EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   full-size car, full-size ambitions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/full-size-car-full-size-ambitions-5734.html)

ModelE 10-27-2008 11:22 PM

full-size car, full-size ambitions

hey all

just thought i'd get a post out here in the ecomodder world. uhm ah yeah, basically just getting started ecomodding. school basically rules my life at this point but i do what i can, when i can, and i have big hopes for what i can do with / for this car.... sort of new here so any suggestions for simple things to do right off the bat, aside from the tires, the driving smarter, and grille block would be mighty appreciated.

granted, i hate to have to ask for help, but i guess it just comes with the territory. also i apologize for the "n00b"-ness of my initial post, but again, new territory.

Red 10-28-2008 01:28 AM

Welcome to EM. That LeSabre has the 3.8 right? It is capable of some respectable numbers.

Daox 10-28-2008 09:07 AM

Welcome to the site.

I always recommend driving technique to anyone new. It is amazing what this can do. It requires no money and gets you results right away. Check out 100+ hypermiling / ecodriving tips to increase gas mileage - EcoModder.com.

wagonman76 10-28-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 69554)
Welcome to EM. That LeSabre has the 3.8 right? It is capable of some respectable numbers.

Yes definitely. Just try to keep very light load on the engine and keep it in OD as much as you can. My Trans Sport van has the 3800 as well, and the mpg drop from giving it some gas is a lot more than the smaller V6s in my other cars.

ModelE 10-28-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red (Post 69554)

yeah it has the 3800 Series II V6
which i've heard is one of Gm's more fuel-efficient engines.
it gets better mileage from what i expected, but i'd still love to improve

and in relation to the overdrive, i know it has it, but i'm not sure how to turn it off/on (theres no easily visible button like on my frontier). is it always on?

wagonman76 10-28-2008 08:38 PM

Should be always enabled as long as you are using the OD position on the gearshift. Then its your 4th gear. It probably kicks in at about 50 mph.

ModelE 10-28-2008 09:59 PM

forgive my confusion, but does it have a four speed auto with OD (total of 5 gears) or a 3 speed with OD (total of 4 gears) ?

gascort 10-28-2008 10:33 PM

it has a total of 4 gears - 4th is OD.
My wife has a 98 Intrigue with the same powerplant. She gets 22-28 mpg depending on how much city/highway she drives and if the a/c is on. We picked up 2.5 mpg by inflating her tires at 40 psi instead of 32.

Welcome to Ecomodder!