EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Gas is cheap again. So why are you still here? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gas-cheap-again-so-why-you-still-here-6241.html)

MetroMPG 12-01-2008 09:56 AM

Gas is cheap again. So why are you still here?

Hmm?

The traffic to the EM blog and forum (and other fuel efficiency sites) is absolutely linked to the price of gas in the US.

The number of "Active Members", shown on the forum index, has been declining since gas prices peaked. (Members who have visited at least once in the last 30 days are considered "active".)

EM's active membership was at something like 1400 and change back in July ; now it's hovering around 1000. The rate of new members signing up is obviously lower as well.

The price of fuel is at something like 4 year lows! (According to a news report I heard this morning.)

So why the heck are you still here?

Vote in the poll, too. Multiple choice is OK.

basjoos 12-01-2008 10:48 AM

Mine's a combination of (2) and (5). I started aeromodding my car after the Katrina gas price spike knowing that there would be more price spikes to come. Prior to this I had been hypermiling. Then once I started aeromodding I got intrigued by the efficiency aspect of it plus seeing the high speed and mpg performance boosts I was getting.

NeilBlanchard 12-01-2008 11:00 AM

Hi,

My reasons are also multiple:

1, 2, 5, 8, and last but not least #10; which is the one I "voted" for.

MetroMPG 12-01-2008 11:01 AM

My bet is that most people still participating have some inherent interest in the topic beyond (or in addition to) the financial side.

I don't have a problem with reduced activity because the conversations/contributions from that type of person are going to be more interesting.

Not saying saving money isn't a worthy goal.

MetroMPG 12-01-2008 11:05 AM

(FYI, don't forget you can select more than one option in the poll.)

Daox 12-01-2008 11:09 AM

I voted for all of them except these two:

I don't do this this for financial reasons at all.
O.C.D. O! C! D! OCDOCDOCDOCD - I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. I'm not ocd. Okay, I really did clicked it.

PonchoBuick 12-01-2008 11:17 AM

I'm a 1, 2, and 6.

Whether it's $4, $2, $1, it's still a place to cut costs. And I get this gut feeling (as I'm sure others may) that once, and if, I get comfortable with the current trend, the stuff will hit the fan in some fashion and we may be back at the $4-$4.50 mark again.

But the best one for me was 6. I find it cool to judge a vehicle on something other than brute power and 1/4 mile times for a change. I'm sure I'll have another beast at some point (it's in the blood), but for the grocery getters I like the challenge of seeing just how far I can realistically go. Plus I dream one day of telling folks I get 30 mpg in a Caravan!:D

Aaron

12voltsolar 12-01-2008 11:24 AM

I'm not visiting the site as often as I'd like but really it is about the driving and modding not the 'clicking' - Since I've started to Hypermile, Xtramile or ecodrive (call it what you will) I'll never be able to stop doing it (read O.C.D. O! C! D! OCDOCDOCDOCD)
I've decided that a mild form of OCD is a great quality in life - ask my wife she loves that when I do a project like say cleaning the stove my OCD kicks in and the tools and steamer and what not comes out - then like magic the stove looks NEW!

So if even if gas goes to $1.00 even I'll still be here!
JB

wagonman76 12-01-2008 01:11 PM

I am still here because I like to see what more I can do to improve my mpg. It is like a challenge, like a project. The 3 days before I parked the Celeb for winter, the guino said I was getting 35 to work and back, and over 40 downstate and back. Even with cold and some snow on the trip home. I just got to where I was getting really good. Im really looking forward to next summer. When my freeduino arrives, Ill be able to make the mpguino for the wagon and hopefully I can do a lot better with that too.

Im also in it for the savings, no matter how small, while driving something I like, something I like working on, and something that has long since been paid for. Gas will go back up. Its not a matter of if, its a matter of when. It also helps to be able to keep my downstate fillups longer and use less of the expensive northern gas.

I also like to brag a little to family and friends and coworkers. Hardly anyone I know can get 35-40 mpg from anything. And Im doing it with a V6/automatic, and no EOC, P&G, or drafting.

I also like the atmosphere here, and the friendliness of the people. A vast majority of people here drive small imports like Metros or Civics, and most other forums Id be flamed or ignored for trying to fit in with my old American cars. But here everybody fits in and is welcomed, no matter what they drive. Everybody can make a difference.

TestDrive 12-01-2008 01:16 PM

You guys are my kind of people. :thumbup: