Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2020, 05:25 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Congratulations on your efforts to squeeze out everything you can from each liter of diesel fuel.

Outstanding!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2020, 07:18 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That's awesome! I am sure you can do more, on long trips without highway and driving at 80km/h. This summer I will have to do Switzerland to Oléron island, so crossing France from east to west without highway and I am very curious about the fuel efficiency I am to get. My main concern is my 6th speed is sligthly too long for these speeds so I will have to switch often...
Old 05-29-2020, 04:46 AM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 65.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorGray View Post
Congratulations on your efforts to squeeze out everything you can from each liter of diesel fuel.

Outstanding!
Thanks! Of course I have the great advantage of that 3 cylinder diesel, who now seems to be begging for this kind of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitviet View Post
That's awesome! I am sure you can do more, on long trips without highway and driving at 80km/h. This summer I will have to do Switzerland to Oléron island, so crossing France from east to west without highway and I am very curious about the fuel efficiency I am to get. My main concern is my 6th speed is sligthly too long for these speeds so I will have to switch often...
Don't know for sure if 80 km/h on secondary roads will be more fuel efficient than hypermiling behind a truck at 90 km/h on highways … We'll have to find out. My bet is that you have to ignore 6th gear.
Been to Oleron (and Ré) one time, beautiful islands. I'm going to Brenden, Germany this summer. About 10 km of the Swiss border
Old 06-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #54 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
First refueling with all current modifications returns 63,7 MPG. Did 1036 km with 38.3 liters or 643 miles with 10.1 gallons. Normally getting 56 MPG around this time of the year.

My goal was getting a total average of 60+ MPG and trips of around 80 MPG. This with a more or less normal driving style. Achieved 63,7 MPG with a tank and 78.4 MPG on a long trip it seems that my goal has been reached … And it is not that I have put in so much effort

SOOO from this I decide to raise the bar. The car seems to be begging for it. I'm going for a 70 MPG tank and a 90 MPG trip! On top of that I want to get 1450 km or 900 miles out of a tank. Unfortunately for me it is a small tank …

Last edited by GreenTDI; 06-02-2020 at 12:47 PM..
Old 06-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #55 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
... SOOO from this I decide to raise the bar. The car seems to be begging for it. I'm going for a 70 MPG tank and a 90 MPG trip! On top of that I want to get 1450 km or 900 miles out of a tank. Unfortunately for me it is a small tank …
Sounds great, man. Go get it and report back.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:13 AM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Sounds great, man. Go get it and report back.
I will certainly do. I'm going to take my time for it though, these are some serious goals!

I'm currently looking at a rim/tire combination of ~10 kg or 22 lbs. That would give an improvement of 40 lbs of unsprung weight. The forged Audi A2 rims should fit my car.

In addition, a 175/65 LRR tire means 11% less contact area. It will reduce the engine speed as well because it is 2.2% taller.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #57 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
That's the ticket. The rim/tire swap that is lighter, taller, less rolling resistant, and more aerodynamically efficient is the winner for FE.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #58 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
Had some maintenance yesterday, like once every year. I always have this done at the official Skoda dealership where I bought my car. It's not cheap but reliable. Like the oil that's being used: a full synthetic and super thin 0W30. This could generally last much longer than one year or 10k miles. It is claimed to last double as long. But because there is so little in it (just 4 liters or a gallon), and because it is such a thin oil, it could get dirty faster. Inceasing the risk of damage. I'm that kind of person who probably changes the oil too early, just to play safe ...

No errors found in the system that could explain the loss of power from a while ago. Mechanic said that this could be due to the learning computer, and the engine management is adapted to the driving style. So if little power is required for a long time, the ECU will respond to this by delivering little power = less fuel being used.

Last edited by GreenTDI; 06-13-2020 at 11:57 AM..
Old 06-17-2020, 04:43 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello! The explanation of the mechanic looks a bit odd to me. Possibly he has difficulties to say "I don't know", as most of us do.

Your wheel change should help a lot. I have done a heavy load (5 person + luggage) trip with many mountain climbings (>2000m) this weekend : 4.5l/100km I am quite happy. God a pic on my presentation
Old 06-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #60 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitviet View Post
Hello! Possibly he has difficulties to say "I don't know", as most of us do.
Uhh, very likely But it is a fact that modern control devices in cars adapt to the driving style of the driver. Like a changing sensitivity of the accelerator pedal.

I like the story of your most recent trip! Congrats!

Reply  Post New Thread