EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Fuel Gauge Quirk (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fuel-gauge-quirk-3208.html)

2001Jeep 06-20-2008 09:23 AM

Fuel Gauge Quirk

I'm hoping that someone has a sound answer for my small issue. While driving my Jeep Cherokee I usually glance at the fuel gauge just to see where I am for fuel just before shutting off the engine at my desination. When I start the car again after it sits for a little while, the gauge shows slightly less gas than when I shut the jeep off.

I don't think i'm loosing fuel as this vehicle is getting good mileage (for a Jeep)

Are there any explanations for this??

Thanks

SVOboy 06-20-2008 11:50 AM

I think it's just due to gas sloshing around while driving making it read higher. My car is the same way.

FastPlastic 06-20-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001Jeep (Post 36645)
I'm hoping that someone has a sound answer for my small issue. While driving my Jeep Cherokee I usually glance at the fuel gauge just to see where I am for fuel just before shutting off the engine at my desination. When I start the car again after it sits for a little while, the gauge shows slightly less gas than when I shut the jeep off.

I don't think i'm loosing fuel as this vehicle is getting good mileage (for a Jeep)

I've noticed the same sort of fuel gauge problem on my Jeep. Mine tends reads about a gallon higher then it should as well. I've been wondering if it's a sticky/faulty fuel sender unit.

Props to your 20mpg. Is that all highway? I've been pushing 16mpg in town, waiting to see on the next tank what I get for highway.

2001Jeep 06-20-2008 12:24 PM

jeep

Hi,

I was looking at your mods and im going to try the grill block when i get some time.

The 20mpg im getting is mixed driving about 1/3 back country roads, 1/3 highway and 1/3 country route.

I have been driving the speed limit which really helped. Before i was doing 75 to 80mph on the highway and would get between 16 and 18.

I have taken off the roof rack crossbars but am not sure if it make any real difference.

Other than the reduction in speed, I cant really explain the good fuel economy.

wagonman76 06-20-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001Jeep (Post 36702)
Hi,

I have taken off the roof rack crossbars but am not sure if it make any real difference.

I bet the roof bars make a decent difference. I remember back in the good old days back when gas was like $1 a gallon, I took the crossbars off my 6000 wagon. Not for fuel savings, but because I hated cleaning off the snow that would accumulate between them. I could actually feel the difference in decrease in drag. I put them back on for the next summer.

2001Jeep 06-20-2008 01:04 PM

cross bars

I have noticed decreased wind noise but no real fuel savings yet.

Id love to get that jeep up to 22 MPG with the mixed driving I do

I did get 22mpg once driving home from the white mountains to CT. I drove 80MPH the whole way, go figure.

FastPlastic 06-20-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2001Jeep (Post 36702)
Hi,

I was looking at your mods and im going to try the grill block when i get some time.

So far I haven't seen a big change in the MPG but it feels like it coasts farther. I decided to start here because it's one of the easier mods you can do. Especially if you use the heat shrink plastic trick I've seen.

One thing I have noticed is it gets up to full temp (around 210 degrees) a heck of a lot sooner, which I hear is good.

I would recommend other then winter to only do a partial block, I filled 5 of the 7 holes. I've seen a few days in the 90 degree mark, and just watching the temp gauge I'd say if it gets too much warmer I might take one off. Last week I took it out on the highway for about 60miles at about 85-90degrees and it was rock solid at 210.