EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Gadgetman (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gadgetman-11355.html)

tangomar 12-07-2009 02:31 PM

Gadgetman

Has anyone heard of it?
Their claims are pretty bold. And they give 1 year warrenty...
Better Mileage with Gadgetman

brucey 12-07-2009 03:20 PM

From his own order page:

"Also remember that I make no promises about mileage."

JonnyG 12-07-2009 03:54 PM

I've never known anyone who tried one of these types of things for either HP or MPG, I think I would be too scared to try it. Afraid something would happen to the car.

Here's something I picked up from the tesimonials:
Kathy was getting 8-10 mpgs and is now getting 13-19!

That range just seems a little strange to me:confused:

greasemonkee 12-07-2009 05:19 PM

Anyone sincere in gathering genuine test data will only charge for the price of materials. His "donation" fee alone is ridiculous, but the fact that I wasted 10 minutes of my day was even more so. Give me $250 a TB and I'll hog out as many as you want, and spit shine them afterwards.

MadisonMPG 12-07-2009 06:04 PM

He improved the ICE's efficiency by 200-300% just by messing with the TB. Imagine what he could do if he had a belly pan.

*facepalm

SVOboy 12-07-2009 06:07 PM

Anything that claims to increase engine efficiency by such a high amount should immediately be considered highly suspect.

Christ 12-07-2009 06:44 PM

I wonder if his throttle body modification works for diesel engines?

tangomar 12-07-2009 06:59 PM

I am skeptical too. But the concept is similar to Somender's Grooves that many people seem to be successful with.
SOMENDER-SINGH.com - Home

Weather Spotter 12-07-2009 07:25 PM

I smell snake oil....

MadisonMPG 12-07-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weather Spotter (Post 145571)
I smell snake oil....

I can taste it.

Frank Lee 12-07-2009 08:34 PM

This is an even bigger waste of time than arguing about hho.

Weather Spotter 12-07-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 145597)
This is an even bigger waste of time than arguing about hho.

I will hang a large amen on that!:D

bgd73 12-07-2009 08:55 PM

wow. that guy thinks alot.

Every car has a problem, you have to learn it.
could be porting/aligning heads ports for better,
the cfm and original design is always correct however, it is a set math revolving around common stoich. we can make it whistle a bit harder, and can even go too large to make it a slob.

don't bother overthinking it.

some carbs have no air bypass, and that is about the biggest hack needed modern day that I know of.

add supercharge if ya want. do whatever.

don't overthink it.

Christ 12-07-2009 08:57 PM

Wait... how exactly does a throttle body modification compare to a combustion chamber modification? The same theories don't even apply...

Where'd you come up with that?

pgfpro 12-07-2009 09:42 PM

Gadgetman

Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy...

Where to begin?:rolleyes:

gone-ot 12-07-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weather Spotter (Post 145571)
I smell snake oil....

...smells more like bovine meadow muffins to me!

tangomar 12-08-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 145611)
Wait... how exactly does a throttle body modification compare to a combustion chamber modification? The same theories don't even apply...

Where'd you come up with that?

You're right, they don't compare at all.
Sorry, my bad.

Christ 12-08-2009 02:41 PM

J. Shelby Christian-Goodyear, AZ-1999 GMC 1500-I can tell you that I'm only using about half the gas I used to-and the old girl's really got some energy now! It's hard to believe that such a simple thing can make such a BIG difference! Thank you, Gadgetman!
http://www.gadgetmanscoolcarmods.com/Gui/87775.jpg

Anyone see something wrong? Frank'll see it right away... betcha a buck. ;)

pgfpro 12-08-2009 02:45 PM

A funny looking GMC???

Christ 12-08-2009 02:47 PM

Like I said, Frank'll know what's wrong exactly. You're right, though, that's not a GMC.

Frank Lee 12-08-2009 03:54 PM

Obviously Gadgetman showed J. Shelby the "gas cap trick":

Lift up the gas cap and replace the vehicle underneath it.

