Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A Vauxhall Zafira 2.0TDI

Hello Everyone, I got rid of my Nissan Serena and bought a Vauxhall Zafira. Its a year 2000 2.0L TDI. I can't run Veg oil or Bio diesel in it, so I'm back here looking for any help and advice. I found straight away that the car is good with fuel economy. I don't have figures yet, my visits to the filling station is less. However, I'd like to try a few things. But first, an issue. When I pull off from standing, its so slow. Got myself in a few near misses, just not being used to a car that doesn't pull away quickly. I figured mess with the air intake, a narrow pipe with an 'S' bend, from the front grill to the box at the side of the bay. Through the MAF and Turbo through an Inter cooler and so on. I bought a replacement K&N panel filter, hoping to just clean and not worry about buying new. Plus, K&N say about increased performance. I know it ain't gonna give any more than a couple of percent of improvement, but maybe a couple may help me pull off quicker? No, not by much, so, I drilled the air box. Damn thing got noisy and a bit quicker, just need that bit more. Okay the air box is in two halves, I'll do away with the bottom half, exposing the entire surface of the filter to air! Hot air! A day out with the family saw increased noise, undesirable and the engine temperature went up and more importantly the fuel gauge, went down quick!!! Great, I can pull out at a junction without holding people up and buy tankers of fuel, or get honked at for being slow. I have to add, I get no Engine Light on and the car is fast, once it gets going. I have heard they go into Limp mode, when theres a MAF problem? But not being happy with fuel consumption, I've put the original paper filter back in and re attached the box and pipe.

Can anyone explain, why its hard to pull away?

Thanks

Mike

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
Power-to-weight ratio. It's got 100hp to haul 1.5 tons around (and then add people!)

I've looked after one for a couple of years and not had a lot of trouble with it. It does 50(imperial)mpg which is pretty impressive I think.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
First off, fix your air box. Turbodiesels prefer cold air, so a larger diameter intake with less bends may help (check out the discussion on Julian Edgar's articles here). While you're at it, make sure everything is clean, well oiled, tuned up, etc.

Next, share with us what kind of garbage is in your trunk/boot, then throw it all out. Weight savings always give better acceleration, and in all but a few circumstances better fuel economy. While you're at it remove the rear seats if you don't use them everyday. My car is also a 7-seater, so by removing all but the front seats it is 80kg lighter, which I can really feel.
BTW, does the Zafira weigh more than the Serena?

I take it that your tires are pumped up? If not, you shouldn't be surprised that it feels like you're rolling in honey.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
The PRC.

Could be a number of problems but I would start with throwing the K&N away, its not needed and may be noiser. The standard filter is big enough.

As for the power it should be a revelation compared to the Serena, especially in the mid-range, but it is still a big car with 100hp to play with. What mileage is it ?

Does the Engine Management light come on ? Have you checked there is a bulb in the dashboard for it ? If you have access to a scanning tool it may be worth checking for any codes which may be present. You may be able to clear them and then see what comes back before starting to replace things. And then start with the cheapest item before moving on.

I would also start with a quick check of the pipework under the bonnet - check for anything loose or worn, perhaps with a pinhole of some kind. Even a tiny hole will leak and affect how things run.

Limp home mode will be very obvious - it limits rpm rather than just holding back.

And also one other quick question - are the brakes binding at all ? Not meaning this to be funny, my mum had thousands spent on her company Vauxhall years ago (under warranty thankfully) because it was so slow only to find the handbrake never really disengaged properly - 2 minute adjustment and fix. And no she never noticed any burning smell, but she smokes like a chimney anyway
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
The PRC.

PS - a Quick Google makes me think that you can run a DTI on Veg oil but not a CDTI. But I think yours at 2000 will be the older DTI.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello again, The Serena weighed more, I think. That had a 2.0L mid mount engine and was an 8 seater. I have a small 12" subwoofer in my trunk, its a HiFi driver in a small custom made box, weighs about 20 kilos. I don't carry a spare wheel, so that makes up the weight of my subwoofer. I carry an aersol of compressed air and sealer, in case I get a Flat. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so my sub is important to me, I listen to relaxing music, which helps the Nut behind the wheel, to relax. I also have an old Xbox and 7" lcd for my boys, when they're in the car. However, I've still had this issue since the first day I bought the car. So even then, when it was empty, I had a job pulling away. I used to drive the Vauxhall/Opel Corsa 1.5TD, yes a smaller car, but I could pull away in second gear quickly???

Mike
Old 02-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee55 View Post
bought a Vauxhall Zafira. Its a year 2000 2.0L TDI.
Whatever you do, check the oil VERY, VERY often with the 2.0 DTi.
I'd advise to do so at least every 600 , or 1000 miles at the most.

I had the same engine in an Astra Wagon company car with quite a few bits & pieces in the trunk. I always called it a two-stroke diesel
By the time the next service was due, the oil was already completely replaced by what I had added over those 6000 miles, yet I was among the people with the lowest oil use

Everyone in the company carried oil with them - starting out with 1L bottles, and many ending up with 5L canisters as it saved multiple trips to the dealership.

It had enough power in the Astra.
The Zafira is fair bit heavier of course, but I wouldn't think the engine would turn it into a rel dog of a car.

Quote:
I can't run Veg oil or Bio diesel in it,
It seems to me it's possible in these engines :
vegetableoildiesel.co.uk - 2003 Vauxhall Vectra C 2.0 DTI - excessive fuel consumption - SOLVED! - Powered by XMB

Quote:
When I pull off from standing, its so slow.
Can anyone explain, why its hard to pull away?
Sounds like the 1.7DTi in an Astra Wagon, now there was a dog.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
Re oil change - ours uses very little, but I'd agree on the 10,000 mile limit. I've heard that some had a reputation for burning oil.

The other weak spots are
1-the "leakback" pipes that need the cams taking out to replace. Symptom is poor starting;
2- fuel pump, which has electronics bolted to it and has a "reputation";
3 - fuel filter, hard to prime after changing, best tip is to clamp the fuel feed and return pipes so that the fuel can't return to tank, and also fill the filter housing with fuel.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Dump the K&N and all oiled filters, they will contaminate your MAF sensor, and K&N especially as it passes too much dirt. A paper element will filter more effectively, and the slightly greater restriction will not hurt the efficiency of a turbodiesel.

Unless it has a post-combustion DPF (not in a 2000), you should have zero problems with biodiesel. I've been running B100 in my 2005 Cherokee CRD for years, and almost all VW TDIs (non common rail) love it too.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi again, I did reply earlier but site maintainance didn't allow text to be posted. Anyhow. Its done 105,000 miles appx. I did notice a drop in oil. A phone call to Vauxhall tech told me, you can't use Bio diesel.
Ecoxantia, thanks for info. Does number 3 have a purpose? I always used to crank the engine, till it started.
I notice that the top grill allows air flow over the top of the radiators, ( 3 rads here, coolant, air con and Inter cooler), missing them altogether. The lower grill seems to be the main opening to keep the rads cool. Should I block the top grill? Also, the top half of the Inter cooler, AC rad and Main rad, doesn't receive cool direct air, as the front bumper blocks it. So theoretically only the lower half cools properly. Whats your view on this, please?
Thanks

Mike

Reply  Post New Thread