EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Geo Metro a future collector car ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/geo-metro-future-collector-car-7703.html)

Cd 04-01-2009 09:08 PM

Geo Metro a future collector car ?

So do you think sometime in the near future that the 'lowly' Geo Metro will actually become a collector car ?
There are lots of cars that were hated in their day for one reason or another, but later became 'collector' material.
I think a lot of the hatred of the Metro is due to the media portrayal of the car as 'wimpy'. People just blindly follow what they are told.

Imagine a day when the Metro will be considered 'cool'.
What would that take ?

Cd 04-01-2009 09:11 PM

Before anyone replies,I already know what some of you are thinking : What would it take ? - a 426 Hemi stuffed in the engine bay.

Johnny Mullet 04-01-2009 10:24 PM

The Geo Metro has already become a collector car. Just look at the prices on Ebay. When gas goes back up, these prices will double.

The problem is, some people buy these cars and are unaware of what to look for and end up with a piece of sh!t with a rotted frame or a car with a dead cylinder.

Ryland 04-02-2009 01:41 AM

Who said that they ever went out of style? the Metro is a cult car, one of the last simple, small cars sold in the US.

tasdrouille 04-02-2009 07:34 AM

Pretty much every car eventually becomes a collectors car to some people. The metro is a great little car, but I don't think we'll hear much about it in 20 years from now.

wagonman76 04-02-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 95356)
Pretty much every car eventually becomes a collectors car to some people.

I agree, take any car and there's some internet group on it full of people repairing, restoring, modding, collecting.

Coyote X 04-02-2009 07:02 PM

Even in the rust free areas I bet there won't be any Metros that are still working in 20 years. The cars were just not built to last that long. The motors and drivetrains are fine but the unibodies suck, except for mine :)

So the one or two that are left might be a collector car about like any old obscure and rare car. But I doubt you will ever see one at a classic car show.

But really once there are some basic cheap cars being sold here that beat the XFi mileage then the Metro will be forgotten to everyone except the hard core nuts. I will still have my car 20 years from now but it will be retired to my garage with the rest of them. Besides nobody in their right mind would buy my car now anyway.

skyl4rk 04-02-2009 08:40 PM

The Metro has always been cool. Its got a motorcycle engine. Thats cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idpksr-u40I

order99 04-02-2009 11:44 PM

That's...that's a horrible thing to do to to a car.

Couldn't they afford an I-beam, single shock wheel and some Coroplast and at least get the poor thing off the ground? :(

Drive Stick 04-03-2009 08:58 AM

The Metro will only ever be popular with the savvy grateful owners. You won't see a metro rolling across the auction block, and if it does I wouldn't even expect to see 5 digit pricing.

Unfortunately, serious collectors have a different perspective on what is worth taking up space in their airplane hanger.

dcb 04-03-2009 12:02 PM

I wouldn't buy a metro to save it for future value, if that's what you are thinking. A lot more value in trying to tweaking it to 70+ mpg (assuming you do it cost effectively and it displaces something with notably less mpg) than storing it and making sure it doesn't disintegrate on its own.

Nobody can say what the future value would be. 5 digits does seem like a stretch today, even for a mint specimen, but who knows? A predictable return on investment if you use it as it was intended though.

order99 04-03-2009 01:09 PM

A good Metro is pretty much like my '93 Ford Festiva-it was a fairly inexpensive, dependable and fuel-efficient vehicle, made to get from points A to B. I'm just going to drive mine until it breaks, fix it until I can't anymore, find a fellow Festiva owner and part it out.

My advice? Just drive it and enjoy the FE. Modify the Metro as skill and money allows. Fight the body rust as it appears, and when it gets too bad to fix-and threatens structural integrity-either part it out or fabricate a new, lightweight chassis for the ultimate kit car(or trike, or bike, etc).

I wouldn't worry about future value-speculation on future value always ends in tragedy. If you find a Metro, just enjoy it. Keep it stock, go EV or Diesel, go three-wheel, whatever. Just have fun.