EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Front bumper aerodynamic testing (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/front-bumper-aerodynamic-testing-20134.html)

Gone2 01-17-2012 07:35 PM

Front bumper aerodynamic testing

1 Attachment(s)
So after I installed my new bumper, I duct taped it with several layers of tape to see if it helped my gas mileage, and we all know what that does. I have the issue that I love the way the 200sx bumper looks, so I am going to see if blocking the back of the cutouts, instead of the front, renders the same result. I have several "calibrated hills" on my daily drive that I know what speeds should be when. I will post back soon. Here is my car with the mirror reduction and swapped grill and bumper.

Gone2 02-24-2012 08:26 PM

So I noticed actually the same FE results whether the block was on the front face or recessed into the bumper. So after some work with coroplast and lawn edging, I have a final product (for the moment) that I would love to show if the stinking page would let me post it. I average with this setup a consistent 39.8 mpg. That is only a 1 mpg improvement, but still a noticeable improvement. The biggest gains have been in handling, both wet and dry, and coast down. It now takes twice the distance to slow down from 55 on level roads as it use to. I drove through torrential rain coming home today and it held to the road so incredibly well. I was even running the ac and didn't see as big of a drop in fuel consumption.

jime57 02-24-2012 10:45 PM

That's a 2.5% improvement from the grill block. That is about what most folks report, though the accuracy of most measurements is a bit dodgy.

jime57 02-24-2012 10:49 PM

That's a 2.5% improvement from the grill block. That is about what most folks report, though the accuracy of most measurements is a bit dodgy.

Inside or outside the grill work shouldn't make much difference. You are basically just shutting off the lossy flow through the radiator and engine compartment. The actual shape of the grill block makes little difference as the entire area is a high pressure point.

CigaR007 02-24-2012 11:19 PM

While a grille block can reduce aerodynamic drag to some extent, its main purpose is to provide a faster warm-up. That is where, IMO, most of the gain comes from.

Gone2 02-24-2012 11:34 PM

I've been wondering if that is the case. I have a WAI and the car is at operating temps even during the coldest part of winter within 5 minutes of operation. I did notice an improvement of 4.5 mpg from no grill/bumper blocks to putting them in. I figure my mileage on tank to tank fillups.

Gone2 02-24-2012 11:35 PM

How on earth do you add pics to these files without being too big?

mwebb 02-25-2012 10:42 PM

upload first to photobucket or flickr

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentraguy (Post 289053)
How on earth do you add pics to these files without being too big?

upload to photobucket or flickr then link the upload using the image tab , 5th from the left in the toolbar when posting to a thread
like this

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3011/3...66963fb5_b.jpg

Gone2 02-27-2012 05:42 AM

Okay, here are the pics of the front of my car.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...0220121656.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...220121655a.jpg
http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...0220121655.jpg

The files were too large to link to the site.

Reloadwin 02-28-2012 09:21 AM

What did you use for the bottom front lip?

Also photobucket or ecomodder should resize the image. When you are using photobucket image tab, just copy and paste.

Gone2 02-28-2012 09:43 PM

I'll attempt it again later, I tried before and it wouldn't resize. That is lawn edging across the bottom, and man the car handles better now. I just have to be careful as the front end tends to scrape on tall speed bumps, driveway lips, etc. I did notice I am more stable in the rain than without the lip on. Next step is to test the side skirts, more lawn edging, and rear wheel skirts.

California98Civic 02-28-2012 10:59 PM

These pics are great. Are you going to duct air directly through the radiator? You can use black plumbing pipe insulation, wedging it into the cravices, securing it with zip ties at key spots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reloadwin (Post 289783)
What did you use for the bottom front lip?

He's using black lawn edging, same stuff I used, and I got the idea from Frank Lee and others on here... but they got it out of that great well spring of useful knowledge sometimes known as "redneck engineering". Awesome.

Gone2 02-29-2012 03:54 AM

I swapped out grills a couple of months ago, and the only spot for air to enter the engine bay now is a slit about an inch tall above the front bumper. It goes right through the radiator and keeps the engine plenty cool, no ducting needed. I love the spoiler so far, and it was absolutely worth the investment.

California98Civic 02-29-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentraguy (Post 290081)
I swapped out grills a couple of months ago, and the only spot for air to enter the engine bay now is a slit about an inch tall above the front bumper. It goes right through the radiator and keeps the engine plenty cool, no ducting needed. I love the spoiler so far, and it was absolutely worth the investment.

Watch your running temps as the days get warmer in North Carolina this spring. You might want to open a small area in your current grill block and duct it and the 1 inch crevice in your upper grill, so that no air can go around the radiator, but rather all has to go through it. It helps in the warmer seasons.

Gone2 02-29-2012 09:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, my truck was horribly prone to overheating in the summer time. I have toyed with making an adjustable vent that goes to a lawn mower throttle mounted on my center column. This would enable me to open up for more air if the car starts running hot.

SoCalMP5 03-01-2012 04:18 AM

Holy cow...that thing looks like a lifted 4x4! I'd do something about that wheel to fender gap! ;)

kingsway 03-01-2012 05:40 AM

I wish we could buy shaped lawn-edging like that here in the UK! Makes a really nice looking job of it.

All I can find is 1mm thick flat stuff...

Gone2 03-01-2012 11:37 AM

SoCal, I am working on finding a combination tire upsize, suspension lowering that will fit and be affordable enough to justify. I have debated a partial front wheel skirt, but that is just a mental though right now. Those Sentra's have dang good wheel travel off road btw.

Kingsway, you may be able to order that kind of edging online, if you are willing to pay for shipping. It is less than $6 in my part of the country.

Today is a warm day, so I will see how the bumper effects engine temps. Hopefully I don't need to rig up a vent.

kingsway 03-01-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentraguy (Post 290357)
SoCal, I am working on finding a combination tire upsize, suspension lowering that will fit and be affordable enough to justify. I have debated a partial front wheel skirt, but that is just a mental though right now. Those Sentra's have dang good wheel travel off road btw.

Kingsway, you may be able to order that kind of edging online, if you are willing to pay for shipping. It is less than $6 in my part of the country.

Today is a warm day, so I will see how the bumper effects engine temps. Hopefully I don't need to rig up a vent.

The cost of shipping from the US is pretty scary... I paid nearly double for an Ultraguage when you add shipping and customs duty :eek:

Gone2 03-01-2012 09:33 PM

It's been a long time since I have been over your way, I completely forgot about the customs duty. Have you tried to look for some rubber seal for the bottom of a garage door. I had a friend of mine use that for his car. He had to reinforce it, but it is still holding up.