EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   got hit in the rear, by a big rig (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/got-hit-rear-big-rig-28873.html)

deejaaa 05-04-2014 11:06 PM

got hit in the rear, by a big rig

thanks to the DVR i might have a case with the insurance co.
not much damage as i thought but there was some sheet metal bent around the light.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps285566f9.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...psubbukpgc.jpg

his damage.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...psgumjkhmt.jpg
looks like he's had a few already.
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps4xldwyay.jpg
he was not very sympathetic and when he was on the feeder road, it looked like he wanted to keep going. that's when i pulled in front of him. a coworker pulled over and waited until the trooper arrived but all the witnesses behind me kept going.
notice the lane to his left was clear and this could have been avoided.
replaced the lens and used a hammer to get it to fit.

vskid3 05-04-2014 11:35 PM

Holy crap! What was his excuse? From the video, it almost looks like he was asleep/not paying attention until the last few seconds before impact. Lucky you have it on video, hard to argue against that.

NachtRitter 05-04-2014 11:40 PM

Yikes! That could have been A LOT worse!

BrandonMods 05-04-2014 11:41 PM

Yeah holy crap! at least you weren't hurt, before the semi hit you it looked like it was going to be much worse

California98Civic 05-04-2014 11:50 PM

Ouch! Sorry. Anytime someone hits youin the rear, it is their fault for not keeping alert at a proper distance. But if this video substantiates that you were far enough under the speed of the general flow of traffic to constitute yourown hazard, I wonder if it will make more problems for you than benefits.

doviatt 05-05-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 423149)
Ouch! Sorry. Anytime someone hits you in the rear, it is their fault for not keeping alert at a proper distance.

I agree with this. Everything after the "but" was contradictory and unnecessary "trolling" so I removed it. It is obvious that the truck was even passing (going faster than) the car in the middle lane.

P-hack 05-05-2014 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 423149)
But if this video substantiates that you were far enough under the speed of the general flow of traffic to constitute yourown hazard, I wonder if it will make more problems for you than benefits.

We call that blaming the victim where I come from. Not even sure how someone could bring it up in good conscious after looking at the video. A half-a$$ed argument best left for scumbag lawyers.

j12piprius 05-05-2014 02:05 AM

crazy drivers

That is crazy. The guy must have been asleep, or on drugs.

That's good you were okay, and had your camera on to film it all.

cowmeat 05-05-2014 05:40 AM

A few years ago, I was rear-ended by a dump truck in rush hour traffic at an intersection with red-light cameras, directly in front of a cop sitting at the light. The impact launched my car at a 45 degree angle, so when I landed, I shot across six lanes and was broadsided by a car coming the other way.
The dump truck drove off after the accident, the cop had apparently been looking at Krispy Kreme ads on his laptop while sitting at the light (so he didn't actually observe the accident that occured about ten feet in front of him), and the city said their cameras don't actually record live feed, so nothing was caught on tape. There were plenty of witnesses, and not one of who wrote down the tag number of the truck or the name of the company.
Long story made short:
The driver of the car that hit me was ticketed, even though there was nothing he could have done to stop, the dump truck driver was never located, and all the repairs to my car were done out of pocket since my insurance deductible was set so high. The accident report called the dump truck a "ghost car" since he kept driving and was unidentified.

Be glad you had that camera rolling, bro!

California98Civic 05-05-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doviatt (Post 423154)
I agree with this. Everything after the "but" was contradictory and unnecessary "trolling" so I removed it. It is obvious that the truck was even passing (going faster than) the car in the middle lane.

There's really no need to get nasty. I'm discussing his incident with him. There's no trolling in it. Yeesh. Unsubscribe.

The Other Andy 05-05-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlvs2run (Post 423157)
That is crazy. The guy must have been asleep, or on drugs.

That's good you were okay, and had your camera on to film it all.

With quite a few truck drivers, I have to wonder.

