EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Fuel Economy related papers (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fuel-economy-related-papers-1814.html)

tasdrouille 04-11-2008 03:12 PM

Fuel Economy related papers

I have read a lot of stuff since I got interested in fuel economy and always kept a copy of the papers I found contained interesting informations. So I decided to get my stuff organized and share it all with you. The following papers mostly deal with aerodynamics and engine or drive train efficiency.

General

REFLEXIONS SUR L’ENERGETIQUE DES VEHICULES ROUTIERS

Alternative and Future Technologies for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Road Vehicles

Vehicle Design Strategies to Meet and Exceed PNGV Goals

Improving Automobile Fuel Economy: New Standards, New Approaches

Advanced Automotive Technology: Visions of a Super-Efficient Family Car

Increasing the Fuel Economy and Safety of New Light-Duty Vehicles

A Mid-Sized Sedan Designed for High Fuel Economy and Low Emissions: The 1999 UC Davis FutureCar

Secrets of Better Fuel Economy

WHITE PAPER ON FUEL ECONOMY

Affect of Windows Down on Vehicle Fuel Economy as compared to AC load

Powertrain

IdleStop and Go: a way to improve fuel economy

The Zero Inertia Powertrain

ALTERNATIVE AND FUTURE FUELS AND ENERGY SOURCES FOR ROAD VEHICLES

Comparison of Engine Power Correction Factors for Varying Atmospheric Conditions

Engine Oil Effects on the Friction and Emissions of a Light-Duty, 2.2L Direct - Injection - Diesel Engine

Fuel Additive Strategies for Enhancing the Performance of Engines and Engine Oils

A Lesson in the Physics of Hybrid Electric Vehicles

Engine Combustion Dynamics Normal Combustion

Comparison of Engine Power Correction Factors for Varying Atmospheric Conditions

Reduced Air Pollution and Fuel Consumption With Preheated Car Engines

Evaluation of Fuel Consumption and Exhaust Emissions During Engine Warm-up

Changes of Low Load Engine Parameters by Temperature of Mixture

REDUCED COLD START EMISSIONS THROUGH USE OF ELECTRIC ENGINE HEATERS

Effects of Exhaust Throttling on Engine Performance and Residual Gas in an SI Engine

Effect of Breathing Characteristics on the Performance in Spark-Ignition Engines

Effects of Engine Operating Conditions on Catalytic Converter Temperature in an SI Engine

Aerodynamics

Aerodynamic Effects on an Automotive Rear Side View Mirror

Advanced Aerodynamic Devices to Improve the Performance, Economics, Handling and Safety of Heavy Vehicles

Vehicle Body Design

Rear Mounted Wings on Saloon Race Cars

An Experimental Investigation of the Flow Over the Rear End of a Notchback Automobile Configuration

Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles – State of the Art and Tasks for the Future

The Influence of Aerodynamics on the Design of High-Performance Road Vehicles - Part 1

The Influence of Aerodynamics on the Design of High-Performance Road Vehicles - Part 2

Fuel Savings by Means of Flaps Attached to the Base of a Trailer: Field Test Results

Development of Pneumatic Aerodynamic Devices to Improve the Performance, Economics, and Safety of Heavy Vehicles

AERODYNAMIC DEVICES TO REDUCE THE BASE- AND UNDERBODY DRAG OF SEMITRAILER UNIT

Advanced Aerodynamic Devices to Improve the Performance, Economics, Handling and Safety of Heavy Vehicles

Simple and Low-Cost Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Tractor-Trailer Trucks

DRAG OPTIMIZATION OF LIGHT TRUCKS USING COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS

Hybrid Method for Aerodynamic Shape Optimization in Automotive Industry

Developpement of a New Boundary Layer Control Technique for Automotive Wind Tunnel Testing

Effect of moving surface on the aerodynamic drag of road vehicles

Large-eddy simulation of flow separation over an airfoil with synthetic jet control

EXTERNAL FLOWS: BOUNDARY LAYER AND SEPARATION

Some Elementary Aspects of Boundary Layer Theory

Pickup Truck Aerodynamics – Keep Your Tailgate Up

Flow-Field Measurement of Device-Induced Embedded Streamwise Vortex on a Flat Plate

The Effect of Vortex Persistence on Boundary Layer Behavior

Effects of Surface Roughness and Vortex Generators on the NACA 4415 Airfoil

UNSTEADY FLUID MECHANICS OF STARTING-FLOW VORTEX GENERATORS WITH TIME-DEPENDENT BOUNDARY CONDITIONS

Effect of Vortex Generators in Confined Swirl Flow

Adaptive Separation Control System Using Vortex Generator Jets for Time-Varying Flow

