let's say, a Focus sedan, would have more luggage space, it seems easier to arrange the stuff in the hatchback. Too bad the Focus wagon was never available in my country...

spacemanspif 04-21-2014 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 421114)
Too bad the Focus wagon was never available in my country...

Too bad they've killed it in this country too. And no, I do not consider a 4 door hatch back a wagon. Still VW is keeping the wagon alive, if they ax the AWD it might be worth looking into in a few years...

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-23-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspif (Post 421137)
I do not consider a 4 door hatch back a wagon

Neither do I actually. Just compared the access to the luggage compartment, which is an advantage of the wagons over the sedans. Well, maybe you have even seen pictures of European sedans with a rear hatch, that sounds as a good solution, but still doesn't look as cool as a wagon with its hearse-like profile :D