EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   GM: New batteries cut electric car costs, increase range (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gm-new-batteries-cut-electric-car-costs-increase-38807.html)

redneck 11-19-2020 01:50 PM

GM: New batteries cut electric car costs, increase range

GM: New batteries cut electric car costs, increase range

https://apnews.com/article/business-...dccb60dc6d348b

Quote:

DETROIT (AP) — General Motors says a pending breakthrough in battery chemistry will cut the price of its electric vehicles so they equal those powered by gasoline within five years. The technology also will increase the range per charge to as much as 450 miles.

The company’s product development chief promised a small electric SUV that will cost less than $30,000 and pledged to roll out 30 battery-powered models worldwide by 2025. Nearly all current electric vehicles cost more than $30,000.
More info at the link.

:turtle:

>

cowmeat 11-19-2020 03:10 PM

I'll believe it when I see it in action - but yay as long as they're not the ones that keep burning up in the Bolts
Maybe I can eventually retrofit one in the Volt

oil pan 4 11-19-2020 03:12 PM

Most of those 30 new models won't be in the US and they know it.
Last I heard GM was working on silicon dopped graphite anode that should be able to double capacity, but the problem is it seriously shortened battery life.

cowmeat 11-19-2020 03:18 PM

Mercedes already has the longevity issue figured out - see the link below

You are being redirected...

Stubby79 11-19-2020 03:36 PM

Bound to happen, eventually. Those pesky batteries are cutting in to their bottom line...good incentive to figure it out ASAP.

ME_Andy 11-19-2020 09:19 PM

Funny that it barely gets any media coverage compared to Tesla. This seems like a big deal. Cool that they're supplying Honda with batteries, too. I bought a bit of GM stock today and will probably keep buying more, gradually.

redpoint5 11-19-2020 11:05 PM

In my estimation, GM has timed this 2nd attempt at EV a bit prematurely. They may have had extra motivation to redeem themselves from EV1, or are simply trying to get a first mover advantage to associate the brand when the market shifts rapidly. There's little to no profit in it at the moment though, and especially when operating at a $7,500 disadvantage from everyone else save for Tesla.

My guess is Toyota has positioned themselves just about ideally. Their RAV4 Prime has the minimum sized battery to qualify for the full federal tax credit, meaning the battery that probably cost them $2,500 is being subsidized for that cost plus $5,000 more. It goes 40 miles on EV, gets 40 MPG in hybrid mode, and has 300 horsepower. It's about the least cost to build a compelling vehicle to extract the maximum credit.

When full EV becomes profitable, Toyota will then be able to jump in. In the meantime, plug-in hybrids are the logical transition technology.

ME_Andy 11-20-2020 10:33 AM

Well, as I see it, GM and Tesla get the first mover advantage. They are locking up the low-hanging intellectual property on battery technology.

I think it says a lot that Nikola and Honda have turned to GM as a battery supplier. Well, Nikola tried to :(

oldtamiyaphile 11-23-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 636740)
When full EV becomes profitable, Toyota will then be able to jump in. In the meantime, plug-in hybrids are the logical transition technology.

Tesla run a Porsche like 20% gross margin. Tesla's margins should double in the next two years. Everyone else is just years behind.

Everybody thinks EV are simple, but as any number of legacy auto recalls and issues have shown, that's not the case.

redpoint5 11-23-2020 10:22 PM

Electric cars are simple; just doing them very well is not. The first cars were electric for a reason, and it's because it's the easier thing to do. Making thousands of battery cells and wiring them and regulating their temperature and vibration and balancing them... that gets complicated.