EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   fs: san diego honda del sol d15z1 VX Civic 50+mpg CALIFORNIA BAR Certified conversion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fs-san-diego-honda-del-sol-d15z1-vx-4000.html)

fistopher 07-23-2008 01:12 AM

fs: san diego honda del sol d15z1 VX Civic 50+mpg CALIFORNIA BAR Certified conversion

selling a car I converted to get great gas mileage. I have more on the way too. Thanks asking 6k.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/car/766207570.html

thanks for catching that, roflwaffle. I figure its a fair price. I did a lot of work to convert it.

roflwaffle 07-23-2008 02:59 AM

Damn son, ya want my first born too? ;)
But seriously, you may want to use a link that doesn't allow whoever clicks on it to edit your CL posting. :D

Johnny Mullet 07-23-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 46742)
you may want to use a link that doesn't allow whoever clicks on it to edit your CL posting. :D

OMG :eek:

Might want to edit that link :rolleyes:

cfg83 07-23-2008 12:23 PM

fistopher -

Where's the update to the link? A CA-Certified VX-Del Sol sounds trey-cool.

CarloSW2

fistopher 07-23-2008 01:58 PM

new posting

I have to do a new ad. Some loser erased my ad because I mistakenly posted my account link. Oh well.

roflwaffle 07-23-2008 02:47 PM

Based on KBB, the Del Sol is worth around or a bit over $2k depending on condition, and a d15z1 plus needed components can be had for ~$400-1000 in CA, so that's ~$2.5-3k for labor, which IMO is excessive. YMMV! ;)

Ryland 07-23-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 46877)
Based on KBB, the Del Sol is worth around or a bit over $2k depending on condition, and a d15z1 plus needed components can be had for ~$400-1000 in CA, so that's ~$2.5-3k for labor, which IMO is excessive. YMMV! ;)

I was charged $400 just to swap the engine in my crx hf for another crx hf engine, when I went in to ask for a price on the swap my mecanic asked if it was an engine for that make and model because if it wasn't the price was going to be many times more, and that was just for the engine, no computer, wiring, sourcing of parts, I've also had people tell me that they would buy my civic vx for as much as $5,000 if I wanted to sell it, so $6000 for a 50+mpg del sol doesn't seem that bad, and if you don't like the price, as you said, you can build one your self, or are you not up for that?

fistopher 07-24-2008 11:36 AM

del sol

yes, they do book private party at around 2 to 3k depending on condition blah, blah etc. But considering all of the work, research, labor I put into this to get it 100% smog legal in California, I think it is worth it.

roflwaffle 07-24-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 46971)
I was charged $400 just to swap the engine in my crx hf for another crx hf engine, when I went in to ask for a price on the swap my mecanic asked if it was an engine for that make and model because if it wasn't the price was going to be many times more, and that was just for the engine, no computer, wiring, sourcing of parts, I've also had people tell me that they would buy my civic vx for as much as $5,000 if I wanted to sell it, so $6000 for a 50+mpg del sol doesn't seem that bad, and if you don't like the price, as you said, you can build one your self, or are you not up for that?

Mechanics can be rip-off artists too IME. As for using a del sol I don't think it'd be worthwhile since it's one of the fattest little car I've ever seen. A 5th or maybe 6th gen four door weighs about the same but provides more space w/ lower aero drag. Toss in a CX/VX trans and it should get similar highway and maybe slightly less in the city for a lot less cash, even if ya end up paying someone to swap transmissions and drop a new clutch in there. In terms of market value, diesel rabbits are crazy high, but that doesn't mean I think it would be fair to get a few grand for something I've put a few hundred into. :rolleyes:

roflwaffle 07-24-2008 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fistopher (Post 47192)
yes, they do book private party at around 2 to 3k depending on condition blah, blah etc. But considering all of the work, research, labor I put into this to get it 100% smog legal in California, I think it is worth it.

Getting it smog legal shouldn't be a problem AFAIK. Granted, it's not as easy as a gas to diesel swap, since the ref actually has to smog it ;), but it ain't rocket surgery either. I mean, aside from the ECU, what emissions specific stuff was different? Keeping in mind of course it doesn't have to be CA spec, just Fed spec w/ over ~12k miles IIRC.

nowhhs 07-26-2008 09:45 AM

Having done a similar conversion, I would say it absolutely IS worth it. And having kept an eye on what VXs and Metros and small diesels are actually selling for, I would have to say that KBB is full of ****.

roflwaffle 07-27-2008 03:34 AM

Seems to be pretty accurate in terms of the lower end/high mileage stuff. The better condition/lower mileage stuff has appreciated more, but the floor of ~$2k is still there. Probably less if something w/ a blow engine is found.

cfg83 07-27-2008 03:54 AM

nowhhs -

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhhs (Post 47817)
Having done a similar conversion, I would say it absolutely IS worth it. And having kept an eye on what VXs and Metros and small diesels are actually selling for, I would have to say that KBB is full of ****.

I agree but for other reasons :

1 - It's more expensive in SoCal (say with "It's Tougher In Alaska" voice). The cost of living is higher, so the cost of what you make is higher.

2 - If fistopher's intent is to make this into a living, the initial cost of early conversions will be higher, IMO. If fistopher gets it down to being a science, then he should be able to crank out ????-VXs at lower prices in the future.

3 - fistopher is doing *exactly* what we all talk about, but he is specifically doing it to make a profit. I *want* as many VX engines on the highway in Hondas or ???? as possible. Isn't this a good thing?

CarloSW2

Vince-HX 07-27-2008 04:14 AM

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay

I would say 5k, but these kinds of cars values are only going to go up.

