Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
linoleum as aero-mod meterial!!!

yesterday i was picking up some paint and wallpaper at a store and while looking trough the flooring section i noticed they had some undersized roles of flooring like linoleum, vinyl and carpet on discount.

i picked up a role of back and white marbled linoleum of roughly 3 sqare meters for 11 euro's... the uglier and less suitable-for-flooring dimetions you go the cheaper

that's quite some material for makeing dams and perhaps a rear diffuser. it's flexible and quite strong (i've had something similar on the floor of my old room at my parents house, and it still looks the same as the day it was layed over 10 years ago) it's stiff but flexible so i don't think the impact that broke my last effort at a wheeldam would have an effect on it. but the fact you can get it in huge sheets means you could virtually cover the whole bottom of a car front to back with a single piece...

i'm not sure how well it stands up to heat and it's not self suppotive, it could be used to create a morphing skin for a rear axle for example... also wheel fairing come to mind. also airdams wich are likely to scrape from time to time could be possible.

if i find some time between renovating my house to actually do somethign with it i'll post some pics but i thought i'd mention this for anyone looking for a relatively cheap rubbery material.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread