EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Geo storm or suski swift 1999? (Update: got a Civic VX!) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/geo-storm-suski-swift-1999-update-got-civic-23786.html)

thyshallsmite 10-25-2012 10:30 AM

Geo storm or suski swift 1999? (Update: got a Civic VX!)

Both 3 speed automatic, both around the same condition and price, plan on doing full boat tale and aero modding here, which one would you recommend? keep in mind most of my driving is city driving. Know automatic isn't the best for mpg but kind of slim pickings here.

MetroMPG 10-25-2012 11:59 AM

Seriously, keep looking. Find a 5-speed manual.

In my humble opinion, it's just not worth putting the work into a 3-speed automatic with no lockup torque converter. You aren't going to be happy with the fuel economy.

Flakbadger 10-25-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyshallsmite (Post 336054)
Know automatic isn't the best for mpg but kind of slim pickings here.

I agree with MetroMPG, if you are serious about fuel economy, an automatic will never make you happy. I spent 4 months browsing vehicles, and close to one month searching high-and-low for a manual trans Yaris with reasonably low miles on it. It was difficult, but worth the wait. Just keep at it for awhile.

thyshallsmite 10-25-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 336068)
Seriously, keep looking. Find a 5-speed manual.

In my humble opinion, it's just not worth putting the work into a 3-speed automatic with no lockup torque converter. You aren't going to be happy with the fuel economy.

Been looking for awhile with no luck, all the time my 10mpg whale is killing my wallet >< even with areo mods are 3 speeds automatics really that bad? only showing around 9 less mpg than manuals (thats crappy, but still with a boat tail should i still be able to get in the 60-70mpg range?)

MetroMPG 10-25-2012 12:15 PM

And if you're looking for an automatic because you don't know how to drive a manual, it's time to learn. In a lifetime of driving manuals, you'll save a HUGE amount of fuel if you're willing to learn.

Sorry to not directly answer your question. But manual is the way to go.

If you insist on wasting more fuel than you need to, at the very least, you need to find something with a 4-speed automatic with a lock-up torque converter.

MetroMPG 10-25-2012 12:16 PM

Yes, they're really that bad. Don't do it. 60-70 isn't very realistic at all, even modded to the teeth.

MetroMPG 10-25-2012 12:20 PM

10 MPG! Well that changes things.

If it's really that hard to find a manual, get the 3-speed for now, but don't spend time modding it. Spend your time continuing to look for a decent manual-equipped car, then sell the 3-speed.

Then mod the good car. :)

thyshallsmite 10-25-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 336082)
10 MPG! Well that changes things.

If it's really that hard to find a manual, get the 3-speed for now, but don't spend time modding it. Spend your time continuing to look for a decent manual-equipped car, then sell the 3-speed.

Then mod the good car. :)

10mpg on premium non the less lol and actually trying to get good mpg too, oy.

Alright well i'll keep looking hard to find anything decent for a good price though, looking for geo metro (ultra rare it seems), geo storm (only found 1 in automatic), suski swift, crx, Toyota paseo,

MetroMPG 10-25-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thyshallsmite (Post 336086)
Alright well i'll keep looking

Woohoo! Dodged a bullet there.

Let us know what you end up with.

thyshallsmite 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 336091)
Woohoo! Dodged a bullet there.

Let us know what you end up with.

1994 toyota tercel m4 a good base to start with? doesn't seem like it's got the best mpg wise, but it is pretty light.