EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Goal = 45+ mpg next week (in modded Civic wagon - any other suggestions? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/goal-45-mpg-next-week-modded-civic-wagon-27614.html)

Idratherbeflying 11-22-2013 11:42 PM

Goal = 45+ mpg next week (in modded Civic wagon - any other suggestions?

Ok guys next week i have a trip 450 miles each way all highway my goal is to make it there on 10 gallons or less. I already have rear fender skirts, air dam, grill block, power steering delete, ac delete, bumper to headlight/ hood fairing, some interior parts removed, homemade cold air / ram air intake. My best tank on the same trip but warmer weather was 39 mpgs. What else should i do to reach that goal? Its a 1990 honda civic wagon automatic. I'll try to post pics of car and mods tomorrow.

NachtRitter 11-23-2013 01:25 AM

Put in a manual transmission? j/k :D

Don't suppose you might have time to put at least a partial (axle back) belly pan on there, would you?

MetroMPG 11-23-2013 10:49 AM

How fast do you travel on that trip?

Warm air may be more effective than cold/ram for efficiency.

For another 10-15% improvement, 2 words: boat tail. :)

A quick 'n' easy Kammback would probably be worth another ~3-5%, depending on design/length.

Idratherbeflying 11-23-2013 12:01 PM

If i had the parts on hand id do a manual trans swap lol. Yep im gonna try to get a belly pan on it

Idratherbeflying 11-23-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 400541)
How fast do you travel on that trip?

Warm air may be more effective than cold/ram for efficiency.

For another 10-15% improvement, 2 words: boat tail. :)

A quick 'n' easy Kammback would probably be worth another ~3-5%, depending on design/length.

Generally 55-60 mph. :turtle:
I'll give warm air a try.
Probly put a kammback on it. Do you have any tips for length and angle?
Im gonna be putting a boat tail on it but dont think i'll have time before the trip

MetroMPG 11-23-2013 05:02 PM

Length: as long as you dare.

Angle: you could fit the car under the aero template to get an idea, though I typically exceed the ideal template curve by a few degrees, and have had good results. '

Aerodynamic Streamlining Template

Key: a generously rounded transition/corner from the sides to top is best. Sharp transitions there are (potentially) bad for aero.

Idratherbeflying 11-23-2013 05:30 PM

Thanks for all the help:thumbup: i made a quick kammback today with luan plywood. Hoping it helps.
For the intake should i make it hot (drawing air off the exhaust manifold) or just warm?

MetroMPG 11-23-2013 05:55 PM

No problem!

If you don't have a way to monitor intake temps and listen for potential pinging (harder to hear on the highway?), I'd probably go with "warm".

spacemanspif 11-23-2013 06:30 PM

Any pics of the current mods done to the car?

Do you have a roof rack that needs to be removed?

Side skirts if you can't get the belly pan on in time?

Pizza pans on front wheels?

MPGuino or vacuum gauge to help with driving technique while on the trip?

Put the end of your intake between your radiator and exhaust manifold and you shouldn't have any issues with too hot of air.

arcosine 11-23-2013 07:20 PM

I use to get 45 mpg in my 1983 honda civic 4 door without any mods or hypermiling it was a 5 speed, 1.5L. Its the automatic thats killing the mpg. An crx HF 5 speed would work, you should be able to get 45 to 50 mpg.