EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Gas pump labeling for ethanol content. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gas-pump-labeling-ethanol-content-33296.html)

ConnClark 01-03-2016 10:08 PM

Gas pump labeling for ethanol content.

On my recent trip to Everett I noticed a difference in labeling on the gas pump as pertaining to ethanol content.

At home the pumps are labeled "Contains up to 10% Ethanol" and at the pump I refueled at in Everett it said "Contains 10% Ethanol".

This has gotten me to wonder if there is a difference. I do know that it gets way hotter at home than it does in Everett and they may not use full ethanol content because it can cause vapor lock in the summer. On the other hand Everett is in the land of the often misguided eco nazis and might actually mandate the maximum ethanol fuel blend.

Seeing that my trip back got me a lower mpg I think that there is a difference.

Any thoughts?

redpoint5 01-03-2016 11:02 PM

Stating that the fuel is "up to 10% ethanol" is a safer way to say it is within the tolerance of E10. I doubt there is any difference.

dwtaylorpdx 01-03-2016 11:25 PM

It also often goes higher in the little checking I've done, its not unusual to find 15%
Remember this year its all supposed to get a bump isn't it? TO 15%? Cant find the page on the .gov's right now.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-05-2016 09:39 PM

Does the ethanol content vary according to the season as it does in Brazil?

j12piprius 02-02-2016 11:40 PM

wanted: gasoline without ethanol

California does not require labeling, and stations are motivated to use ethanol all year regardless of season. I've not been able to locate any stations that have non ethanol gas. Even worse, the percent of ethanol is commonly increased over legal amounts by distributors, and gas stations continue to illegally over blend and double blend ethanol to increase their own profits.

This is disappointing to me, as I'd much prefer to use gasoline without ethanol. I used to think it was good due to false advertising, but no more. Besides not having the choice to use non ethanol gas, and no disclosure about the amount that is added, the ethanol blends result in significantly less miles per gallon, greater cost for the miles that are traveled, and more expense for wear and tear on the car.

It is difficult to keep aiming for greater efficiency, while being sabotaged by terrible industry regulations that take money from us to line their own pockets.

Frank Lee 02-03-2016 08:11 AM

I noticed that the E85 pump was labelled 99 cents/gallon. So I filled up, and my big gas can too. :) An especially sweet deal since at this time of year it's likely to be E70 or some such. :thumbup:

roosterk0031 02-03-2016 09:58 AM

With E0 at a 25% cost premium over E10 this morning (both 87). I'll take the 2-3% mpg hit.

Xist 02-03-2016 10:36 AM

Perhaps they save a tiny bit of money by omitting the "up to" on each sign? :)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 02-03-2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlvs2run (Post 506283)
Even worse, the percent of ethanol is commonly increased over legal amounts by distributors, and gas stations continue to illegally over blend and double blend ethanol to increase their own profits.

Considering that ethanol enhances the emulsioning of moisture on the gasoline, another problem is the "baptism" of gasoline with water. In coastal regions of Brazil, there were some cases involving addition of seawater in gasoline...

oil pan 4 02-04-2016 11:50 AM

You can test the ethanol content.
It doesn't have to be a mystery.