Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Are women more wasteful than men?
Yes! Women are energy hogs! 26 70.27%
No! Men waste more energy! 3 8.11%
Get a haircut 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Are women more wasteful than men?

I have always been a person to conserve energy in any way I can. I try and use less water, electricity, fuel, and other items, but my wife on the other hand is an "Energy Waster" of the worst kind. I try to follow after her and turn off un-needed lights, TV sets, running water (she lets it run all the time) and usually get some sort of feedback from her in a negative way. Her driving habits are the worst. I hardly ever let her drive, but when she does, all the work I did to save fuel gets burned up in no time so she is banned from the vehicles. She also drives with the A/C on and the windows open

When I do dishes (yes, I even cook and clean sometimes) I start by running hot water in the one side of the sink with a minimal amount of dish soap and as that side is filling, the same water is rinsing glasses as I wash them and the sink fills. Then the remaining dishes, pot, etc all get washed and set in the other half and all get rinsed at one time. I then use the leftover dishwater to wipe down the counter and stove and table.

My wife pours a huge amount of soap all over a pile of dishes with the drain plug out and by time she is done, we are out of hot water.

When I leave the house, nothing is left on, but when I come home, every light in the house is on, 3 television sets running, and sometimes I see the heater on with the windows open! "I'm sorry dear, but the dog does not need to have the TV on."

I like to take a shower. My wife fills the tub, soaks in it for awhile, drains halfway, and refills with hot water. This also runs the 40 gallon hot water tank dry

This is not only my wife, but I have lots of friends and family I visit and I notice the same thing at their households...................

Men like to conserve more energy than women. I have only met one woman in my life who saves energy and that was my Grandma. Maybe that's why women like to drive large SUV's, trucks, and vans? Because they like to waste energy.

How do you compare to your other half when it comes to general efficiency?

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Recycling Nazi

Blue Bullet - '06 Honda Civic Sedan LX
90 day: 35.68 mpg (US)
Question

Ha! Your wife sounds like my Mom!

Um dude ... are you my Dad?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
You are absol-freeken-lutely right on Johnny!!!

Their driving habits = abysmal. (Well, waddya expect when they got phones stuck to their heads the whole time. ) Their vehicle choices = they are the ones that "drove" this ridiculous pickup/suv thing. It's probably them that drove this stupid autostart thing too, so their suv can sit there for half an hour running before they get into it- wouldn't want to risk a cold pinky on the steering wheel now would we??? They don't have any concept of how things work. Yes, it's true, yours isn't the only one to leave windows wide open while *appliance of choice: furnace, a/c, dehumidifier, humidifier...* is blasting away on full power. Would a man run the hot water in the shower for 20 minutes before getting in it so that the tub isn't cold on the feet??? NO. And let's not forget the biggest offense of all: wanton, extravagant breeding habits, which are quickly transforming the entire globe into an urban cluster****, threatening the rest of the world's non-human inhabitants, and depleting resources right and left.

I say we're better off without 'em.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Slightly off topic as its not about women and their waste but women and their car's (and this is a car site so)
For your enjoyment
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...gonew=1#UNREAD
Old 06-09-2008, 11:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
penny pincher

lucky - '92 Toyota pickup plain
90 day: 32.08 mpg (US)
WHOA BOY! you hit one now! I went upstairs last week to find a totally unattended full blast cold running faucet in the bathroom, then proceeded on to the next room (teenage daughters room) where she was supposedly "brushing her teeth"! I have a septic system and wondered why it has been "waterlogging" lately, now I know why. Not to mention the full load of wash EVERY DAY! BUT say nothing, men...you will be in the wrong! (I had to whisper that)

how it was done...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...html#post25264

as of feb. 09, still holding up great with new owner,
who has since re-geared the rear end and gets nearly 40 MPG!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Seige Tank

yarii - '07 Toyota Yaris 4dr (auto)
90 day: 41.37 mpg (US)

Bullet Bill - '07 Toyota Yaris 2dr hatch
90 day: 36.19 mpg (US)
true true

I am not trying to save the planet, just trying to hurt it a little less

Yaris build thread

what is... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO
Old 06-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
I bet ecomodder tends to be more men then women and most people here tend to conserve more than those around them, including their significant other. It's not a fair poll, the women never had a chance.

Personally my gf is a LOT more wasteful but I bet there are women out there who conserve better than I!
Old 06-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Oh man, this topic gets me boiling. I'm not going to start ranting about the women in my house because I won't be able to stop. Aarrrrrggg!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
Don't get me wrong! I love my wife and have nothing against women except their wasteful ways and spending habits that we are dumb enough (or whipped enough) to support as the loving husband

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Harebrained Idea Skeptic

The White Car - '84 Mercedes-Benz 300td
90 day: 28.84 mpg (US)

The Blue Car - '86 BMW 535i
Last 3: 23.86 mpg (US)
One of my co-workers (we're mostly engineers) said that when he drives his wife's minivan, he gets about 50% better gas mileage because "She's a digital driver" (either 0s or 1s -- all brake or all gas).

Reply  Post New Thread