VORTEX GENERATORS TECHNICAL TRIALS ARTICULATED HGV

Flow Separation From Free Surfaces

AERODYNAMIC DEVELOPMENT OF THE PORSCHE 907LH/005

Fundamental Study of Aerodynamic Drag Reduction for Vehicle with Feedback Flow Control

Progress in Reducing Aerodynamic Drag for Higher Efficiency of Heavy Duty Trucks

Reducing Aerodynamic Drag and Fuel Consumption

Velocity and Aerodynamic Drag

Micro-Vortex Generators

Research on Aerodynamic Drag Reduction by Vortex Generators

CFD modeling of the flow around the Ahmed vehicle model

Advanced Aerodynamic Trailer Technology

Rolling resistance

TYRE ROLLING RESISTANCE ON ROAD

Passenger Tire Rolling Resistance

Rolling Resistance Testing: California Energy Commission’s Fuel Efficient Tire Program

The influence of tyre pressure on the comfort and handling of passenger cars

LABORATORY INVESTIGATION OF TYRE SLIDING GRIP COEFFICIENT

TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH BOARD SPECIAL REPORT 286: TIRES AND PASSENGER VEHICLE FUEL ECONOMY

Duffman 04-11-2008 03:16 PM

I see a sticky coming. Good work.

fabrio. 04-11-2008 07:07 PM

good list:thumbup:

MetroMPG 04-11-2008 07:46 PM

Excellent list - stickied. Thanks Tas.

johnpr 04-11-2008 08:00 PM

great list, thanks for posting it

tasdrouille 04-15-2008 07:20 PM

BTW, feel free to add any link that you consider contains useful info in regards to FE, and I'll add them in the first post. I mostly linked to PDF files (all but one), but there are tons of other useful links for sure (from the top of my head I can think of a few over at autospeed).

SVOboy 04-15-2008 07:27 PM

Super sweet list.

PA32R 04-19-2008 03:39 PM

Superb! Thanks for your efforts.

jpgmtech 04-24-2008 07:57 PM

Nice!!!

Vanner 06-26-2008 05:33 PM

input vs. output

Tas, that's an impressive list. Do you perhaps have documentation related to output vs. input for any specific engines (especially the chevy 305)? Something like torque vs. fuel consumption? Any leads on where to find it? Thanks for any advice...

tasdrouille 06-27-2008 07:23 AM

Vanner, what you are looking for is a bsfc map (brake specific fuel consumption). It usually plots fuel consumption per hp per hour against bmep (brake mean effective pressure, torque / displacement). You might try goggle, but bsfc maps are often hard to come by.

Vanner 06-27-2008 08:34 AM

bsfc

So I've noticed. But that is exactly what im looking for, thanks very much for the tip!

aerohead 07-10-2008 06:28 PM

bsfc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanner (Post 38874)
So I've noticed. But that is exactly what im looking for, thanks very much for the tip!

I've got some ancient stuff,might be some small-block Chevy stuff in there.I'll look.If we new the van's road load horsepower,and driveline efficiency,knowing the mpg,we could reverse-engineer for the bsfc.I know that Hucho has some general bsfc maps in his book.They say,that given a few parameters,that other engines can be superimposed onto these maps.I have little experience with such things.Too bad the car makers don't publish stuff like this.Kinda like buying a laptop with no data for for the CPU.

aerohead 07-14-2008 06:49 PM

Chevy 305

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanner (Post 38686)
Tas, that's an impressive list. Do you perhaps have documentation related to output vs. input for any specific engines (especially the chevy 305)? Something like torque vs. fuel consumption? Any leads on where to find it? Thanks for any advice...

Vanner,I dug through my materials.No specific data for 305,but found BSFC maps for 250,289,and 350 cu in engines.0.45 lbs/hp-hr appears to be top efficiency for these small block engines.For the 350(most like your 305) 0.45 lbs occurs as a very narrow island of performance,within a boundary between 1,350-2,600 rpm,and a loading of 55-105 horsepower.Outside those parameters,and fuel consumption goes up.This is a 8.5:1 compression ratio engine.

MazdaMatt 07-14-2008 07:19 PM

ooooooh, i like the one for big trucks. My honda uses less fuel in 8 hours at full throttle on a race track than my F350 cube uses just getting to the race track doing 90km/h.

gasti_ako 09-10-2008 02:11 AM

this is useful for newbies like me ;)

CoupeDude 10-16-2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 43981)
Vanner,I dug through my materials.No specific data for 305,but found BSFC maps for 250,289,and 350 cu in engines.0.45 lbs/hp-hr appears to be top efficiency for these small block engines.For the 350(most like your 305) 0.45 lbs occurs as a very narrow island of performance,within a boundary between 1,350-2,600 rpm,and a loading of 55-105 horsepower.Outside those parameters,and fuel consumption goes up.This is a 8.5:1 compression ratio engine.

