EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Glad to be in the forum (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/glad-forum-11793.html)

Fillerup 01-09-2010 04:08 PM

Glad to be in the forum

I grew up farming, ranching and Rodeoing :turtle:. Then joined the Army after two years of college as an 11B Infantryman. After several years I got banged up and had to get out. I now work for the Department of Defense as an Antiterrorism program manager.

Anyhow, I have always driven larger vehicles due to necessity so I have always been looking for was to save on fuel. I have tried a lot of different potions gizmo and gimmicks. Most of which didn’t work or had little effect. On my current vehicle, a GMC Denali XL I have installed a K&N air flow system and put a tornado in the air intake tube. I also run AMSOIL and a pure power oil filter. All this got me about a 2 MPG increase.
Tired of paying out the kazoo for gas my father, who is a chemist and I started looking for ways to get better MPG. Dad figured out that adding about 10% Diesel will get us better MPG. I say about 10% because you will need to play with it a bit to get the best MPG for your vehicle. For what ever reason this process varies from vehicle to vehicle. This increases the MPG because diesel typically releases about 38.6 MJ/l (138,700 BTU/US gal), whereas gasoline releases 34.9 MJ/l (125,000 BTU/US gal), 10% less (Diesel fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in other words diesel burns hotter than gas. Adding the 10% will not effect or damage your motor either like some potions and elixirs being sold will. I went from an average of 14 MPG to 18 MPG just by adding the diesel for the past 30K with no problem. Also, at present, Dad and I are working on patenting a Fuel additive using used oil, both motor and cooking, combined with cosmoline and a few other secret ingredients. This additive will add about 5-10% to your MPG. I will post it when the patent goes through. In the interim try adding the diesel.

NeilBlanchard 01-09-2010 04:27 PM

Welcome to EM!

Do you have a fuel log that you can input for your "beast"? Have you considered any aero mods? What about tire pressure?

Fillerup 01-09-2010 04:47 PM

I am running Michelin all seasons due my being in Germany at present and there are four seasons here. My vehicle has an on board tire presser monitor that I check regularly that is accurate. I haven’t looked into the aero mods but I have been looking at possibly getting a chip. I don’t really have a fuel log either as I use the onboard computer, which I have check and it is pretty accurate too. I usually check the MPG prior to adding or modifying something and the MPG changes is reflected on the on board. If you have an ideas or suggestion on the aero mods. Can you please pass them along? Thanks again.

MetroMPG 01-09-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fillerup (Post 153232)
This increases the MPG because diesel typically releases about 38.6 MJ/l (138,700 BTU/US gal), whereas gasoline releases 34.9 MJ/l (125,000 BTU/US gal), 10% less

I went from an average of 14 MPG to 18 MPG just by adding the diesel

The math doesn't work.

Mixing in 10% diesel increases the energy content of your fuel on board by about 1.2% compared to straight gas. Yet you're claiming a 28.6% increase in fuel economy from that alone?

I'm calling BS.

Fillerup 01-09-2010 06:27 PM

Don't call BS till you try it. Like I said start by adding 10% and tweak it as need be. Or don't and keep doing what your doing as that seems to be working.

Lazarus 01-09-2010 06:31 PM

Diesel fuel is meant to self-ignite; there is no spark plug in a diesel engine. The fuel burns due to the pressure and temperature in the engine. Gasoline is blended to avoid self-ignition. Gasoline engines rely on their spark plugs to ignite the fuel. Using diesel will lower the octane rating and slow the flame front? :confused:

MadisonMPG 01-09-2010 06:32 PM

I prefer running HHO, acetone, and fairy dust. :rolleyes:

RobertSmalls 01-09-2010 07:32 PM

If you've gone from 14mpg to 18mpg... congratulations, I suppose. You're headed in the right direction, at least. Maybe someday you'll get 36mpg, but I guarantee that will not be in a large SUV.

However, try alternating tanks with and without the elixir. We have every reason to suspect you'll find it makes a small difference if any.

Frank Lee 01-10-2010 01:18 AM

Whyzit say "banned"?