Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Classifieds > For Sale
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
City-el 3-wheel enclosed EV

1993 City-el; look and ran great, but 4th battery added and now overwired. Was 36V (3 12V lead cell) but now 48V (4 lead cell) with extensive wiring, relays, junctions, 4 onboard chargers, meter, etc.

New tires, good canvas Cabrio top, good body/paint/interior, signals-brake/headlight/backup light- wipers- heater- fan ; all good.

Tops over 45 mph but drains batteries very fast accelerating. Current problem is the relay on one battery tripped, drained all 4 batteries, and is so complicated the whole system will not recharge correctly. Distance is very bad now, but still runs great for very short runs.

Either I will trade for a plain 36V City-el, or will sell for $5000.US Live next door - drive it home but I suggest a mover! Santa Cruz, CA. may be a few miles.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	City-EL.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1965  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

City-El

Is your City-EL still for sale?
DW
Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

WOW! In October it would not sell at all, so I yanked this ad and paid the DMV about $650. (tax, transfer, transfer, 2010 license) and put more money into the City-el mechanicals: bought new tires, a large battery booster, re-wired, re-fused, and when finished just accepted exceeding City-el limits- battery voltage and weight, top speed, acceleration.

I am planning to buy an Eco Motors EMC3 (discussion thread - alternate transportation I think) and will sell the City-el, but now that it is an operable vehicle- it would cost more than the ad stated! I haven't added costs/spare parts I have spent since this ad; I would sell it for right around $8000. now (basic cost was $5500.+ DMV = over $6000.!)
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

just curious but would this EL get better mileage and power with better batteries? Say the LiFE MGPO4 I'm looking at doing a GB on? They have their own BMS and are all communication linked to make sure they charge evenly. That would be a great deal with some good batteries (pending they give it a bump in range and power).
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Frenzy View Post
just curious but would this EL get better mileage and power with better batteries? Say the LiFE MGPO4.
Yes, that would make a terrific improvement. It has 4 crummy Sears DieHards- new in 2007, and it took off faster than I expected, goes much faster now than it is supposed to (50 mph now; before 40 mph max stock!).

The City-el should have 3 batteries- 36V, but with 48V (54V right off the charger) it has more than enough power! The former owner who set this all up changed the gearing, so I don't know if upgrades would help distance.

Those lousy Sears batteries were about $1200. I know they have been over-charged over the years (I double charge 1 battery at a time while charging all 4) and when they completely die; I will hopefully have an EMC3!
Old 06-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Amazing that this ad is still here! Rather than re-edit and discuss additions/repairs, ad pictures, or describe it more completely- I will just add to it, change the price, include a link; details, 9 photos in the EV Album: Chris Jordan's CityCom CityEL
It has about 300 miles more since then and the price is $8500. (includes manuals, spare parts, chargers, large motorcycle jack, receipts, 2010 CA. license, clear DMV owner records)
Old 06-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Grasshopper

Makai - '01 Toyota Echo 4D Auto
90 day: 34.45 mpg (US)

New Galaxy - '07 Toyota Prius
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)
what did you do to improve it from last time?
Old 06-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Some wires out/gone replaced with newer relays, fuses, microrelays, reverse shift gone and replaced with double throw toggle, new DieHard microprocesser/charger, new leds, had computer wiring re-done, new tires were failing- so heavy duty tubes did the trick, auto electric gave up after not finding any problems. It is ready for the Microcar show in Santa Cruz July 12, but it is always an unfinished project. Exceeds weight/speed/acceleration limits and gets a little hot up hills. As mentioned before; I was waiting the EMC3; but no EMC3 - so I am in no hurry, but City-el is not even trying to sell in the US. Eventually I want something that is more common here.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Micro Car show?

I'd love to exhibit my 3 wheeled electric micro-car, but I cannot find anything about any show in Santa Cruz on July 12. Do you have more information?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

From current e-mail:
The latest is that we may stop by some Santa Cruz residents who have antique cars in their basements while we are on our caravan ...........And/or wind up somewhere for an icecream social.

Start time will be 10:00 am and we will eat our Pot Luck lunch probably around 1pm before caravanning.
I never saw an announcement, but when 5 cars were mentioned right down the street, I asked- meet at Bay St. & West Cliff Drive, show n' shine, potluck, caravan to downtown Garden Mall then out to the end of the wharf, then out West Cliff to Natural Bridges was announced on the Microcars Yahoo! group. Last I heard the Citroen Club may also be coming. I don't know the whole story!

Reply  Post New Thread