Aerohead, where did you get the BSFC maps for the 350 Chevy. I'd really like to get a copy. Thanks.

Vanner 10-25-2008 04:02 PM

Thank you aerohead, you rule. I will definitely apply these numbers, the best way being to just put a smaller engine in. Maybe a smaller throttle body would be good enough... No, what me and my empty wallet are actually going to do is just not take the van outside 1350-2600 rpm. Haha with a final drive of 3.73:1 that's like 30 mph. Anyone have a super low (~2.30) heavy duty rear end laying around??

PaleMelanesian 11-03-2008 12:21 PM

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Paper #2 on the list just went dark. Anyone have a copy or want to host it somewhere?

tasdrouille 11-03-2008 12:40 PM

Looks like Transport Canada Environmental Affairs pulled it. I wrote to ask what's going on.

Google still have it cached though

PaleMelanesian 11-03-2008 02:17 PM

Text is there. Pics are broken, though. :(

*facepalm* I KNEW I should have saved it. Such a great paper.

tasdrouille 11-03-2008 02:51 PM

Well, at least my tax dollars are at work. I already got a reply from an actual person who forwarded my request to Transport Canada multimedia publishing services dept.

PaleMelanesian 11-03-2008 02:58 PM

Wow. That's cool. Unexpected, but cool.

tasdrouille 11-10-2008 02:56 PM

See the email trail below. I ended up in file 13. Guess I'm gonna have to try throwing it higher up. It's funny how it got bounced around. Just what you would expect from the bureaucracy.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 2:03 PM
To: Martin
Cc: Heather; David
Subject: RE: Missing report

This is the only version of this report we can find that is still available electronically. We don't know why they have removed it from the TC site. They have removed several other important documents and we are trying to have them restored but so far have had no success. Sorry we can't be of more help.

Regards,
Russell

Sent: November 10, 2008 1:44 PM
To: Russell

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my request. However, this is not exactly what I was looking for. It is missing most of the figures that are in the original report. The link provided is the same thing as the google cached version of the report I was able to access before I sent my request. So, is this report lost forever? Any reason why the report was pulled from Welcome Page | Page d'accueil in the first place?

Thank you and have a nice day,

Martin

Sent: Monday, November 10, 2008 1:18 PM
To: Martin
Subject: FW: Missing report
Importance: High

Here is a link to the requested report.

Alternative and Future Technologies

Sent: November 10, 2008 1:08 PM
To: Russell

Russell:

See if you can find the document requested (Alternative and Future Technologies for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Road Vehicles).

THnaks,
Dave

Sent: November 10, 2008 11:23 AM
To: David
Cc: Patricia

Good morning David,

Any updates on this issue?

Thanks

Heather
Publication Information Officer

Sent: November 5, 2008 10:13 AM
To: Black, David
Cc: Heather; Patricia

Hi David,

Patricia suggested that I contact you re. the request below. Can you help?

Rachael

Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2008 9:57 AM
To: Rachael
Cc: Heather

Hi Rachael,
I am in Vancouver this week, so I suggest that you call David with Environmental Policy. They may have an updated version. Cheers,
Pat

Sent: November 4, 2008 4:13 PM
To: Patricia
Cc: Heather

Hi Patricia,

I was given your name by Cybèle. Would you be able to respond to the request below?

Thanks,
Rachael

Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:54 PM
To: Rachael
Cc: Erik; Denise

Good afternoon Rachael,

The MPS order desk received this request from Martin looking for a report "Alternative and Future Technologies for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Road Vehicles" do you have such a report? Please advise.

Thanks

Heather
Publication Information Officer

Sent: November 4, 2008 1:24 PM
To: Heather

Good afternoon,

I have received this item in the MPS folder, I am unable to locate the item. Any ideas?

Erik

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 2:26 PM
To: Multimedia Publishing Services / Services des publications multimédias
Cc:

Hello all,

could you please follow-up with the client?

Regards,

Donat
CSSG Service Desk

Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 12:44 PM
To: WEB Feedback
Subject: Missing report

name: Martin
email:
comments: Hi,

The report "Alternative and Future Technologies for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Road Vehicles" which was located at the following url : http://www.tc.gc.ca/programs/Environ...nal_report.htm is no longer available. It was there no later than last august. Could you please tell me how I can access this report again.

Thank you and have a nice day,

Martin
province: Quebec

PaleMelanesian 11-10-2008 03:15 PM

:rolleyes:

THANK YOU for trying.

