EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   FYI: Harbor Freight Trailer Bearings/Hubs (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fyi-harbor-freight-trailer-bearings-hubs-32170.html)

mechman600 06-15-2015 06:14 PM

FYI: Harbor Freight Trailer Bearings/Hubs

I gave the wheels on my Harbor Freight trailer a spin the other day and one of them felt a bit rough. Upon disassembly, I found the inner bearing had been smoked. So it was off to the local parts store for a regular old 1 inch spindle bearing kit.

Oops. This trailer doesn't have a 1 inch spindle. It has a 25mm spindle. And instead of a 1.98" OD cup, it has a 52mm OD cup (2.05"). That's a big enough difference to not work. The regular old seal doesn't fit either.

I have purchased new bearings from a local bearing supplier and I have purchased extras in case of a break down in the future.

Most of my info comes from here: Folding Utility Trailers, Trailer Kits, Parts and Accessories - RedTrailers.com

Bearing assembly part #30205 (your local bearing supplier should understand this number)
Seal part #30-52-10

oil pan 4 06-16-2015 07:44 PM

That "grease" that comes with the made in china bearings isn't real load bearing EP grease. Its just gunk that keeps the rust off the bearings and race surfaces during the boat ride over here.

So when you get new bearings do not install them. Remove the gunk from them and repack with real lithium based grease that actually has extreme pressure additives in it.

If you do not clean and repack the new bearings you will need all the extras you bought and then some.

mechman600 06-16-2015 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 483683)
If you do not clean and repack the new bearings you will need all the extras you bought and then some.

When I assembled the trailer I repacked with fresh grease. Even then, it only lasted a couple years before the cheap, low grade Chinese bearing ate it. The grease around it looked fine. Looks like the 'hardening' (if you can call it that) flaked off pretty quick. I'm guessing my new 'quality brand' bearings will last longer.

user removed 06-17-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 483683)
That "grease" that comes with the made in china bearings isn't real load bearing EP grease. Its just gunk that keeps the rust off the bearings and race surfaces during the boat ride over here.

So when you get new bearings do not install them. Remove the gunk from them and repack with real lithium based grease that actually has extreme pressure additives in it.

Kind of reminds me of the Mercedes that were shipped to the US just prior to WW2. Due to the extreme rubber shortage in Germany, with the military buildup, the cars sent to the US had wooden tires, that had to be changed before the car was operated on any road.

regards
mech

2009Toyotoad 06-17-2015 02:56 PM

I have historical had hit or miss luck with imported bearing sets. Some Korean, Chinese manufactured ones will hold up others not so much. And the same manufacturer can be inconsistent on one lot to the next. To be honest its become one of those things that I pay more for a U.S. based producer. Which are few and 3 times the price.

oil pan 4 06-17-2015 09:40 PM

The made in china outer front wheel bearing on my car had its bearings outer coating start to flake off after being on there for about 8 years. I greased them numerous time over those years. During those 8 years the car was sitting most of that time.
I replaced them with some that were made in japan.