EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Fuel consumption data from a scan tool? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fuel-consumption-data-scan-tool-10770.html)

Gasoline Fumes 10-28-2009 07:10 AM

Fuel consumption data from a scan tool?

I have a Tech 1A scan tool that works in my 1994 Metro. Can I rely on this to give me instantaneous fuel economy feedback by watching the injector pulsewidth at a given speed? I know it won't give me MPG, but I'll be happy as long as I can see if what I'm doing is helping or hurting.

gone-ot 10-28-2009 09:44 AM

...theoretically, yes.

...practically, no.

...remember, cylinders do NOT all combust exactly the same, so the computer has to continually play a "tweeking" game between cylinders to maintain an AVERAGE optimization, rather than an individual optimization of any specific cylinder. This is because the "feedback" mechanism are the common 02-sensors, ahead of and behind, the catalytic converter...which means averaged feedback about the aggregate exhaust, not specific feedback for any one cylinder.

...nevertheless, you probably CAN gain some knowledge about what's going in the ONE cylinder you're monitoring...plus a lot of mental "integrating" of what you're seeing.

Gasoline Fumes 10-28-2009 10:50 AM

This is a TBI car, so there's only one injector.

dcb 10-28-2009 10:57 AM

the injector duty cycle can be a relative indication of gallons per hour. You can use it for relative mpg by doing the math in your head (mph/duty cycle) and try to get the lowest duty cycle for any given speed.

johnvarenda 11-30-2009 10:08 PM

hi...
Anyone know how to make it work on the SR20 ecu? could be very helpful.

Thanks in advance..

Gasoline Fumes 12-02-2009 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnvarenda (Post 142916)
hi...
Anyone know how to make it work on the SR20 ecu? could be very helpful.

Thanks in advance..

It should work on any vehicle if you can get the correct cartridges and cables for it. I only have the Suzuki stuff.

riojohn 12-04-2009 01:34 AM

HI,

PC based OBD-II Diagnostic Scanner can retrieve and describe both generic and manufacturer specific Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) giving you valuable information about why your check engine light (MIL) is illuminated.
Once a trouble code has been retrieved, you can use the scan tool to check for the cause by looking at live sensor data, emission related test results and sensor data from when the trouble code was set.
Once the problem is identified and repaired, the scan tool can reset the check engine light and clear the trouble code....

Thank you...

mwebb 12-28-2009 11:04 PM

if you have a
LOAD
or
Calculated Load

PID parameter ID

monitor that , NOT IPW
lower is better for FE
but
i do not know if OBD1 will have it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 136438)
I have a Tech 1A scan tool that works in my 1994 Metro. Can I rely on this to give me instantaneous fuel economy feedback by watching the injector pulsewidth at a given speed? I know it won't give me MPG, but I'll be happy as long as I can see if what I'm doing is helping or hurting.