PA32R 11-10-2008 03:16 PM

I saved that report on another computer. I'll get it posted later.

TestDrive 01-31-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA32R (Post 71781)
I saved that report on another computer. I'll get it posted later.

Hopefully you just forgot about this (it's not lost forever).
Here is a friendly reminder.
Nudge, nudge. ;) ;)

PA32R 01-31-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestDrive (Post 85951)
Hopefully you just forgot about this (it's not lost forever).
Here is a friendly reminder.
Nudge, nudge. ;) ;)

Thanks for the reminder - but is there a place at this site that will host the file? If so, I'll do it right away.

stardvd555 05-04-2009 03:13 AM

thanx for your sahring

PA32R 08-15-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA32R (Post 85966)
Thanks for the reminder - but is there a place at this site that will host the file? If so, I'll do it right away.

I actually sent all the file information to Tasdrouille, I'm wondering if he was able to get it posted anywhere? If so, I can't find it. Lucky me, I still have my copy but there's a demand for it in the Fora.:thumbup:

Vekke 03-02-2010 01:49 PM

Here are few finnish fuel economy related test reports:

http://www.motiva.fi/files/1027/2006..._eng_final.pdf

http://www.motiva.fi/files/950/annua...ng_07-rev1.pdf

http://www.motiva.fi/files/948/annua..._-2007_eng.pdf

Enjoy!

I will not save those on harddrive etc, but if someone is feels the need to do so please post links here...

Vekke 01-18-2011 10:48 AM

Find a great source for free reasearch documents:

Free download pdf: truck drag reduction

Just write what you need and see what papers are available ;).

ausias 03-01-2012 02:52 PM

maybe you could find complementary info refrent to Tire Rolling Resistance in:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-db-18989.html

gone-ot 03-06-2012 12:22 PM

...2002 SAE paper on "Automotive Ignition Transfer Efficiency":

http://www.pulstar.com/pdf/TechPaper_SAE.pdf

ever_green 08-09-2013 12:02 PM

a paper regarding effects of ignition timing, air fuel ratio and ethanol on brake specific fuel consumption and torque. This is good if you have a scangauge 2 and wondering what to do with the IGN (ignition timing) during acceleration.

http://www.sid.ir/En/VEWSSID/J_pdf/856200801B07.pdf

litesong 09-02-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ever_green (Post 384353)
a paper regarding effects of ignition timing, air fuel ratio and ethanol on brake specific fuel consumption and torque.

An old paper pushing old ideas, one by Ricardo that ethanol can be efficient, if you tinker enough with a gasoline engine designed & built to burn 100% gasoline(ethanol-free).

Well, the many hundreds of millions(more?) of gasoline engines, designed & built to burn 100% gasoline, are still at their best when burning 100% gasoline..... no tinkering or expensive or time consuming modifications need apply.

This is NOT rocket science, but it is good 100% gasoline engine science.

ThermionicScott 01-11-2017 03:28 PM

I saw the "Reduced Air Pollution ... with Pre-Heated Engines" paper mentioned in another thread, but it's no longer available through the link in the OP. If this is the same one, could the OP be updated? https://www.witpress.com/Secure/elib.../UT98035FU.pdf

Similarly, the "REDUCED COLD START EMISSIONS THROUGH USE OF ELECTRIC ENGINE HEATERS" paper can now be found here:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc...=rep1&type=pdf

Vekke 03-12-2017 02:05 PM

diesel engine optimization: http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewco...87&context=etd

BLSTIC 09-10-2017 12:48 AM

Hydrogen Loonies* will want to read this one

NASA on Gasoline/Hydrogen blends and changes in combustion

It goes through the benefits and total energy usage of hydrogen.

TLDR: Gasoline usage goes down, but total energy use goes up in most cases, and only gets low % better under ideal cases (not enough to counter hydrogen manufacture inefficiencies, they were using bottled hydrogen and not manufactured on demand), but combustion & emissions benefits are a real thing.

*I used to be a hydrogen enthusiast/loony. I even made my own very high volume electrolysis hydrogen generators. I kept a proper open mind though (not a 'the man hides this secret tech' open mind, the kind of open mind where you thoroughly explore the merits behind any given argument). This paper ended that particular fantasy, as it was able to confirm why I thought hydrogen should work, in a worst case efficiency scenario (most room for improvement), and all my theories were correct. They also had energy usage numbers that actually stack up, against HHO generation.

rmay635703 03-18-2021 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a graph I have not seen before

Sadly it emits any units so no comparison between with emissions equipment and without can be made, sadly the graph was made without EGR which would likely make a tremendous difference on the bottom graph going right

Can anyone find this WITH UNITS?

Source

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th....339010/page-2