EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Geo Metro LSI convertion to Diesel? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/geo-metro-lsi-convertion-diesel-25413.html)

101Volts 03-31-2013 02:57 PM

Geo Metro LSI convertion to Diesel?

I don't own a Geo Metro but if I were to convert a 97 Geo Metro LSI to diesel, Which engine size would be the most efficient in the car?

101Volts 03-31-2013 04:39 PM

It's beginning to sound as if it's more valuable to buy an 80s Mercedes and convert it to run on Biodiesel.

Edit: What happened to the first reply? Did the person delete it?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-31-2013 05:24 PM

Seems like a Volkswagen engine would be the easiest option to make a fully EPA-compliant Diesel swap into a Metro. Other options would be pretty much limited to some stationary or agricultural small engines such as a few ones from Kohler, or that Caterpillar 1.1L 28hp 3-banger, or the one out of some side-by-side ATV such as the Kawasaki Mule, but since they're not exactly road-legal it would be harder to register the vehicle after the swap. If you could get a wrecked Volkswagen TDI to take the engine, electric harnesses and occasionally the gearbox (altough I've already seen some Suzukis fitted with Volkswagen engines retaining the stock gearboxes, but I'm not sure how long would the one of a Metro last coupled to a TDI), that would be the best setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101Volts (Post 364379)
It's beginning to sound as if it's more valuable to buy an 80s Mercedes and convert it to run on Biodiesel.

Getting an old Diesel Mercedes, or eventually some Volkswagen, would be the easiest way to go. But the aerodynamic profile and lightweight of a Metro body would worth the effort of a TDI swap. You might know Volkswagen offered the Polo, which was close in size to the Metro in previous generations, with Diesel engines...

Rusty94cx 04-01-2013 06:37 PM

That is alot of work. Find an old rabbit diesel. Or live with the gas. Round here diesel is more per gallon.

UFO 04-01-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty94cx (Post 364561)
That is alot of work. Find an old rabbit diesel. Or live with the gas. Round here diesel is more per gallon.

Since it is only approximately 10% more, and a diesel returns 30% better fuel efficiency, it is still cheaper to burn diesel.

It is a lot less work to buy an older diesel Mercedes, but your fuel mileage will not be very good, they are heavy and less aerodynamic. But there is no "conversion" to biodiesel, you just pour it in the tank and drive.

An old Rabbit or Jetta diesel would be an amazing find. You can get 50-60mpg with only mild hypermiling techniques.

101Volts 04-01-2013 09:31 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies. Perhaps I should narrow my search: I'd like to retain use of a Scangauge II so I imagine I should first purchase a Metro then find a junked Volkswagen or some other small-engined Diesel car. I know 1.0-Litre Diesels exist but I don't know much about them or if any American cars even have them.

I haven't even the car yet and I think I'm pulling the cart before the horse.

I imagine one could get over 85 MPG out of such a conversion plus deletions and Aerodynamic mods, Though...

Edit: Please take my reply as what it is: Some guy's reply on the internet. I was just imagining I could get such a high MPG figure out of such a car, And perhaps I can too but I haven't done it.

Ryland 04-02-2013 10:51 AM

Half the trouble is going to be fitting a diesel engine in the engine compartment, a VW engine is not going to fit, at least not from any VW's that were sold in the USA and VW put the smallest diesel engines in any diesel car in the USA so you are going to have to go with something from a very small tractor or generator, then you are still going to need the offset transmission that you'd get in a car with the larger 4 cylinder engine.
Other problem you are going to have is that the stock Metro engine is very light, I think the 3 cylinder one is around 70 pounds and the 4 cylinder one is around 90 pounds, a diesel engine is going to have a cast iron block in be closer to 200 pounds.

justme1969 04-02-2013 02:30 PM

Not positive about the details but I was under the impression the geo metro was also sold over seas and also the engines found thier way into toyotas also. So I believe if you find the rite member from elsewhere they should be able to redirect your effort.
If not I would go for a 3 cyl perkins with a converted turbo that is pulley driven converted supercharger, its easy cheap and bullet proof.
Thier commonly dismissed there are also diesel briggs n strattons and kohler diesels but that is a stretch for sure.

Rusty94cx 04-02-2013 08:08 PM

There is a rabbit truck diesel for sale by me ok shape but 3000$

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-03-2013 12:24 AM

One of the easiest Diesels to swap into the Metro would be the Briggs, which is actually a Daihatsu engine and was a factory option for the Daihatsu Charade in some markets during the 80s and early 90s, but as I quoted before, it would be hard to get the Metro registered after the swap due to the year of manufacturing and OBD-2 compliance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 364634)
a VW engine is not going to fit, at least not from any VW's that were sold in the USA and VW put the smallest diesel engines in any diesel car in the USA so you are going to have to go with something from a very small tractor or generator, then you are still going to need the offset transmission that you'd get in a car with the larger 4 cylinder engine

It's not exactly impossible to fit a VW Diesel into a Metro. Some versions of the Suzuki Swift sedan even had a 16-valve 1.6L gasser, not to get into other engine swaps with Opel 2.0L gassers and the Peugeot 1.9L XUD9 Diesel...

101Volts 04-03-2013 07:33 PM

I know not of registering a car after an engine swap, Would it even be hard to register a 97 Metro LSI if I stuck a 1.6 Litre VW Rabbit Diesel Engine in it? Though at this rate why not just drive a Rabbit. Can vacuum gauges be added to Diesels too?

I'm beginning to think perhaps I should just buy a Volkswagen.

Rusty94cx 04-03-2013 09:23 PM

You will have so much work ahead of yourself. Just buy what you want. If you want a diesel get one want a vx get one want a metro get one. I want a polo blue motion to bad not in USA. Around here you buy a car they don't know or care what motor is in it. No inspections or such. If you live in an area like that good luck. Diesels if I remember correctly prOduce very litlle vacuum. So no a vac gauge will not help your driving habits.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-04-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101Volts (Post 364865)
I'm beginning to think perhaps I should just buy a Volkswagen.

That would be the easiest route.