Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
DATELINE TV show WATER FOR FUEL story

On NBC right now on DATELINE they are doing a "hidden-camera" investigative story on the popular "use water to make fuel to get incredible fuel economy" device.

It's at commercial break right now. Did anyone get a chance to watch this?

EDIT: Ha! The car actually got better fuel economy after the device was installed, WHEN THEY FLIPPED IT OFF!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 04-05-2009 at 08:01 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I don't think I would trust anything on Dateline, ever since the early 90s when the story about the Chevy trucks with exploding gas tanks was rigged. They'll report whatever the highest paying supporter tells them to report.

Either way, I believe in the mods/techniques I have learned here, as opposed to HHO. I tried HHO once and could not tell any difference. But everything I have learned here has gotten me real FE gains.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Cat - '92 Mercury Cougar LS
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)
Hho Generator

I Am Sure You Have All Heard Of An Hho System To Improve Mpg. Dateline Nbc Had A Special On Tonight About Them And It Proved That They Are Bullcrap A Hoax A Gimmick Whatever You Wana Call It. They Spent Nearly $2000 To Have One Professionaly Installed And Tuned. They Then Brought It To A Government Certified Lab To Have The Car Retested For Mpg And The Mpg Actually Decreased When The Sytem Was Turned On. The Full Story Should Be On Dateline's Web Site If Anyone Wants To Read All The Details. Suprise These Things Don't Work.

Last edited by tbirddillon; 04-05-2009 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Had to fix some grammar errors.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ruint Taco - '19 Toyota Tacoma SR Double Cab
90 day: 23.76 mpg (US)
Ha, no kidding.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Damn,

I missed it. Since M$ has its hooks into NBC maybe I'll get lucky and some one will post it to you tube so I can watch it. (My computer is M$ free)

It should be interesting to see how PESN tries to spin this
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
My mom called and told me to turn on the TV to watch this. Then she called back to ask me what I thought!

It was your typical hype on something we already know (at least around these parts) is a scam.
Nothing new for boobtoob reporting, really.

My favorite part was when the reporter asked the govt. guy what Dateline got for their $1900, and the guy said, "Taken."

...What I could do with $1900...
Old 04-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I just thought that it was nice to have a television program that pointed out how much of a scam this was.

With how many scams were going on last summer, because of the $4 gas, it's good to point out to people what DOES and doesn't work.

I do believe that a big part of a web forum like this one is to clarify to the public legitimate technology as compared to Eco-snake-oil.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 04-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

WELL. . .

I think someone had a legitimate hydrogen assist at the beginning and then some idiot came in and made a stupid assumption.

PM ran an inssue that had a car that ran on hydrogen gas. This is obviously not rocket science all you do is flow H2 into your air intake and the throttle body does the rest for you. Given, he did do a few things to modify it. I am pretty certain he hadchanged to individual throttle bodies with arrestor capability on each cylinder right outside the manifold and then switched on the tank. Actually I am pretty sure he had some simple valve tied into the. . .throttle. I'm going to have to look for that.

But anyway someone else developed the idea of using Solar panels all ovr their car to convert water to hydrogen on site(no dangerous compression tanks or refreigeration worries). The advantage was the guy didn't want to do anything he couldn't reverse and anything other than lead-acids were expensive at the time.

Final report was he got slightly better FE, he gained less than 20%. It was a truck and he had a covered bed, covered in panels. Overall not really worth it because the panels cost a small fortune.

like buying CF wheels to increase FE lol
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
"The sweetest fruit is always at the top of the tree... If you're brave enough to pick it."

Low hanging fruit is always great for a taste, but people always want more. They honestly will always believe that the "grass is greener" somewhere else, and many will SEE that it's greener, even when it's brown(s gas). They honestly want to believe they've done something good for themselves, and won't let anyone else "fool" them into believing otherwise.

There are still companies that sell fuel line magnets, and still people who buy them. This is evidence enough to prove my point.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
"The sweetest fruit is always at the top of the tree... If you're brave enough to pick it."
Not to mince words with the subject, I agree with Christ, but the fruit being sweeter at the top of a tree makes sense. Thats where the tree will have stockpiled its freshest carbohydrates for growth.

That said as far as human taste buds are concerned I am sure its indistinguishable. . .

What happened here was some idiot thought to himself, "well that fella is using electricity to turn water into fuel. . .I can do that! I can do it with my alternator!" I asked one of the guys hawking these things, "where does the electricity come from?" "the alternator." . . . "How does the alternator make electricity?" . . . nothing "It comes from the crank," he said as if I was stupid.

If you have motion why would you convert it back to fuel so you could create motion?

If you have external electricity coming into the car(solar or if it generates electricity through wind or something when its parked) and you convert that to useable fuel for your enjoy thats all well and marginally beneficial.

Lol those fuel magnets would have to be on the order of a half gauss before you could even detect a better "alignment." I shuld have put parentheses around better not alignment. . . oh well

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
fuel, hydrogen, water