EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Gal needs help! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gal-needs-help-19392.html)

titandog 11-05-2011 08:12 PM

Gal needs help!

Okay, I probably just got ripped off, but Im trying to find out if my vehicle is salvageable. Was told by 2 mechanics that it needed a new motor. Its a 2002 Ford Explorer. I need it to last me about 2 more years. Has/had 192,600 miles on it. So - - I was referred to a guy who put an engine in. I was told was used one, but around 40k miles. Initial cost was going to be 1800, total after all done (still not sure what they did) was 2460. Had someone else pick up for me, and when they did the 'service engine soon' light was on. Called mechanic to ask what was up with that and was told that was not unusual after having engine replaced; and to drive around a few days and it should go off. After 3 days, still on and I called back. He now says 'oh, thats that O sensor'. Then says it probably needs to be replaced. So I asked how much? (Since I just spent 2500 on engine/work) He says he will have to call to get price, then I can call him back in a day or so and he will tell me.

The car seems to be running fine. No slips, misses, unusual noises or any other detectable odd stuff going on. Im afraid I probably got taken on the engine and my funds are about non existent for car repair now. If it is that sensor, will it ruin the car if I dont get it fixed right away? Why would a legit mechanic let someone drive a car off their lot with a service engine light on and something else wrong without telling them at that time?

Any ideas on a good way to handle this sensor problem without spending a ton? I need the vehicle to drive to work (about 20 miles rt each day). Thanks for any insight.:confused:

3dplane 11-05-2011 09:58 PM

If it runs fine with no black smoke from tailpipe or noises,you should be fine until you can have it looked at!

The SES light could be on for a bunch of reasons and the O2 sensor is just one possibility. It will have to be scanned to see what codes are set.

Another possibility is that the light did not even come on during a test drive because certain diagnostic codes to run/test by the powertrain computer,requires very strict circumstances of driving conditions,startup temperature,fuel level,engine load,vehicle speed etc. the list goes on. I just don't think that the guy parked it with the light on and was hoping that it will go off without scanning it to see what it is? Just guessing. That would be pretty bad business practice.

Maybe some auto part store can scan it for you for free in hopes for selling you the parts? Just guessing again. I would take it back to the shop where the transplant was done and have them look at it!
Barna

blade 11-05-2011 10:04 PM

first you need to find out what the code is if there is a autozone near you or orieleys they will scan it for free dont just buy the part tho becuase most can be tested to verify they are bad i would suspect they may have left something unpluged or allowed it to ground like melted the o2 snsr wires to the exhaust good luck oh and you may check with the local tech schools or hs to see if they work on cars for people good luck