Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2018, 03:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The BYD Tang

Just got done reviewing this wonderful/flawed, over-priced/under-priced, impractical/practical beast for the local Top Gear office.

Impressions: Okay, it's no GT-R destroying Tesla, but for the supposed $50k price tag, 0-100 km/h in 4.9 seconds (about 4.6 to 60 mph, or even less if you apply the silly 1-foot rollout) is awesome. No large crossover or SUV is beating that for anything close to similar money. And the 80 km (50 mile) all-electric range is nice, if not especially impressive compared to the 250-300 km BYD e6 I drove a few years back.

What's questionable is whether the interior, which is decent enough, will last more than a few years without rattling, and how the non-electric parts of the drivetrain will age. BYD is known for its batteries, not its cars.

But it's an awesome piece. Was a little disappointed with my km per kilowatt calculations, until I saw the calculations for the Porsche Cayenne Hybrid, which are much, much worse.

Was a giggle lighting up the tires in second gear. Apparently, to preserve the drivetrain, power comes in stages. near as I can figure, the car is limited to around 300 hp until 20 km/h, then around 400-ish until 40-50 km/h. It only makes all 500 hp in second gear. Which tells you a lot about packaging compromises. Apparently, the Lexus RX-cloned chassis can't fit tires wide enough to take all that power from a stop.

-

Still, if BYD can do this, what's stopping everyone else? And how about a (much lighter) sports car with a similar set-up? Shouldn't be so hard.

The Following User Says Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
Natalya (12-11-2018)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread