EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Greetings ... from Canada (Regina, SK) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/greetings-canada-regina-sk-6932.html)

marvinjk 01-29-2009 09:19 PM

Greetings ... from Canada (Regina, SK)

Hi all,

Been browsing some posts here and there. Thought I'd say hello.
Love reading what different people are doing to try to be efficient.

I myself am not a "car guy" by any means. Just got a bit tired being bent over by the dealership's overpriced everything. And wanted to be a bit less dependant on "the man".(since the warranty is over...why go back??)

May 2008 I did attempt and was successful at changing my spark plugs. Gas mileage was the ***ts and the dealership gave me every answer off the wall to coax me in.(i do not think my remote start caused bad MPG fellas...). I ended up changing the plugs, the air filter, and tried some throttle-body cleaner.(thanks to the gent at CT who suggested that). Performance seemed to be reasonable again. 444km/tank average.

With it being winter I've seen the MPG go to the toilet again. But am told with -29C to -40C temperatures thats bound to happen.

Over XMAS I had a heated garage (house sitting) so i got to go into the throttle body again. Was pretty gunked up. Clean as a whistle now.

oh, added a temporary winter grill block --- inspired by this site !!

Just had the fuel filter changed.

Curious ... for those in "frigid" temps ...
a) you warm your car?? and if so how for how long? or
b) drive fairly quickly after starting?
c) have you noticed a major drop in MPG in winter?
d) does shifting to neutral @ red lights really work ???

Fan of:
=====
Lucas UCL - only came across it in OCT.
CT - Throttle Body Cleaner

I graciously welcome your ideas, suggestions, and constructive criticism. Only through the knowledge of others and experience can I hope to be come a wiser, smarter, and eco-friendly driver.

Many thank yous in advance,

~ Marv :thumbup:

SVOboy 01-30-2009 04:43 AM

Welcome aboard! Much to late (4:30 am) for me to be answering questions, but I wanted to make sure you had a proper welcome, :)

gascort 01-31-2009 07:30 AM

sounds like you need a block heater and space heater in your ride.
Metro will chime in here with Canada cold suggestions and mpg test data, hopefully.

gascort 01-31-2009 07:31 AM

oh, and welcome!

marvinjk 02-01-2009 04:38 PM

Thank you gascort.

my cavy has a block heater. space heater, had one ("Little Buddy") but it died a couple years ago.

It takes me 10mins to get to work (8mins/summer), so by the time i get there its just getting warm.

I look forward to any suggests and look forward to Metro's feedback.

Bicycle Bob 02-01-2009 05:14 PM

Welcome, southern neighbor! BTW, my 'phone up here in Spiritwood is local to Regina, thanks to the wonders of the 'net.
Winter mileage goes down due to thicker air, use of "choke" or equivalent, more rolling resistance and other factors. Depending on the temperature, I use a block heater for up to 3 hours, and then drive very gently until the engine is coming up to normal operating temperature.
A ten minute run sounds like a real car killer. I'd switch to a bicycle. No kidding, I've commuted year round in Winnipeg, and the summers are the worst. There are a few special techniques involved, though.

MetroMPG 02-01-2009 06:17 PM

I agree with Bob, 10 minute trips are hard on a car in cold weather! And brutal on fuel efficiency. Particularly if you don't use a block heater. Your engine probably never warms up! The whole drivetrain certainly doesn't warm up.

a) you warm your car?? and if so how for how long? or

Normally: 850w block heater about an hour in the really cold temps, with an AC space heater on 750w for 30 minutes.

b) drive fairly quickly after starting?

Drive gently until things start to limber up.

c) have you noticed a major drop in MPG in winter?

Yup. 9 reasons why your winter fuel economy bites! - MetroMPG.com

Although haven't been hit as hard this winter (Nova Scotia south shore is balmy compared to eastern Ontario).

d) does shifting to neutral @ red lights really work ???

It saves a small amount of fuel, yes.

Welcome to the forum!

marvinjk 02-01-2009 06:21 PM

Thanks Bicycle Bob.

How is the "Spirit of the North" ?

I recall going through there on one of the countless Sunday drives the parents would go on. And/or camping. But I seem to recall it was from PA Nat'l to Meadow Lake that we went through.

I'll be using the bike to/from work once the snow melts. I can run in winter (-40C) but cannot bring myself to bike in it. Win some, lose some.

marvinjk 02-01-2009 06:38 PM

Thanks Metro!

I'm just checking out your site. For now all i can come up with is 'WHOA'.

I am just reading your article on the block heaters. I'll have to find out what the one in my '02 Cavy is for watts. I find its pretty chilly (cabin air) to 3/4 of the way to work if its really cold ... so perhaps it is a lower end one.

Perhaps it is worth investigating upgrading it to a higher w one.

I have my car on a timer ... typically 2hrs.

I've been debating over an AC space heater. Guess I should. I think CT has one for $20-ish.

... this is why i'm starting to luv this site.