EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   Free Coroplast (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/free-coroplast-5351.html)

12voltsolar 10-01-2008 04:34 PM

Free Coroplast

If your like me you've already decided who you are going to vote for in November. No matter what your political view is both Democrats and Republicans have one great thing in common. They print up their 'vote for me' signs on coroplast!
Big signs and small signs that are all sitting there on the side of the roads.

I figure what a great way to recycle.
The real question is can I wait till election day to start harvesting?

tasdrouille 10-01-2008 05:34 PM

We have a federal election in Canada too on october the 14th. I already spotted the biggest signs around and as soon as the polls are closed, I'll do my round.

dremd 10-01-2008 07:05 PM

Watch out steeling election signs guys!

I was involved with a crazy situation 4 years ago.

Warning Long story.

Dxxxx Vxxxxxr US senate (not my candidate, was later caught having been a customer of prostitutes for many many years) signs began appearing in the ditch directly in front of my house.

Disclaimer: If someone wises to distribute their political beliefs that's fine with me. However they do not need to be doing it on my property.

I started taking them down DAILY from the ditch in front of my house, one day there were razor blades in the base of the sign I cut my hand badly, I called the Sheriff, they said they would investigate, never showed up. A few days later I was removing another sign from the ditch in front of my house; my neighbor ran his truck through the ditch to hit me with his truck, he then accused me of stealing his signs. I told him that they were on my property. He said I was stealing his signs and he was calling the cops. The cops showed up, asked me what happened, I told them, then they arrested me! For Theft! I said I wanted to press aggravated battery charges against him and they refused to take the statement (until later). Went to jail, got out, started asking around and come to find out in Louisiana 22 feet from the center of the roadway is public domain and to remove an item from public domain you must contact the sheriff, he personally must come out and inspect the item, sign an orange sticker, then the item is considered abandoned, it must remain untouched for 90 days (which would be long after the election) before it can be legally removed. So anyway I started putting signs in his front yard for my candidate, he didn't like that and it escalated in to an arms race which completely sucked.

SO BE CAREFUL REMOVING SIGNS!!!!!!! We don't need any ecomodders doing any time.

ankit 10-01-2008 08:48 PM

Crazy story^. Why didn't he just put the signs in his own yard? The cop didn't say anything about his aggravated assault?

OP: I'd call up the headquarters to see if they would just give you a few after the election is over to avoid something weird happening like what happened to dremd. Or if not, you can just ask your neighbors (if they are friendly) for the signs ahead of time.

dremd 10-01-2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankit (Post 64667)
Crazy story^. Why didn't he just put the signs in his own yard?

He Did; LOTS of them, infact he put lots of them everyplace within 1/2 mile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankit (Post 64667)
The cop didn't say anything about his aggravated assault?

Cop told me that he was the one who called so he was automatically the victim. What a load of BS. In the end everything was dropped (both sides).

I doubt that I need to mention what candidate the Sheriff supported.

As long as they are not crazy you'll be fine.

bluesfan 10-01-2008 10:57 PM

Louisiana state law, like provincial law in Quebec Canada, is similar to the law in Mexico. All are based on the Napoleonic Code.

For most of us in North America, British common law is the basis for the legal system. In British common law, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Under the Napoleonic Code, the reverse is true.

jamesqf 10-01-2008 11:38 PM

Of course, you could just volunteer to put up a campaign sign or two for your candidates of choice. No need to mention your ulterior motive :-)

Sean T. 10-01-2008 11:38 PM

Find some posted outside a business, and go there after the polls are closed and ask if you can have the signs.

Tell them about how you will be taking care of them for free, so they won't have to go out in the cold and take them down.

That's what I plan to do.... but yeah... it's hard to wait. :(

tasdrouille 10-01-2008 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesfan (Post 64698)
Louisiana state law, like provincial law in Quebec Canada, is similar to the law in Mexico. All are based on the Napoleonic Code.

For most of us in North America, British common law is the basis for the legal system. In British common law, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Under the Napoleonic Code, the reverse is true.

The Quebec civil code, which governs persons, relations between persons, and property, is in harmony with the Quebec charter of human rights and freedoms and the general principles of law.

The Quebec charter of human rights and freedoms clearly states the right to the presumption of innocence.

Anyway, back to elections signs. They usually have voluntaries or they pay to have them removed. I'll actually be doing them a favor. I nonetheless called to ask permission.

Z man 10-02-2008 02:19 AM

Just use the sign on your car without cutting it up and support the candidate while saving gas!

Sean T. 10-02-2008 02:23 AM

ooh good idea....

but where do people get those giant signs to begin with?

Chris D. 10-02-2008 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean T. (Post 64733)
ooh good idea....

but where do people get those giant signs to begin with?

sign shop? :confused: :thumbup::D

12voltsolar 10-02-2008 09:43 AM

dremd - that is a crazy story! (and a fair warning to the rest of us) What state do you live in?

I live on the border of Maine and New Hampshire and have called both states home at different times. I tend to follow the "Live Free Or Die" motto of NH but to be clear I was saying that it will be hard to wait till November, but I can wait, don't need to go to jail for cheap plastic.

I'll go talk to the neighbor that has 2 giant signs zip tied to his fence. I figure those signs are junk the day after the election and I'm just doing my part to clean up the trash like a good steward of the environment. I bet the guy will be psyched I'm cleaning it up for him.

it is going to take a lot of coroplast to cover the entire underside of the A4 wagon.

dremd 10-02-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12voltsolar (Post 64776)
dremd - that is a crazy story! (and a fair warning to the rest of us) What state do you live in?

Louisiana
Lafayette Parish (somewhat similar to county in the rest of the nation)

Our Laws are significantly differant than other states. As stated above based on Napoleonic code rather than British. Drives Lawyers mad when crossing state lines.

First thing that comes to mind is the 7 year fence law, if you have a fence around property (or claim to) the property becomes yours; a lot like a common law marriage. My family got screwed by that one when I was young.

I just had a good idea; run by the local campaign office on November 3 and volunteer to remove some large signs.

tasdrouille 10-02-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dremd (Post 64787)
Louisiana
Lafayette Parish (somewhat similar to county in the rest of the nation)

Our Laws are significantly differant than other states. As stated above based on Napoleonic code rather than British. Drives Lawyers mad when crossing state lines.

First thing that comes to mind is the 7 year fence law, if you have a fence around property (or claim to) the property becomes yours; a lot like a common law marriage. My family got screwed by that one when I was young.

We have something similar here, called the acquisitive prescription, it's 15 years for immovable property. If you live peaceably on a on a property for 15 years, so basically no one ever told you to move out, you can claim rights to it in court.

AppleMac*Fit 11-12-2008 11:56 AM

I got my coroplast the day after the election. :) I'm using it for an upper grill block. The lower grill I'm going to use Lexan.