EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Getting into overdrive sooner (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/getting-into-overdrive-sooner-18291.html)

BeatUpRanger 07-26-2011 02:32 PM

Getting into overdrive sooner

I have a 1994 ford ranger v6 automatic. Is it possible to make adjustments that would allow the transmission to shift into overdrive sooner? I'm trying to keep it around 1500 rpms. Whenever I coast and have to start back giving it gas, it pushes over 2000 until the od kicks in.

BikerModder 07-26-2011 02:57 PM

I always had trouble with my '93. It was too slow at a light.

BeatUpRanger 07-26-2011 11:40 PM

Were you trying to take off quickly or what? I'm sort of getting used to driving much slower. I know making an adjustment like that will give it less torque, but at this pooint, I think it'll be okay.

grwulff@gmail.com 08-11-2011 03:54 PM

Just go easy on the throttle. Auto trans will continue to annoy us till time ends, just get used to it.

Firefighter181 08-16-2011 02:35 AM

Check and see if there is a way you can manually lock the torque converter. On my old 92 Chevy I was able to jumper two points from the ALDL connector and manually lock the converter up with a toggle switch. Something worth investigating. Your Ranger should have the A4LD transmission, if so this may be something worth looking into.

Do a search for "The Ranger Station, Installing a Torque Converter Lock-up Switch"

Might be helpfull in increased milage, and decreased transmission heat.

pletby 08-16-2011 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grwulff@gmail.com (Post 255641)
Auto trans will continue to annoy us till time ends, just get used to it.

It's just as I thought! Dangit.

ZOMGVTEK 08-16-2011 09:15 AM

I wish I could remap my transmission's shift points... Under 'normal' acceleration it wants to rev up to 3-4K, and holds rpms before shifting. Under very high throttle or very little throttle, it works great. Also, the torque converter wont lock up until I hit 45 MPH and low engine load, whereas it could probably do it around 35 and keep the RPMs down into the high idle range.

As far as I know, theres no way to do this stuff easy. :/

ecomodded 10-22-2011 05:05 AM

You may be able to adjust the shift points on your Rangers Transmission.
I owned a 2005 Ranger 3L auto a couple years ago and looked into it.
It can be done thru the ecu on my truck, I remember reading that I could change it to kick in 500 rpm sooner but it may cause the tranny to have a bit of a shimmy when changing into od. My Ranger was a gas pig it was as if it was De-tuned to be as inefficient as possible.
My old 92 Cherokee with its 4L motor {5-speed} and 4" lift kit got the same mileage as the 05 3L Ranger{auto}about 20 mpg..imperial:confused:

RobbMeeX 11-04-2011 11:40 PM

Does it have a cable detent? if so you can loosen it for a little adjustment. Also if you can tie into the ecu, you can switch the OD solenoid to ground and have OD on command.