EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Great Stuff expanding foam? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/great-stuff-expanding-foam-5202.html)

saunders1313 09-22-2008 04:35 PM

Great Stuff expanding foam?

Anyone think of using this to seal up gaps and then just painting it?

whokilledthejams 09-22-2008 07:32 PM

I'm planning on using it to fill in the top grille and some vanity holes in the body kit on my xB, cover with a skim coat of bondo, then painting it all rattle-can flat black.

When I do eventually get around to doing this, I'll be sure to post here.

slipstreamer97 09-22-2008 07:41 PM

i was thinking about using that to fill some of the gaps under the body like around wheel struts and stuff where it would not be visible. it easily be carved to shape. i vote its good stuff

Big Dave 09-22-2008 07:58 PM

Make sure it doesn't get sunlight on it. It almosts melts in UV radiation.

Make sure it is well-supported. It isn't very strong by itself. It does adhere to literally anything - including Teflon.

Whoops 09-22-2008 07:58 PM

You can use it to fill gaps. Just make sure that whatever gap your sealing you do not, ever, ever want to unseal. Also make sure you use disposable gloves. That stuff sticks like mad and once it is stuck the only way to unstick it is to cut, saw or sand it off.

Tango Charlie 09-22-2008 11:30 PM

It may work as the OP has suggested, but may not be a good material for large, built-up type construction. I've read several threads where it hasn't worked as well as hoped. The latest I can recall is MetroMPG's kammback.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...sion-3518.html
See post #66.
The two-part stuff that is mixed together may work better, like the thread showing an artist and his highly modified car:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ting-2793.html

But I've never used any of this stuff.

See how smart you can get by reading threads on ecomodder.com? :p

saunders1313 09-23-2008 08:42 AM

Any one have other suggestions about what to use to fill gaps? What about silicone?

bikin' Ed 09-23-2008 09:35 AM

I like outdoor clear silicone for sealing and adhearing things to my bicycle. It holds great, yet can be peeled off without too much trouble. I has withstood winds in excess of 75 mph and remained in place.:thumbup:

saunders1313 09-24-2008 07:33 AM

You mean like the silicone you can get for sealing bath tubs? What would be the best stuff to get? I'm not looking to build on this, I just want to seal up all the gaps in the front, but be able to paint it so I looks half decent.

whokilledthejams 09-24-2008 09:34 AM

Great Stuff used to make a black expanding foam for landscaping (like garden ponds and such-- my dad has used it in his), but it appears they don't anymore. Reading the Great Stuff site, however, they do specifically recommend painting the foam in applications exposed to sunlight.

I have, however, found this:
Pur Black NF Expanding Foam - Foam Products - Pond Accessories

It seems kind of pricey, but is meant to be used outdoors, and will allegedly withstand heat, cold, moisture, and light.

bikin' Ed 09-24-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saunders1313 (Post 63018)
You mean like the silicone you can get for sealing bath tubs? What would be the best stuff to get? I'm not looking to build on this, I just want to seal up all the gaps in the front, but be able to paint it so I looks half decent.

Almost like that. There is one made for sealing around glass block windows that I use. (I've used different brands they've all worked.) I'm guessing the outdoor stuff is formulated a little differently for temp extremes, UV exposure etc.

extragoode 09-25-2008 10:34 AM

I've thought a couple times about using it as an injection mold in a plastic bag. Arrange plastic bag in hole you want filled, like a fog light hole, hold pressure on it until is stopped expanding, paint. A little trial and error with the amount injected would be necessary, but you would end up with a removable, perfectly shaped block if it worked like I think it should. I probably won't work that well, though.

bikin' Ed 09-25-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extragoode (Post 63332)
I've thought a couple times about using it as an injection mold in a plastic bag. Arrange plastic bag in hole you want filled, like a fog light hole, hold pressure on it until is stopped expanding, paint. A little trial and error with the amount injected would be necessary, but you would end up with a removable, perfectly shaped block if it worked like I think it should. I probably won't work that well, though.

I think that would work great! A lot of recumbant home builders have put foam in a plastic garbage bag to form "custom" seat mold.

TomO 09-25-2008 12:19 PM

^^^ that's an idea definitely worth trying out. I'm going to have to try that as well.

whokilledthejams 09-25-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extragoode (Post 63332)

I had an idea similar to this, except using aluminum foil to make a form. However, I could see a plastic bag working.

The biggest problem I would have is in trying to make a flush-fitting block for my lower grille. I've been brainstorming today, and I think I might cover the grille opening with foil (since it would keep its shape better than plastic), then covering the opening with foil or plastic covered cardboard (or some other semi-rigid material), and injection-molding that way. Then, I could take out the resulting piece, shape it, paint-prep it, attach it to the lowest part of my bumper (which is a separate piece of fiberglass), then smooth it all over with some bondo and paint.

In my head, this is an awesome plan, though it would probably be a huge headache. The upside is, despite the minimal aero gain vs. the coroplast block, it would hypothetically look nice.

Sayyad 09-26-2008 01:18 AM

Try foam insulation tape, I think it is usually used as weatherstripping for windows and doors. I don't know how long it can handle UV for but it's easy to apply and equally easy to replace, and is available in a variety of densities and colors, as long as you want white, gray or black.

COMP 09-26-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whokilledthejams (Post 63045)
Great Stuff used to make a black expanding foam for landscaping (like garden ponds and such-- my dad has used it in his), but it appears they don't anymore. Reading the Great Stuff site, however, they do specifically recommend painting the foam in applications exposed to sunlight.

I have, however, found this:
Pur Black NF Expanding Foam - Foam Products - Pond Accessories

It seems kind of pricey, but is meant to be used outdoors, and will allegedly withstand heat, cold, moisture, and light.

haven't seen that

Big Dave 09-26-2008 09:52 PM

Great Stuff is exactly the same as Gorilla Glue but has hexane in it to loft up the foam. Some carpenters now use it in place of nails to attach windows to the house frame.

Silicone is difficult to paint. Latex caulk is paintable.