Glad you are okay, that certainly could've been worse.

deejaaa 05-05-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 423166)
There's really no need to get nasty. I'm discussing his incident with him. There's no trolling in it. Yeesh. Unsubscribe.

i didn't read the early comments but, if this would have been you, i know you would think diff.
there was no excuse for his actions. i tried taking screen shots and enhancing them to see anything but it didn't. his arm is hanging out the whole time so at least he wasn't texting. maybe watching a movie?
thanks for the kind words guys. it is diff being on the road now. seems like they are all too close now!

user removed 05-05-2014 10:51 AM

From the video your were going right at 60-63 MPH. You can calculate it precisely by measuring the distance from beginning to beginning of two stripes, which is about 43 (per stripe) feet here in Va. If you are covering two stripes to the exact same point, per second, that is 86 feet a second.

86X60=5160 feet a minute
5160/5280=.977
.977X60=58.6 MPH

I did not try to precisely time your stripe to stripe time but it was close to a second per two stripes. No way you were going too slow on any highway in the USA, and the SOB in the truck was flying at close to 90.

You are damn lucky to be alive.

I always watch my 6 and I would have done anything to get out of that idiots way. One reason why I always keep situational awareness as my top priority.

I'm not try to be a jerk but did you see him coming up at that astounding rate. You are lucky he did not run right over you and spread you out on the highway.

Show that video to the judge, get his CDL pulled so he doesn't kill someone else.

regards
Mech

user removed 05-05-2014 11:01 AM

My blood pressure skyrocketed just watching that video. Sorry to the mods for my use of the term that violates forum etiquette. Please do not construe my comments as any criticism of you or your actions.

You were a heartbeat away from dying.

My heart is still pounding.

Please everyone here, I had a froum friend who got killed on a motorcycle making a left turn and hit by a SUV going 50 in a 35 zone, killed instantly 4/26/2014.

regards
Mech

j12piprius 05-05-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 423192)
get his CDL pulled so he doesn't kill someone else.

Right, I almost posted the same thing.

Old Mech, very sorry for the loss of your friend.

MetroMPG 05-05-2014 11:42 AM

The truck driver sure seemed to be distracted. Looks like he drifted outside his lane (to the right) twice, including just before he hit you.

Glad this wasn't worse.

Fat Charlie 05-05-2014 12:00 PM

I couldn't get the video to work. No matter, I'm just glad that you're all right an have a video.

j12piprius 05-05-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 423199)
I couldn't get the video to work. No matter, I'm just glad that you're all right an have a video.

It sat blank on my screen for a minute and then started working.

user removed 05-05-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Please do not unsibscribe calcivic. I read your posts, they are thoughtful and I occasionally glean some new imformation from your efforts and appreciate them.

You are right in what you posted. I would like to think that such an accident could never happen to me. Terminal disaster anticipation means always watching for a rear ender. I am always aware (or try to be) of whats going on in my rear view mirror. It's just really scary to me watching that video. I told acop once that laws cease to apply when mylife is threatened. I use peripheral vision principally in my rear view mirror, with more attention when I see rapid changes in the objects to my rear.

But the law can never require me to stop another stupendiously stupid's actions cause me injury. It may be an argument for the attorney defending him, but that video overwhelms any defense attornies at providing nay rational excuse. Their only hope is to suppress the video to keep ity from being presented as evidence.

California laws are nuts when it comes to appropriating blame, and I don't know them and don't need to. The point civic made is valid and should be considered as a part of preparation for your ironclad ( you will win) case for some serious money.

Stick around bro.:thumbup:
Mech

darcane 05-05-2014 12:43 PM

Ouch, that sucks! Hope you didn't get hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa (Post 423134)
thanks to the DVR i might have a case with the insurance co.
not much damage as i thought but there was some sheet metal bent around the light.

<snip>

replaced the lens and used a hammer to get it to fit.

I assume this means you are just making repairs on your own? If so, make sure you pull the bumper cover off and check out the actual bumper. There should be a foam crush pad on the steel bumper and the bumper mounts are designed to collapse. If either of these are damaged, a second impact to the same spot would transmit far more energy to you and can cause serious injuries.

A coworker did just this and the second crash, which was fairly minor, caused a herniated disc and required several surgeries.

brucey 05-05-2014 12:45 PM

I'd say you're lucky to be alive! Woah, that video is terrifying for a busted tail light.

You should describe your DVR set up in another post. It's something I've been planning on doing for some time now.

ecomodded 05-05-2014 12:49 PM

I let the video sit unitterupted then it plays through, I think the problem comes from clicking on the video..