No wonder J. Shelby is ecstatic with the results!

Christ 12-08-2009 03:55 PM

LOL Yup. Of course, the point I was trying to make is that it's a Ford F-series, being represented as a GMC.

The headlight profile and raggedy body lines give it up quickly.

It's also a few years older than a '99... In fact, the newest it could be is either '95 or '96, can't remember which.

bestclimb 12-08-2009 04:02 PM

looked like diffrent girls in by her fiat too.

I wonder if he would agree to the A-B-A testing used around here and let the money sit in escrow.

tangomar 12-08-2009 05:03 PM

Gadgetman must be really blind then.
They say he is 95% impaired...

Mustang Dave 12-08-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 145795)
LOL Yup. Of course, the point I was trying to make is that it's a Ford F-series, being represented as a GMC.

The headlight profile and raggedy body lines give it up quickly.

It's also a few years older than a '99... In fact, the newest it could be is either '95 or '96, can't remember which.

It's a '92-'96 F-series.

Christ 12-08-2009 07:39 PM

Thanks Dave, I knew that in '97 it was the cab-over-engine body style, but I wasn't sure if it was that way in '96 or not.

Appreciate it!

wdb 12-08-2009 09:14 PM

Here's a youtube of what he claims to be doing -- the "gadgetman groove". I'm pretty sure it is the same guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2V8M_oVvLo

Christ 12-08-2009 09:22 PM

Yeah, he's claiming that by increasing turbulence aft of the throttle plate, you're creating a resonance that is, in effect, a supercharger at certain speeds. Of course, intake length/cross section tuning achieves this as well.

I'm not entirely sure that those grooves will do anything except completely kill the flow velocity, but I can assure that at higher throttle angles than cruise, they won't be increasing horsepower, as they'll be restricting airflow by creating more turbulence. Keep in mind, even pipes have a boundary layer. The effective cross section of an intake pipe is actually smaller than the visible cross section, and is increasingly so as intake velocity increases.

There is no evidence that a completely smooth intake tract is any more beneficial than a lightly roughed up one, but I'd be extremely wary of grinding out any kind of slot in my throttle body and expecting any gains from it. They're usually not cheap to be carelessly modifying.

Christ 12-10-2009 03:33 AM

Anyone wanna try it? I found the guy on PES' website showing how the grooves are made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElfWf...layer_embedded

Christ 12-10-2009 03:34 AM

PES' wiki page on the mod:

Directory:Gadgetman Groove - PESWiki

It appears that basically, all that's being done here is adding approx a 3mm deep groove in front of the lower part of the throttle plate, and behind the upper.

So what's really happening is a trick way of telling the ECU that you're at X throttle position while you're allowing the same amount of airflow as Z throttle position. Other than that, I can't say for sure. I may give it a shot on the spare TB I have for my wife's Saturn, though. It takes about 10 mins to put the TB on, so that shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: OF course, if I do this, and there is no change/negative change, the guy's just going to say I did it wrong. It won't be an extremely definitive test, either. I'll see about using my datalog tool to check MAP and TPS values, etc.

EDIT again: Wouldn't you know, I can't find my Dremel. Gonna have to buy another one, again, it seems. O well, excuse to go to Harbor Freight.

tangomar 12-10-2009 01:19 PM

Christ,

I would e-mail him as well. He seems a nice person (at least judging from his videos).
Maybe he might help you before you do it.
There is nothing to lose: Gadgetman@gadgetmantechnologies.com

Gadgetman 11-19-2010 11:02 AM

Why are my posts gone?
Now, I need to send you guys some links to see the news, and I am not allowed to do that.

Pity.

Is this censorship, as you will find if you go to my YouTube channel: GadgetmanGlobal?

Gadgetman 11-19-2010 11:09 AM

After Shel reported here, he passed away.

As you can see from his post, he believed his vehicle was indeed a 99 GMC 1500.

