EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Goodbye Cell Phone, Goodbye Durango! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/goodbye-cell-phone-goodbye-durango-20571.html)

vacationtime247 02-15-2012 10:04 PM

Goodbye Cell Phone, Goodbye Durango!

No contract monthly cell phone bill came due on Feb 11th. Decided to cancel cell phone service. Had the phone for 4 years / 48 months at $55 a month = $2640. Didn't like it, don't need it, happier without it. Switched to that magic jack today too. @$100 for the device and to switch the number over for the whole year vs. $600 yearly through cable. With both phones it was over $1200 a year! Now, no cell and cheap landline for @$25 a year. Still have Comcast TV and Internet for @$100 month. Even that may change.

Sold my POS 1999 Dodge Durango for $2500. Hated that truck. Horrible on fuel, always something going wrong. Electical issues, complete front end rebuild, transmission fixed, blah! Got a 1992 Chevy Caprice that I'm swapping a 6.2 diesel engine in for travel and family outings instead.
VT247

Varn 02-16-2012 07:00 AM

My wife insists that I have a cell phone but I don't turn it on. Canceled satellite TV years ago. Internet service is lousy. Drive old cars, no payments.

I always find it funny for someone to have a 400 dollar car payment and expensive vehicle insurance so that they can save 100 dollars a month on gas.

jrscteg 02-16-2012 08:40 AM

In for the diesel caprice build, that's going to be neat!

UFO 02-16-2012 11:36 AM

Yes, diesel conversion sounds great. Are you going to stay with an automatic transmission?

rmay635703 02-16-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 287300)
Yes, diesel conversion sounds great. Are you going to stay with an automatic transmission?

A 6.2 with an auto is a travesty!

racerc2000 02-16-2012 02:32 PM

I may be new to the eco scene but.

are these motor swaps legal? or do you fly under the radar.

I know in my area to legally do a swap (ive done a few not for economy)

my 82 mazda RX7 title states it is powered by a 2002 corvette drivetrain.

but in my area the limitations are as follows. engine must be of same year or newer then the body and contain all emissions equipment pertaining to the engine. so yes my 82 has to plug in for code checks all while getting a safety check for the rest.

but in my state it also has rules about diesel. a friend wanted a diesel grand national. the only way to make it legal was to find a original diesel buick regal and swap it up to a newer diesel motor along with all the body mods to get the gnx look.

I believe the reasoning is as follows. you cant remove factory systems. just update them to newer. a diesel would be removing some aspects of the emissions equipment from any gas car in what the last 30 years?

not telling you not to. just curious.

UFO 02-16-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 287318)
A 6.2 with an auto is a travesty!

Fuel mileage suffers for sure, but if it's for highway use a good lockup converter and low gear ratio will do ok, and compares to a manual.

Yes, I regret getting an automatic on my VW, fuel mileage really sucks vs. a 5 speed.

I am asking as a manual install in a Caprice could be quite a bit more work, pedals, clutch hydraulics, etc...

gone-ot 02-16-2012 03:34 PM

...a manual transmission behind that diesel will do wonders for both acceleration and milage!

racerc2000 02-16-2012 04:37 PM

humm caprice caprice caprice. what was it again that used all the same parts?

kinda like in the 80s everything using mustang parts for performance. due to all using the same basic chassis thunderbird,ltd,mk7

well it shouldnt be all that hard to source parts. the impalla SS should yeild a center console for a shifter to poke through

rmay635703 02-16-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 287343)
Fuel mileage suffers for sure, but if it's for highway use a good lockup converter and low gear ratio will do ok, and compares to a manual.

Yes, I regret getting an automatic on my VW, fuel mileage really sucks vs. a 5 speed.

I am asking as a manual install in a Caprice could be quite a bit more work, pedals, clutch hydraulics, etc...

If you look hard enough most car varients (aka families) had a MT version that would allow you to steal some components to get everything lined up.

The reason I say an auto 6.2 sucks is because the typical auto transmissions that are easy to install to a 6.2 are very poor choices (having owned several). The newer hard to control and wire electronic xmsns are nice but equally difficult albeat in a different way to wire up to a 6.2 properly.