EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Got myself a new Fish carb (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/got-myself-new-fish-carb-13892.html)

MARTINSR 07-15-2010 01:52 AM

Got myself a new Fish carb

Any of you have any experience with these? I got it for my 59 Rambler American. It is NOS, never used.

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSCF3460.jpg

Frank Lee 07-15-2010 04:40 AM

Stick it on there and start a gaslog!!! :eek:

user removed 07-15-2010 06:57 AM

MYTHBUSTERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Install that sucker right now ;).

regards
Mech

MARTINSR 07-15-2010 11:04 AM

The motor isn't even in the car yet, that comes in a couple of weeks. I just got the motor back from the machine shop and I have to do the brakes and a few other things before I can install it. I plan on running the stock carb along with all the stock exhaust and bias ply white walls and all for some time to see what it got stock. The only test I know was the Mobil "Economy run" in 1959 where they got something like 26 mpg average with the car on a 1400 mile trip. Pretty impressive but with removing some of the obvious mph robbers like the four blade steel fan and the worse exhaust manifold known to man, I would think I can make some big jumps in the efficiency.

The carb was just a bonus, the machine shop had it and my brother (he is handling the machine shop and motor building for me) called me to ask me if I had ever heard of the carb. I was thrilled to hear that it was available for purchase and at a killer price! I could make a number of hundred bucks right now on ebay with it. But I really want to see if it works as claimed.

Brian

ConnClark 07-15-2010 11:26 AM

Let me guess... Its made from fish from the Gulf of Mexico and your car runs of the oil vapors emitted by the carb and not the gas in your tank ;)

MARTINSR 07-15-2010 11:50 AM

Um, no, it actually is an interesting design with no venturi.

Here is the story with design explanation. Click here

Brian

rmay635703 07-15-2010 12:13 PM

The fish carb is legit, it can be tuned for economy or power but usually not both if I remember.

It is only modestly better than a normal carb if you can get it tuned correctly.

Where it shines is at an idle and under stop and go.

I have often wondered if it would be of any benefit to my subaru 360 (which is a 2 cycle) but I somehow doubt it. My pistons would probably burn if I got lean.

I will wait to see what your results are when you install it, that carb is still sold and manufacturered believe it or not.

MARTINSR 07-15-2010 01:01 PM

That is good news, I have a 5.5 mile 12 stop light commute so it sounds perfect for my conditions.

Brian

Big Dave 07-15-2010 06:38 PM

Adventures in automotive archeology.

MARTINSR 07-15-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 184185)
Adventures in automotive archeology.

Yep, and I love this stuff.
Brian

user removed 07-15-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 184101)
The motor isn't even in the car yet, that comes in a couple of weeks. I just got the motor back from the machine shop and I have to do the brakes and a few other things before I can install it. I plan on running the stock carb along with all the stock exhaust and bias ply white walls and all for some time to see what it got stock. The only test I know was the Mobil "Economy run" in 1959 where they got something like 26 mpg average with the car on a 1400 mile trip. Pretty impressive but with removing some of the obvious mph robbers like the four blade steel fan and the worse exhaust manifold known to man, I would think I can make some big jumps in the efficiency.

The carb was just a bonus, the machine shop had it and my brother (he is handling the machine shop and motor building for me) called me to ask me if I had ever heard of the carb. I was thrilled to hear that it was available for purchase and at a killer price! I could make a number of hundred bucks right now on ebay with it. But I really want to see if it works as claimed.

Brian

I ran radials on my 37 Ford coupe (bone stock otherwise with mechanical brakes). Bought them from Costco, they were the proper size for a Toyota Rav 4.

If you really want to get up in the mileage, ditch the bias ply tires. Probably good for at least 10% mileage improvement and the handling and braking will be dramatically better.

Use tubes if you have to.

regards
Mech

MARTINSR 07-15-2010 10:07 PM

Cool Mech, I love to be shown I am wrong, if I learn something, I am fine with being wrong. I am thinking when I switch to radials I will switch to some custom aluminum wheels too. The ones I want aren't very aerodynamic, American Torque thrusts, fully polished of course. But that is just what I am thinking right now, I could lean towards something more like moon discs too. Lowered with some moon discs on some aluminum wheels, that could work out sweet too.

Brian

LarryClapp 07-18-2010 06:45 PM

I wonder what something like this would do for my 1979 Lincoln Mark V? It could use some help!

John O'H. 08-02-2010 05:10 AM

Fish Carby

Does anyone know where I can buy a 2" single barrell Fish Carburetor 2nd hand or new without waiting 3-6 months from Mike Brown?

MARTINSR 08-02-2010 10:12 AM

Check eBay, I saw a number of them in the "Completed auctions" that have been sold. So check them out regularly and you never know what you will find.

There are a couple on there right now. fish carburator items - Get great deals on Parts Accessories items on eBay Motors!

Brian

John O'H. 08-02-2010 06:03 PM

Thanks Brian-I'll keep my eyes pealed!

rmay635703 08-02-2010 08:37 PM

Be very carefull, there are good fish carbs, like the originals made pre 55ish and there are a few good ones made one at a time by one paticular individual.

The rest aren't very good, the poor quality units came from fish's son and some of the new production.

Also many ebay specials are WELL used.

Good Luck
Ryan

John O'H. 08-03-2010 03:10 AM

Ryan-Is there any way of identifying the pre 55 carbs? Also what are the main problems with the others?Do they go sloppy in the metering groove department?Thanks.

MARTINSR 08-03-2010 09:59 AM

How can I tell what I have? I have to say, these things are so simple, I doubt any in particular are that much different than any other.

Brian

ecofreak 08-04-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 184101)
...The only test I know was the Mobil "Economy run" in 1959 where they got something like 26 mpg average with the car on a 1400 mile trip. Pretty impressive but with removing some of the obvious mph robbers like the four blade steel fan and the worse exhaust manifold known to man, I would think I can make some big jumps in the efficiency...

How about those square'd holes (I forgot what they are called, near the headers/cylinders?

MARTINSR 08-05-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecofreak (Post 187117)
How about those square'd holes (I forgot what they are called, near the headers/cylinders?

The exhaust ports? Yeah you can clean those up but I am not going to because I want to get the motor in as soon as I can. Honestly, unless I were to just go nuts on the ports I don't think it would make much of a difference.

Brian