Back to topic -

Your cam just payed for itself 10 fold - lets see the lawyers argue that ,with any success.
I (always) run into those speeding packs of cars ,encroaching from the rear at a high rate of speed like a heard of senseless buffalo.

Good thing you were only nicked, being propelled into something solid would not of be so forgiven.

Baltothewolf 05-05-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa (Post 423174)
i didn't read the early comments but, if this would have been you, i know you would think diff.
there was no excuse for his actions. i tried taking screen shots and enhancing them to see anything but it didn't. his arm is hanging out the whole time so at least he wasn't texting. maybe watching a movie?
thanks for the kind words guys. it is diff being on the road now. seems like they are all too close now!

My guess would be eating and driving with his leg. My dad does this all the time when he drives and he drives with his leg. But he doesn't do it in that dense of traffic. With that being said, my dad never goes over 70, and even when he is doing 70, there is nobody in front of him. Dad has been Class A driving for 24 years and doesn't have a single accident that was his fault.

It's obvious that the driver that hit you has either hit people before and ran, or hit objects, the impact required to rip that front bumper off like his right side was is not light. I have a female driver that I check in at work and she recently T-Boned someone at 45 that ran a red light, and all she got on her bumper was a scratch (Tis but a scratch!). To rip the bumper off entirely it was NOT a light hit.

doviatt 05-05-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Since your words weren't meant to incite argument or flame the never ending argument of "right lane driving" I offer an apology for misunderstanding your intent and my reply was not intended to be as nasty as you took it. I was merely pointing out the insensitivity and unnecessary attack I gleaned from reading your reply. Generally a "but' in a sentence complete destroys the previous words and kindness offered and I took this to be the case.

Isn't communicating on the internet grand? Always so clear and concise.:confused:
Peace California98Civic? :)

Thanks to Old Mechanic for clarifying the intent of his words.

user removed 05-05-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 423207)
I let the video sit unitterupted then it plays through, I think the problem comes from clicking on the video..

Back to topic -

Your cam just payed for itself 10 fold - lets see the lawyers argue that ,with any success.
I (always) run into those speeding packs of cars ,encroaching from the rear at a high rate of speed like a heard of senseless buffalo.

Good thing you were only nicked, being propelled into something solid would not of be so forgiven.

The scary ones are those who run right up on your rear end and switch lanes at the last second with less than a yardstick of distance between you and the car they cut off in the left lane. No margin for error extreme stupidity. I rode my bike to meet the wife for lunch today. Coming back home at the last left turn 200 feet from my driveway, a kid in a heap with 30 day tags (new purchase) passes me just before I make the left turn. I would have turned right in front of him passing me if I had not heard his engine rev as he passed.
It could have been a nasty mess for me.

regards Mech

Cobb 05-05-2014 08:54 PM

Interesting..... So he drifted off the road, hit you, then crossed the medium to another road. Think he ment to be there or was trying to avoid a hit n run? Looks like hes done that a few times too. :eek: I saw a trucker PIT a guy and then took a hard right to exit the road while the guy was in the left shoulder facing on coming traffic. :eek:

Cant help but notice a few cars pass.:eek: What was your speed in relation to the traffic? :turtle:

Superfuelgero 05-05-2014 09:07 PM

His truck was beat up before. I hope his insurance was up to date. Hire a lawyer, with that damage (and his reaction), this isn't the first time, and he needs to pay to the point that no one will cover him again. The video will play out well with a jury should it go that far.

deejaaa 05-05-2014 09:43 PM

Thanks for your support and stories. My wife told me when I got home today she wouldn't know what to do without me. Guess it finally sunk in that it really happened and could have been a lot worse.
I only replaced the lens so I could drive it to work.
I was going 60 mph. Speed limit is 65.
I will be calling insurance tomorrow. Not able to call from work, gets too busy at times.
I can't be sure what he was thinking, just guess. When I noticed him, he was right on my tail, didn't have time to react. If I had pulled onto the shoulder, he would have either dead-on rear ended me or side swiped me. In the video, it looks like he accelerated a few feet from me. I hate to think he was reacting and hit the wrong pedal.
I am constantly looking now and also notice the ones who make a last second lane change.

