EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   fuel efficiency of vehicles has improved more than efficiency of drivers (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fuel-efficiency-vehicles-has-improved-more-than-efficiency-25182.html)

Frank Lee 03-10-2013 12:04 AM

fuel efficiency of vehicles has improved more than efficiency of drivers

Quote:

Cars on American roads have improved their fuel economy. The people who drive them? Not so much.

Our driving habits have collectively diminished some of the fuel-economy gains provided by advances in technology over the past four decades, says a new University of Michigan study. Automakers have increased the fuel efficiency of the nation's fleet by 40 percent since 1970. But there's been a net gain in collective fuel efficiency of only 17 percent over the same timeframe.

Here's why: More than ever, Americans like driving alone. In 1970, there were an average of 1.9 people per vehicle. In 2010, the average was 1.38.

"We increasingly value the flexibility of going where we want and when we want, despite the incremental cost of gasoline, says Michael Sivak, the study's author. "Clearly, we would save a lot of gasoline if we would car pool more, but that comes at a cost of flexibility."

Fewer people per car means more people driving their own cars, each using their own gasoline and thus decreasing the country's net efficiency. The shift has come at a time when the cost of gasoline has comparatively skyrocketed from an average of 36 cents per gallon in 1970 to $2.79 in 2010, according to the study.

Sivak, the director of the Sustainable Worldwide Transportation consortium within the university's Transportation Research Institute, culled his data from research statistics kept by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

He says another reason why the country's efficiency increases haven't matched that of automakers is that even as drivers are more conscious of their fuel economy, they tend to drive more as they increase their fuel savings. So in the end, they don't save as much on gas costs as they think.

"If you look at a large group of people who have bought new cars, they tend to drive more," he said.

Some more numbers from Sivak's study, which you can find in its entirety here:

- The distance U.S. vehicles have traveled increased 155 percent between 1970 and 2010.

- Because of the drop in people per vehicle, the corresponding increase in distance occupants have traveled is only 84 percent.

- In the same timeframe, the country consumed 53 percent more fuel, going from 303,333 million liters in 1970 to 463,233 million in 2010.
autos.aol.com/article/fuel-efficiency-econony-gas-michigan-study/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl31%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D281707

Re: solo drivers: I knew my eyes weren't lying to me.

War_Wagon 03-10-2013 12:26 AM

A goldfish will grow to the size that it's environment will support. I guess the same applies to people - "Wow I saved $100 on gas this month with my new car, I'd better drive it a lot more to make it worth it" ha ha. When I was in university I hauled 4 other people with me to campus everyday in my '64 Bel Air. Sadly since then, I haven't worked anywhere that I could rideshare with other employees.

wmjinman 03-10-2013 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by War_Wagon (Post 360551)
A goldfish will grow to the size that it's environment will support.

Did anyone see the article about the 18" long (about 1/2 meter) goldfish they're finding in Lake Tahoe? Seems people have been dumping their aquariums into the lake, and now these goldfish are becoming MONSTERS. HAH!!!

jakobnev 03-10-2013 05:56 AM

The good news is that obesity has doubled since the 70's. This means that fuel efficiency measured in tonne-miles per gallon, has gone up more!

nemo 03-10-2013 09:07 AM

In 1970 there were approximately 49 million men and 30 million women employed. In 2009 the number rises to 74 men and 55 million women. A substantial increase in the number of employed people. That is a lot of commute miles increase.

Reference
Table 2. Employment status of the civilian noninstitutional population 16 years and over by sex, 1970-2009 annual averages

jamesqf 03-10-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 360566)
That is a lot of commute miles increase.

True, but OTOH it's a heck of a lot easier to telecommute these days :-)

gone-ot 03-10-2013 05:37 PM

If I may, let me paraphrase Frank Lee's central theme:

"...over the years the CARS have gotten SMARTER while the DRIVERS have (seemingly) gotten DUMBER..."

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-10-2013 08:54 PM

Lots of people who can't drive a stickshift (mainly because they don't want to learn it), just rely on the ABS and then don't care about braking efficiently, among other poor driving skills...

Smokingwheels 03-10-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 360637)
Lots of people who can't drive a stickshift (mainly because they don't want to learn it), just rely on the ABS and then don't care about braking efficiently, among other poor driving skills...

The bit about ABS.. and they don't look behind themselves before applying them either. I had to take evasive action in my old car once in order not to run into the back of them.