EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Great ... another new guy ( thats me ) - ecomodding related car shows? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/great-another-new-guy-thats-me-ecomodding-related-1969.html)

dBSteve 04-23-2008 07:23 PM

Great ... another new guy ( thats me ) - ecomodding related car shows?

Hello,

and thanks for letting me be apart of this forum.

First of all, yes .... I did use the search feature :)

Besides Hybridfest, are there any other meets or shows for ecomodders? Like those with gasoline engines, alternative fuels, etc. Something besides hybrids and electric models?

MetroMPG 04-23-2008 07:35 PM

Hi Steve. Aside from HybridFest, I think the closest ecomodding type fair/show you'd find would be Boston's AltWheels festival:

http://altwheels.org/

Anybody else have any ideas?

Arminius 04-23-2008 08:51 PM

Personally, I would look for performance shows and gatherings. I've found that those people have a lot of knowledge of aerodynamics and mods. Yes, they think I'm a geek and a dork, but they are factually correct, so I can't blame them. :p

The things that make the car go faster also usually make them more efficient, too. The exception being the engine.

Peter7307 04-23-2008 09:07 PM

Hey Steve , Welcome to the place.

A second vote for the suggestion by Armenius about performance shows.
Many items aimed at the performance market are still useful in the F/E arena.
The efficiency is just applied to a different aspect of the envelope.

Pete

Arminius 04-23-2008 09:53 PM

I forgot to mention that when I was getting my oil changed one of those performance racing modders was telling me how they are modding Civics with Acura Integra engines and rear electric motors. Of course, I know about the Integra engines, but the electric motors were something I didn't know they were into. We got interrupted, so we never finished that conversation.

We did talk quite a bit about bellypans and smaller mirrors. But like I said, I could clearly tell they thought I was a geek and a wuss, so I beat them up. There were only 20 of them. :cool:

DifferentPointofView 04-23-2008 10:01 PM

hey... I was one of those guys ;) lol naw, jk. you remember the guy ramming the other dudes with the red ZJ? *cocky voice* yeap... that was me *crowd applause* :D

SVOboy 04-24-2008 12:01 AM

We definitely need to organize our own event at some point, wish I wasn't such a foolish student, :)

I'll be at hybridfest though.

dBSteve 04-24-2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 21249)
We definitely need to organize our own event at some point, wish I wasn't such a foolish student, :)

I'll be at hybridfest though.

This is kinda the reason for this post.

I am new to this ecomodder bit. I purchased my first vehicle about 3 weeks ago and am quickly learning.

I would like to attend some of these events to learn more and to share with others.

I have a background in the car audio competition field where I produce large outdoor events on a weekly basis.

I could put something together this year easily.

Where would the most common place be in the united states to have a meet & greet? All all enthusists basically located all over the United States? Some more than others?

Would people want to be apart of a larger type show? Does it need to be a "show" or just to hang out for a weekend?

SVOboy 04-24-2008 12:32 AM

I think things are spread all over, but a lot of us are concentrated on one coast or the other, I would check out the ecomodder frappr map floating around. I would be game for something around the philly area, :)

dBSteve 04-24-2008 01:25 AM

I live in Arkansas near the boarder of Missouri ( upper NW AR )

Interstate 44 and 40 is close by. My idea is something near a main Interstate preferably on flat ground :)

cfg83 04-24-2008 03:04 AM

dBSteve -

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBSteve (Post 21187)
Hello,

and thanks for letting me be apart of this forum.

First of all, yes .... I did use the search feature :)

Besides Hybridfest, are there any other meets or shows for ecomodders? Like those with gasoline engines, alternative fuels, etc. Something besides hybrids and electric models?

Welcome to EM! I was toying with the idea of entering this "normal" car show to keep getting the word out :

San Gabriel Chamber of Commerce Presents Annual Street Festival & Car Show
http://sangabrielcity.com/calendar/d...TFLIER2008.pdf

But, I was too busy to commit the time and the prep. I think that even if I looked like an "oddball" at the car show, some people would be interested because MPG is a big issue right now.

CarloSW2

Daox 04-24-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBSteve (Post 21187)

From what I hear Hybridfest really isn't just about hybrids. It has everything there, electrics, alternative fuel, etc. There are hybrid groups that I have heard of around the country. For instance, I am a member of the Milwaukee Hybrid Group and a good portion of their members just drive regular gasoline vehicles. They don't emphasize modification as much since you can usually gain much more from simply changing your driving style, but they are very open to it. Where do you live? Perhaps there is a club in your area.

dBSteve 04-24-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 21299)
Where do you live? Perhaps there is a club in your area.

The only club around here wears white sheets :rolleyes::rolleyes::mad:

Plus I live in the "Ozark Mountains" ... not to great for fuel economy.

I had to drive the other day 70+ miles just to get to a flat Interstate to do some test driving for max mpg

dBSteve 04-24-2008 08:17 PM

Has most people signed up for the Frapper maps?

http://www.frappr.com/?a=constellati...d=137440449592

DifferentPointofView 04-24-2008 10:27 PM

Like I've said one time in one post I can't remember *thinks* (uh...where am I... hmmm. well....) since a lot of you are around the coasts, the best way would be to come to me! :D I'm in the MIDwest, in the MIDDLE of the US. hey, it was worth a try...
Quote:

I have a background in the car audio competition field where I produce large outdoor events on a weekly basis.
Finally! an audiophile-ish person! I've always wanted to go to an audio comp, but there's none around here...

dBSteve 04-26-2008 10:47 AM

Looking at Frapper ... Louisville,Ky would be a central location for an event

DifferentPointofView 04-26-2008 12:03 PM

eh, close enough. :D

Ryland 04-27-2008 10:18 AM

The Mid West Renewable Energy Fair has their car show area with alot of different vehicles, about 20 workshops on topics related to transportation over the course of the 3 day event, vender's of products and of course all kinds of fascinating people wondering around.

Where is hyridfest?

MetroMPG 04-27-2008 11:29 AM

Madison, WI. http://hybridfest.com/

bennelson 04-27-2008 11:15 PM

Sounds like anyone who can make it to Hybridfest should really try to make it there.

I also second the comment about the Midwest Renewable Energy Association fair. It's a fantastic event. Lots of info on biodiesel and veggie oil.

I got to drive a (professionally converted) electric Geo Metro there. Very cool EVent.