EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   G10 powered Miata in Jackson Michigan (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/g10-powered-miata-jackson-michigan-20315.html)

fujioko 01-28-2012 12:12 PM

G10 powered Miata in Jackson Michigan

Hi ‘ya folks!

Last year I put a Suzuki G10 engine in a Mazda Miata. MX5. I documented most of the major issues involved on another forum.

The project required a modest amount of fabrication and took about six months of evenings and weekends to complete.

The swap was a success and I’m getting 45+ MPG in real world driving. I can get over 50 MPG if I modify my driving.

The project was a low cost prototype to evaluate the concept. I made a lot of compromises to keep the weight as low as possible. The finished weight is 1960 pounds with a full tank of fuel.

I drive the car on a regular basis and it is very reliable.

I look forward to being a contributing member.

Jim

GRU 01-28-2012 01:26 PM

i'm sure many people will ask you for the details on the swap since it's becoming very popular to use that engine in different cars

fujioko 01-28-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRU (Post 283134)
i'm sure many people will ask you for the details on the swap since it's becoming very popular to use that engine in different cars

The project can be viewed at Suzuki G10 3 cylinder project. - MX-5 Miata Forum.

It is mostly a high performance forum with V8 and other Miata engine swaps.

The project build diary may be helpful to anyone interested in using a G10 in a RWD chassis.

Jim

NateHale88 01-29-2012 03:20 PM

Holy shyte that is awesome man! I live out in Springport which is close to Jackson( I go there all the time). I would love to see this swap some time. Keep up the good work!

fujioko 01-30-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NateHale88 (Post 283332)
Holy shyte that is awesome man! I live out in Springport which is close to Jackson( I go there all the time). I would love to see this swap some time. Keep up the good work!

Hey neighbor!

Your more than welcome to stop by and check out the car. If the roads are clear...you can even drive it.:turtle:

Jim

straight5 02-02-2012 11:29 AM

I just read all 9 pages. :eek: I love seeing people swapping engines between vehicles - I3's or v12s lol or anything in between.
If it would be ok to put in my .02, I'd encourage you to look into turbocharging. Most engines can handle up to 5lbs of boost with no other modifications. 5 lbs isn't a lot, but sometimes you only need a little. If there is a small shop where they work on turbos close to you, maybe they would point you in the right direction.

RobbMeeX 02-02-2012 07:56 PM

I also am a sucker for boost.

cosmick 04-02-2015 09:50 AM

a 3 cylinder is missing the point, the spirit, of the Miata. Even the Mazda guys themselves, the first time they drove a V8 Miata, agreed it perfected the car in ways they weren't allowed to. A V8 may be limited to 35 MPG, but a Miata isn't about MPG. Application mismatch fail.
As to the statement about more TQ than HP, that's the way it's supposed to be, and any engine that fails is being way over-revved. Making good power at high RPM requires overlap, which is both intake and exhaust valves being open at the same time, which is bad for emissions.
This can be cheated by spreading the lobe centers, but why compromise so foolishly when there's more average power to be had, with more MPG?