Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Suzuki GS400E Conversion

Hey guys. I wanted to document my conversion of my first streetbike to electric. It's been in storage for 12 years and it's time to do something with it already. The engine seized causing it's retirement and a move on to a bigger bike, a GS1150EF from '85 and if anyone reading this has experience with those old bikes they have stories of the Voltage regulator/rectifier giving them fits I'm sure. Other than that these bikes were great. This will be the second time I restore this bike. Yikes, that makes me feel a tad 'oldish'.

This project also gets me an opportunity to spend time with Dad who lives about 45 minutes away. I don't get out to visit as much as I should, and we don't live forever. He's also got a boatload of tools as he's pretty much a gear head who works on rock crawlers. He's building one right now with my brother in law.

Ben Nelson has provided me with the inspiration to try this. I'm planning on a 48V system with golf cart sourced equipment. This is ultra cheapo right now, but could expand as my cash flow does. This will not be done overnight.

Anyway last night we took off the cover and gasped at the moisture damaged seat and squirrel hoarding mess. Then out came the tools and we disconnected the lines to the engine and got it out. By then the mosquitoes had nearly drained us so it was time to go in and call it a night.

I had my hands busy the whole time except when we needed to get the shift lever housing out of the way (bent into chain cover during fall). Since we don't need a transmission now, I got Dad to cut that off. That's when I remembered to take pictures! Who can spot the fuel tank?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	06-25-11_2105.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	8808   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-25-11_2107.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	8809   Click image for larger version

Name:	06-25-11_2120.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	8810  

The Following User Says Thank You to pletby For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (06-30-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Nice project. Its good to see another bike conversion being done. Have you collected any of the electric parts yet?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

Team Honda
Not yet. I will invest quite a bit of time educating myself before I go off an buy anything. There's quite a bit of work to do on the bike just to get it ready to accept the new drive train so I'm not in a big rush.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

Team Honda
After reading almost all of the bike write up on the EV Album, I think I'm going to stick with my decision of a 48V system. I live in the city where most speed limits are 50 to 70 Kph. I'd use this bike for errands, and most places I go are within 15 km.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
ya! I really want to do a motorcycle conversion. Definitely take pictures of how you mount the motor. I think that's the most confusing part. I'll be following this with a lot of interest. Thanks for taking the time!
Old 06-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
Who can spot the fuel tank?
All I spotted was your wife hiding while you use the Sawzall.

Nice looking bike. I hope this goes smoothly for you. Looking forward to seeing it progress. An electric car, meh, I can't justify the cost. An electric motorcycle, on the other hand, would be really really cool.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
All I spotted was your wife hiding while you use the Sawzall.
Ha ha. That was her hiding from the mosquitos, but that wasn't me. That was Dad brandishing the Sawzall. I'm younger and handsomer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Nice looking bike. I hope this goes smoothly for you. Looking forward to seeing it progress. An electric car, meh, I can't justify the cost. An electric motorcycle, on the other hand, would be really really cool.
Thanks! That's what I thought too. I may just convert a car too, once I get the experience. I actually want to have a go at Paul's controller too.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Ha ha. That was her hiding from the mosquitos, but that wasn't me. That was Dad brandishing the Sawzall. I'm younger and handsomer.
Yeah, I thought he looked a little grizzly for her.

Quote:
Thanks! That's what I thought too. I may just convert a car too, once I get the experience. I actually want to have a go at Paul's controller too.
Somehow a motorcycle with a 10 mile range seems interesting, but not a car with a 10 mile range. Prolly because my driveway is small and the weather here is warm.

I had a Yamaha XS400S Special II something or other that was similar to your Suzuki. Alloys, classic motorcycle style. Would have made a great electric conversion, I think. But, I gave it away 20 years ago.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

Team Honda
Today I pulled a few serviceable parts out of an old computer I was sending to be recycled. I gutted the power source and retained the power cord and plug, as well as the switch and I also kept the box! Seemed like a tidy little box that might come in handy. There was nothing in there like a dc to dc converter, most likely because that unit is busy converting ac to dc. Never know until you look. Now I do.

Tomorrow I'm heading out to visit Dad, check on the garden and more importantly work on the bike! I'm going to finish removing all things associated with the engine and give the frame a quick wash to determine if I need to disassemble it for repainting. Hope not, I already did that 15 years ago. Ha!

I have to look more into batteries next. I've decided on a 48 volt, 300 amp system. Controllers really seem to go up from there in price. What's better I wonder? Deep cycle? Those yellow tops? Need to read more. (Wife would cringe to read that, I've been glued to the computer for days) Now I'm on the hunt for old golf carts that are in some way disabled (ie cheap) yet still have the bits I want. I do have a few connections to try.

Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians! The fireworks were awesome here.

While I'm at it here's an early Happy 4th of July to my American buddies too.

Last edited by pletby; 07-02-2011 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: Forgot stuff.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

Team Honda
Quick update on the conversion. Saturday night I did battle with hordes of mosquitoes and removed the airbox and a few wires and cables that were no longer needed. Then I gave the dust a few licks with a rag to have a look at the instrument cluster and determine if I could integrate some gauges into the existing framework.

I'm pretty sure I can stealth install a volt meter into the fuel gauge. Since the Tach will be useless I think I'll install an amp meter under the glass with card stock over top of it to hide what should be hid. I'm going to use my neutral indicator (green light) as an 'on' light. Not much to attach to the fuel tank except the charging jack so far. I'll add pics tomorrow, it's crazy late right now and I really should be in bed.

Last edited by pletby; 07-05-2011 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: one giant paragraph!
Reply  Post New Thread