Z1 and y5 swaps are still dirty cheap, complete swaps going for $150-300. I would start stockpiling these vtec-e engines for swaps when gas starts to really climb.

nowhhs 07-27-2008 10:17 AM

Vince hit the nail on the head. It's worth what someone is willing to pay, not what someone else thinks its worth. It isn't worth 6k to me, because I can do the work myself and I need more than 2 seats, but for those who can't and don't, I think its a reasonable price. Where I live you don't find complete swaps for $150-300 (it must be another Cali thing). And yes Carlos, if the manufacturers won't do it, I think it is a great thing that someone is putting more VX engines on the road.

nowhhs 07-27-2008 10:20 AM

Fistopher: Did you sell it already? The link is gone. I wanted to see the ad.

roflwaffle 07-28-2008 04:00 AM

I don't think anyone, including myself, is arguing that it isn't worth $6k or whatever. Like others have said, it's worth is whatever people pay for it. My point was that I felt the margins were excessive. Hell, if people are starving and will pay thousands of dollars for a meal, then that meal is worth whatever people pay for it. But IMO, someone who is taking advantage of a disproportionate difference in costs is taking excessive profit. Similarly, if oil/car/financial companies all happen to make the moves that would result in high prices for their consumers w/ profits that are disproportionate to the benefits of their products, then that's excessive too IMO. Clearly different things have different magnitudes of impact, but regardless I tend not to approve of them. Although I do disapprove of some more than others. ;)

fistopher 07-30-2008 12:25 AM

del sol

not sold yet but I got an offer of 5k coming this thurs. I will have more conversions on the way, Here are a few more pics.
*48 MPG HONDA CIVIC DEL SOL *ECO* CONVERSION* Long Expensive commute??

metromizer 07-30-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 48292)
My point was that I felt the margins were excessive...

Don't you think that's being just a little critical?

Have you ever done an engine and computer swap like this?

Not everyone has the skills to pull this off, in fact, I'd say dam few have the skills and tenacity to gather the components, let alone get it to fire then pass emissions at the ref station. Talk about jumping through hoops...

It will sell for exactly what it's worth, not a penny more. If the market will bear it, who cares? My friend's shop does V8 EFI swaps. There are so many unforeseen problems and issues he encounters, he won't even give a firm-fixed price quote. it's an industry standard. Why? If he did, he'd loose his shop in a matter of months.

If it's a clean instal and passes CA smog, $6k doesn't sound out of line to me. I wish you luck with the sale.

SVOboy 07-30-2008 10:58 PM

Roflwaffle's done lots of work himself, I think, he just doesn't put a lot of value on it, ;). I mean, if you look at the equivalent for other cars, you can put a $2k b16 in a crx and then sell it for like 200 bucks more than stock. Doing the work actually makes it less valuable, :p.

I don't think the seller is out of line in his asking price, I just don't think he'll necessarily find a buyer easily. But that's how it is, you have to find someone with the same values as you.

roflwaffle 07-31-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metromizer (Post 49347)
Don't you think that's being just a little critical?

Have you ever done an engine and computer swap like this?

Not everyone has the skills to pull this off, in fact, I'd say dam few have the skills and tenacity to gather the components, let alone get it to fire then pass emissions at the ref station. Talk about jumping through hoops...

It could be a bit critical, but then again so can anything else, my opinion as well as the opinion of others included. Yes, I've done a swap like this. Gathering the components isn't too bad, and could probably be done cheaper than my estimates IMO. Firing is just a matter of hooking everything up as per the factory manual, then troubleshooting/replacing/returning if something doesn't work. The ref inspection is just like any other smog check, just a bit more in the way of a visual inspection. Odds are, they'll poke around, make sure everything is factory, be it CA or Fed, and run it on the dyno for smog. Takes an hour or two and $30 IIRC.
Quote:

Originally Posted by metromizer (Post 49347)
It will sell for exactly what it's worth, not a penny more. If the market will bear it, who cares? My friend's shop does V8 EFI swaps. There are so many unforeseen problems and issues he encounters, he won't even give a firm-fixed price quote. it's an industry standard. Why? If he did, he'd loose his shop in a matter of months.

A matter of months? Only if he didn't know how to figure an average... ;) Like I said before, I never said that it isn't worth whatever it sells for, I just said that the profit margins are excessive IMO. :thumbup:

fistopher 07-31-2008 12:59 AM

del sol

It will be gone in the am. $5k. Done deal. Im happy, buyer is happy. Everybody is entitled to their opinion about the conversion I did and how much I'm selling it for. Support me or hate me, its all good. Thanks for the support ecomodders!!!

fistopher 08-01-2008 12:37 AM

del sol is sold

Car is sold

Vince-HX 08-01-2008 01:13 AM

Good job:cool:

Another sweet swap car would be a clean DC integra with a y5 or d15b dual stage. They mount right up with factory mounts:thumbup:

A clean Gsr shell can be had for about $1500 and a complete swap for about $450 ecu and all. A 50mpg Gsr for about 2 grand, sell for $6000.

cfg83 08-01-2008 05:23 AM

fistopher -

Quote:

Originally Posted by fistopher (Post 49827)
Car is sold

Congratulations!

EDIT: I hope he/she joins Ecomodder!

CarloSW2

fistopher 08-01-2008 12:07 PM

thanks

yes, a dual stage would be nice. Just converting it "legally" wouldn't work. Those ecu's arent offered here.

Nden 08-01-2008 07:43 PM

chris, just wondering if u got the "black control box", wire harness & 5wire o2 from junkyards here in diego? i thought i saw a thread about making your own "cootrol box" with parts from other hondas...? kudos and Njoy ur profits (alwayz better than wages)!

again kudos !!!