Baltothewolf 05-05-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa (Post 423286)
Thanks for your support and stories. My wife told me when I got home today she wouldn't know what to do without me. Guess it finally sunk in that it really happened and could have been a lot worse.
I only replaced the lens so I could drive it to work.
I was going 60 mph. Speed limit is 65.
I will be calling insurance tomorrow. Not able to call from work, gets too busy at times.
I can't be sure what he was thinking, just guess. When I noticed him, he was right on my tail, didn't have time to react. If I had pulled onto the shoulder, he would have either dead-on rear ended me or side swiped me. In the video, it looks like he accelerated a few feet from me. I hate to think he was reacting and hit the wrong pedal.
I am constantly looking now and also notice the ones who make a last second lane change.

If you want my advice, you should be 100% sure you don't have pain ANYWHERE, if you have pain absolutely anywhere make sure you report it, if you don't, make up a pain somewhere (back is best bet) so you will get a little money because something may be messed up in the future, and your going to want to not have to pay for it. The car accident I was in really messed up my back, I hope it's not permanent but I have a feeling it is.

deejaaa 05-06-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 423298)
If you want my advice, you should be 100% sure you don't have pain ANYWHERE, if you have pain absolutely anywhere make sure you report it, if you don't, make up a pain somewhere (back is best bet) so you will get a little money because something may be messed up in the future, and your going to want to not have to pay for it. The car accident I was in really messed up my back, I hope it's not permanent but I have a feeling it is.

I understand. I will be talking to insurance tomorrow and will tell them all the information.

j12piprius 05-06-2014 12:38 AM

If the car damage is not much, I wonder if you'd be better off leaving your insurance company out of it, and going directly to his or to court, otherwise they'd likely raise up your rates.

deejaaa 05-06-2014 01:45 AM

Unless it proves totally in his fault. It's a gamble, either way.

ecomodded 05-06-2014 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 423264)
The scary ones are those who run right up on your rear end and switch lanes at the last second with less than a yardstick of distance between you and the car they cut off in the left lane. No margin for error extreme stupidity. I rode my bike to meet the wife for lunch today. Coming back home at the last left turn 200 feet from my driveway, a kid in a heap with 30 day tags (new purchase) passes me just before I make the left turn. I would have turned right in front of him passing me if I had not heard his engine rev as he passed.
It could have been a nasty mess for me.

regards Mech

Yikes that does sound insanely close.As you know, you have to be proactive to survive on a bike, motorized or not, as most drivers are blind to anything smaller then a dumpster.

Porsche's and small convertibles are on the hit list as well ( me in my old Geo convertible were near invisible to motorist)

Baltothewolf 05-06-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlvs2run (Post 423319)
If the car damage is not much, I wonder if you'd be better off leaving your insurance company out of it, and going directly to his or to court, otherwise they'd likely raise up your rates.

As long as it's not OP's fault, his insurance rates won't go up. At least that's how it is in cali.

deejaaa 05-06-2014 09:39 AM

other driver rec'd the citation. my insurance won't go up.
i contacted insurance. made my report with mine and was told to call his. did. not surprisingly, he made no report with his. i will update when possible. hoping justice will be served.

Baltothewolf 05-06-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa (Post 423352)
other driver rec'd the citation. my insurance won't go up.
i contacted insurance. made my report with mine and was told to call his. did. not surprisingly, he made no report with his. i will update when possible. hoping justice will be served.

When I got rear ended month before last, all it was, was his word against mine. No video, no evidence on his truck (he took absolutely no damage). Just from what CHP saw they ruled it his fault, with just that video alone, that truck driver is BBQ, fried, roasty toasty.

Are you going to get a lawyer? Because if your going to sue I would recommend getting a lawyer. Is this guy an owner operator? If so, and if he has 1 or 2 accidents, which I'm sure he does, it's going to be easy to sue him if he isn't with a company, going to be difficult if he is.

deejaaa 05-06-2014 09:56 AM

not sure if he is an owner operator. i will update when i get the information.

j12piprius 05-06-2014 10:49 AM

dvr setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucey (Post 423206)
You should describe your DVR set up in another post. It's something I've been planning on doing for some time now.

Yes, please. :)

deejaaa 05-06-2014 04:04 PM

I will.

deejaaa 05-11-2014 11:27 PM

here's some info about the system i have:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post424059