Who among you will continue to challenge that?

Maybe you can just accept his testimony (below) citing about double the mileage with increased power and performance?

Maybe you can look at the other positive ratings (there's over 100 videos on my YouTube channel now, BTW) and start considering that maybe, just MAYBE! I have made a discovery that might be due for some further investigation?

Ron Hatton
Gadgetman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 145778)
J. Shelby Christian-Goodyear, AZ-1999 GMC 1500-I can tell you that I'm only using about half the gas I used to-and the old girl's really got some energy now! It's hard to believe that such a simple thing can make such a BIG difference! Thank you, Gadgetman!

(image deleted)

Anyone see something wrong? Frank'll see it right away... betcha a buck. ;)

MetroMPG 11-19-2010 11:40 AM

Gadgetman: first, no we aren't censoring you. The restriction on posting links is a useful tool to weed out new users who come here to post spam. Please think carefully about that.

Quote:

Maybe you can just accept his testimony (below) citing about double the mileage with increased power and performance?
Second, testimonials are generally viewed as useless information by most people here. They're not "proof" of anything. Anyone who understands the basics of the experimental method would refrain from offering them as evidence about a modification's in/effectiveness.

The fact that you are pushing testimonials hurts your credibility, and will result in most here being extra skeptical of your claims.

Gadgetman 11-19-2010 01:50 PM

Testimonials HURT?

I am sorry, but I can't understand that to be true...

As I see here, most people posting are posting their data-their reports-their "testimonial" if you will of their results.

What makes the reports I receive any different from this?

Why is your opinion of higher value than the opinions of those who have actually experienced my technology?

I am sorry, but it seems you are reinforcing my opinion that this site is apparently populated by people with limited capability to accept anything that might force them into a paradigm shift.

"Contempt prior to investigation..."
Look it up.

some_other_dave 11-19-2010 01:55 PM

Another good quote:

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof."

I'd love to see some, backed by a good scientific approach. (For an example of that, see the video in this thread.)

-soD

MetroMPG 11-19-2010 01:58 PM

I distinguish between customer "testimonials" that aren't based on the experimental method vs. "evidence" which is. One of those is worth taking more seriously than the other.

If you don't understand the difference, you're in trouble.

FYI: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ery-11445.html

MetroMPG 11-19-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadgetman (Post 204996)
Why is your opinion of higher value than the opinions of those who have actually experienced my technology?

When it comes to evaluating mods, "opinion" is irrelevant. What counts is methodology.

Quote:

I am sorry, but it seems you are reinforcing my opinion that this site is apparently populated by people with limited capability to accept anything that might force them into a paradigm shift.
Not if you can provide good evidence from solid methodology.

jakobnev 11-20-2010 08:30 AM

From "vacuumandthegadgetmangroove.pdf":
Quote:

At TDC (Top Dead Center), the intake ari speed is at its slowest (zero). At this point, the Gadgetman Groove starts collecting air from the intake air stream (for the first 90 degrees of rotation). This causes the vacuum to spike. This spike in vacuum rips the fuel into vapor, ready to mix with the available oxygen, ready to become a much more volatile mixture.

Slamming the Mixture

When the piston passes the midpoint, it begins to slow. This causes a reaction inside the groove itself, and the ball of air that built up in the first part of the cycle is released into the intake passage to complete its journey to the piston. When it hits the intake valve, it has no where else to go and so expands explosievly, completing the blending precess with the available fuel vapor.
If you actually managed to achieve this it would decrease the efficiency of the engine, since what you actually want is for the pressure to be as high as possible for as long as possible, and only decrease (if needed) towards the end of the intake stroke, for the desired fill-rate.

mcrews 11-20-2010 01:23 PM

"EDIT again: Wouldn't you know, I can't find my Dremel. Gonna have to buy another one, again, it seems. O well, excuse to go to Harbor Freight."

Oh it's right where you put it last..........and still in the same place you are going to but your NEW one!!!!