Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Civic CX hatchback - '98 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

my new 98 hatchback - '98 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 34.66 mpg (US)
Hello All 1998 Civic CX current 97 Saturn SL1 previous

Hi,

Came across this site last week in my search to improve MPG's... I commute on mainly 80km/h or 50mph highways... I drive at least 120km's per day round trip excluding any errands in the city...

I previously owned a 1997 Saturn SL1 base model 5spd with 343K on that I felt under normal driving circumstances I was doing fairly good with sticking to 90km/h or 55mph and even in the winter months getting 45-47mpg imperial mpg... I only started to track to mileage in January because I started this new job 60 km's away from home so now it seems to matter so I can put more of my paycheck into my pocket..

Circumstances changed, I wanted to try something new but still not have a car payment, I decided to buy a 98 Honda Civic CX hatch, more fun to drive, but no tachometer on it! I know that at 90km/h my Saturn turned out 1900rpm which I feel is pretty low for a 4 cylinder... Anyways, I am hoping to get high 40 mpg imperial or possibly better if possible on the new DD.... I am starting to have some regrets about letting the Saturn go, I think it would have been easier to break 50mpg in the Saturn than it is going to be in my civic... Well sorry for the long hello, I hope to learn lots along the way...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Civiccx View Post
Hi,

Came across this site last week in my search to improve MPG's... I commute on mainly 80km/h or 50mph highways... I drive at least 120km's per day round trip excluding any errands in the city...

I previously owned a 1997 Saturn SL1 base model 5spd with 343K on that I felt under normal driving circumstances I was doing fairly good with sticking to 90km/h or 55mph and even in the winter months getting 45-47mpg imperial mpg... I only started to track to mileage in January because I started this new job 60 km's away from home so now it seems to matter so I can put more of my paycheck into my pocket..

Circumstances changed, I wanted to try something new but still not have a car payment, I decided to buy a 98 Honda Civic CX hatch, more fun to drive, but no tachometer on it! I know that at 90km/h my Saturn turned out 1900rpm which I feel is pretty low for a 4 cylinder... Anyways, I am hoping to get high 40 mpg imperial or possibly better if possible on the new DD.... I am starting to have some regrets about letting the Saturn go, I think it would have been easier to break 50mpg in the Saturn than it is going to be in my civic... Well sorry for the long hello, I hope to learn lots along the way...
Welcome!

The 1998 CX will have something like a 3.725 final drive and a 0.702 5th gear, so it'll be turning a bit faster than 1900 rpms at 55 mph but nothing really major. Get an Ultra Gauge or ScanGauge and learn to "drive with load". The gauge will pay for itself within a few tanks. Pump up the tires. If you have power steering, take the belt off. You can easily put it back on, but you really don't need it on this lightweight car and deleting it will help you reach your goals more easily.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

hi,

the scan gauge seems like a good investment. My 98 Civic CX has manual steering..
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum, fellow Ontarian.

Quote:
I commute on mainly 80km/h or 50mph highways... I drive at least 120km's per day round trip
That driving regimen is pretty close to ideal for getting maximum fuel economy. Cracking 40 mpg imperial (33 mpg US) should be pretty easy for you in a CX at those fuel-friendly speeds.

As California said, I'd highly recommend getting a fuel economy gauge as your first step. Not only for the tach readout, but because it will turn your commute into a fun challenge (by playing the "beat your high score" game). The gauge will pay for itself - and you can easily re-sell it later if you like.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm embarrassed to say that the first thing I need to do, is replace my post cat O2 sensor first and foremost, been throwing a code for it for the last month which can't be helping me out in the mileage department... I have the sensor but it is seized in the cat, and I've been too busy to pull out the acetylene... I've owned the car for about a month now and it started throwing post cat O2 about 3 days after getting it on the road... but my mileage from then to now with the CEL on and I do use A/C when it's too hot lol, I work in a mig welding factory forgive me for liking cold after a hot day....

April 26th 44.89mpg imperial
May 2nd 45.26mpg imp.
May 7th 45.24 mpg imp.
May 11th 44.20mpg imp.
May 11th 37.68 mpg imp- London to Napanee down the 401 at 120km/h average speed
May 12th 39.19 mpg imp. Napanee to Camden East (80km/h hwy then back to London via 401 at 105km/h average speed
May 16th 40.57mpg imp
May 24th 43.03 mpg
Old 05-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
this is my set up. i have the left side open because thats where the radiator is. you may or may not want to leave a bigger space. looks really good from a distance. and you can get crafty and put it on the back side of the grille and bumper if you want. but this seems to be the best. under the back bumper is a big parachute. so making a skid plate back there is good. making it go around the exhaust takes some doing though.

My first design was UUUUUGLY back when i didnt care about it. started spending some money on it once i started getting over 47 mpg (us) which was not so coincidentally right after i got the mpguino! haha

Reply  Post New Thread