Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New Here

I've began restoring my f-350's performance and chief on the list is increasing fuel economy. I do actually require a truck of this capacity for my work. I tow trailers in the 6,000-10,000 lb range and/or cargo payloads around 1200-1500. And I use the 4wd at sandy and muddy job sites.

Over the past couple of months I've managed to get from an abysmal 9.5 mpg to 15.65 mpg.

At this point I'm mainly catching up on service issues.

Thus far I've:

Replaced the Cam Shaft Position sensor

Cleaned the fuel tank

Rotated and balanced tires and inflated to 80 PSI

Replace the internal tank sock filter with a external inline filter prior to the fuel pump

Flushed cooling system and replace the radiator cap

That round got me to the 13.5 range

Round 2 included:

replaced fuel cap

replacing a cracked fuel bowl and all of the fuel line seals on top of the engine with ULSD rated ones. Also I replaced the stock seals on the fuel bowls with ULSD rated ones.

Riffraff AIH Delete plug, (I'm in the southeast, that feature is never used in our weather)
Riffraff Hpx to even out injector pressure between the two heads
Riffraff Fpx regulated return because my truck is prone to the fuel starved #8 cylinder and it has higher pressure regulator
Also emptied and refilled the power steering pump after replacing a bad line

I also found a loose clamp on the intake that was letting boost bleed out before the intake.

that's what got me to the 15.65 point

Round 3 Plans
I need to replace 3 out 4 ball joints so I can get an alignment done on the front end. I'm really optimistic that will put me in the solid 16's

I also hope to change the rear gear oil and am looking at a premium synthetic.

I'm also debating on servicing the transmission. I know fresh fluid will put the power to the wheels better, but it is way past the service interval and am afraid fresh fluid will be the end of it. Thoughts?

I know I'm not in the outstanding numbers like so many on here, but I'm crawling so I can hopefully walk or even run later

Last edited by mvslay; 06-16-2012 at 06:50 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Welcome aboard. You appear to have done some homework. Keeping your vehicle in good mechanical condition will certainly keep your fuel economy up. You may also want to consider some modifications that suit your driving style. Are you carrying around any unneeded weight? If you do lots of high speed driving, look for opportunities to reduce aerodynamic drag.

What kind of fuel economy instrumentation do you have? If you can watch your fuel economy in real time, it'll be easier to tell which driving techniques work and which ones don't. You can also run some math on whether it makes sense to reduce your speed on the highway, which saves fuel but costs you time.

Good luck, and feel free to keep a Fuel Log here.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
sounds like your on the right track , i would definitively invest in a fuel economy gauge whether it be a scan-gauge or an ultra-gauge, Mpguino pre-1996. Keep a fuel log it sounds like carrying loads your economy will move up and down depending on how much time you spend with the load but that's what the notes are used for right.

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Reply  Post New Thread