Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Turning an aggresive driver to our side

A sort of success story. If the mods disagree, please move to appropriate sub forum.

I was on the road during the afternoon rush, an upcoming traffic light turns red, I let off the throttle and cruise in gear. As usual, people behind interpret that as poor driving and all change lanes to rush to the red light. This one guy in a pickup was particularly assholish about it. He came right up to my bumper, swerves violently to the next lane, floors it to get in front of me then immediately had to brake for the red light. I may have uttered an expletive:P Anyway, the light turns green and the pickup guy continue to dart through traffic. Quite a few lights later, the pickup and I are side by side again because we all know that aggressive driving hardly ever get you any further in traffic.

The guy rolls down his window and tries to get my attention. I reach to turn down my stereo, nervously expecting angry verbal attacks. Instead, the guy said: "hey, you're right, just relax." ...I was in shock. People never understand us eco-drivers, to have an aggressive driver suddenly showing appreciation for our sensible driving style was a very novel experience. I was still in defensive mode from expecting insults so I didn't even clue in to what he said until after we both drove off again.

By seeing me catch up to him with my mellow driving style, did he really realized the futility of his aggressive driving? There was no sarcasm or hostility in what he said. He also really relaxed his right foot after saying that so maybe the impossible did happen: someone encountered eco-style driving, understood its benefits and immediately became a more sensible driver!

Still seems too fantastical to be true.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Cool. Hope it sticks.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2003 Ninja EX250 - '03 Kawasaki Ninja EX250
90 day: 78.57 mpg (US)

Saturn - '99 Saturn SL1 Base
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)
I particularly notice how un-ecomodically people drive when sitting in traffic on the highway. Its great to see people slow down to a stand still, then speed up to 55-60 only to come to a stand still again a half mile down the highway... kind of like a flowing slinky. Meanwhile, i maintain about 30-40mph and just cruise along, watch people fly by me, sometimes giving me a "why the heck are you driving so slow" gesture, and then ill catch back up to them when they are stopped. It kind of sets off that inner ecomodder in you .

Sometimes when sitting at stoplights, i want to say to the driver around me "Was it really worth racing to this red light?", or "Was it really worth riding that guys ass?".

Some people will never get it. Maybe when gas hits $5.00/gal they'll understand.

If you have to use your brakes, you are driving too fast!

My 101.5 MPG 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Crude Oil Price Today
Old 07-28-2009, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
I learned this too, the slinky traffic in a rig growing up with my dad. cars are like yoyos, and we always caught up to them. today it happens more than ever, as the rigs are in the 70s mph very easily. The only time ever to use power nominally at higher speeds was loong empty highway, further putting the wheelie poppers in there places. that hardly happens for alot of car makers' countries. It is my #1 gripe with ecomod. A car can go long distance, high speed and be economical in traffic...there are hardly any.
Anyway, I am glad that guy wasn't just being a jerk.
The sube and I are quite "blippy" in traffic, it is not intentional it is just a quick blippy stiff rally type kinda rolling fast buggy...and it is my slow mode. Ironic to your story.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
One time I was working on the ceiling of a downtown hotel. To get the kink out of my neck, I had to spend considerable time looking down at the adjacent busy intersection. It became obvious that if people had been trying to co-operate, all the traffic would have made it through each light instead of staying backed up.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
yang -

Quote:
Originally Posted by yang View Post

The guy rolls down his window and tries to get my attention. I reach to turn down my stereo, nervously expecting angry verbal attacks. Instead, the guy said: "hey, you're right, just relax." ...I was in shock. People never understand us eco-drivers, to have an aggressive driver suddenly showing appreciation for our sensible driving style was a very novel experience. I was still in defensive mode from expecting insults so I didn't even clue in to what he said until after we both drove off again.

Still seems too fantastical to be true.
That's pretty classy. Even when we know we're wrong, we usually stick to our guns. Do you have any stickers on the back of your car or was it just your driving behavior that clued him in?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Do you have any stickers on the back of your car or was it just your driving behavior that clued him in?
No stickers. Maybe he saw the scangauge on my dash but I doubt it.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bone's 2010 Prius - '10 Toyota Prius Black
90 day: 56.78 mpg (US)
I'm not a sticker guy...more because I'm a clean freak than anything and like the stock look of my car, house, etc. but I think any indication of your intentions (driving slowly, support a political party, your kid is an honor student, etc.) brings more grief than glory.

When driving for FE I take the vacation POV..."I'll never see these people again so what do I care if they think I'm driving too slow, wearing a certain outfit, having fun with my friends/family, etc."

Yang - A good story and one that I wish we saw more of on the road...thanks for the post!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
yang -

Quote:
Originally Posted by yang View Post
No stickers. Maybe he saw the scangauge on my dash but I doubt it.
I think that makes the story even better. He figured it out himself.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 07-29-2009, 01:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
I think that makes the story even better. He figured it out himself.
CarloSW2
Exactly! I'm still pretty surprised by this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Herring View Post
...that I wish we saw more of on the road.
Me too!

Reply  Post New Thread