EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   GM’s Volt to Fire Up Engine Automatically to Keep Fuel Fresh (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gm-s-volt-fire-up-engine-automatically-keep-12432.html)

Daox 02-26-2010 07:14 AM

GM’s Volt to Fire Up Engine Automatically to Keep Fuel Fresh

I know this is a concern if you never take longer trips. Nice to see an article addressing it.

Quote:

Included in that software is an algorithm ensuring the internal-combustion engine starts up every 60 days or so to prevent gasoline in the vehicle’s tank from excessive aging.

Quote:

Warnke tells Ward’s he, personally, has driven a Volt at more than 100 mph (161 km/h) on the test track in both pure electric mode and with the IC engine-generator engaged, although the production car will be electronically limited to 100 mph. Driving between 45-50 mph (72-80 km/h) optimizes battery range, he says.
Utter BS. We all know slower is better, especially in an EV.

MetroMPG 02-26-2010 10:17 AM

Also:

Quote:

[GM] will recommend low-mileage consumers fill their gas tanks only half way to minimize potential for spoilage.

cfg83 02-26-2010 02:14 PM

Hello -

I can't read the article. Will the engine start while the car is being driven, or will it come on, "Christine Style" in the driveway when you are asleep? If the latter, then me not likee. You have a possibility of the hood being open and someone with their hand in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would prefer an annoying warning light that asks permissions to start the ICE.

CarloSW2

Daox 02-26-2010 02:20 PM

I think I fixed the link.

The article says it only comes on when you're driving.

cfg83 02-26-2010 02:44 PM

Daox -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 163124)
I think I fixed the link.

The article says it only comes on when you're driving.

Quote:

The engine would engage only when the car is being driven, not when it is parked in a garage being charged. The 4-cyl. will run for about 10 minutes in this mode, enough time to perform some diagnostic checks on the vehicle.
I'm ok with this. I would think the engine also needs to run once in a while for health reasons.

This is scary without a basis of comparison :

Quote:

The Volt bristles with computers and advanced electronics connected by 1.7 miles (2.8 km) of wiring.
How much wiring is in an ICE compact or a Prius?

CarloSW2

Daox 02-26-2010 02:53 PM

I bet there is more wire in a conventional car (and even more in a hybrid). Electric cars don't have the tons of sensors that go on engines.

gone-ot 02-26-2010 08:23 PM

...alternative: just dump a bottle of "STABLE-IZ"(sp?) in the gas tank once or twice a year.