EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Greetings from the great southern land (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/greetings-great-southern-land-24045.html)

Alternatively Sane Max 11-21-2012 01:52 AM

Greetings from the great southern land

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, Iv'e been reading ecomodder for some time and finaly decided to register.
These are my vehicles:

1984 Ford Falcon XE. 4.1L inline 6 carbureted (vaccum gauge fitted as standard from factory)
17.96mpg (US)
$38.92 fuel per week
179km per week

1996 Yamaha XJR400 400cc inline 4 carbureted
46.9mpg (US)
$14.01 fuel per week
165km per week

So basically I want to save more money. Obvious answer would be to ride the bike more. But I was wonering if anyone had any tips to make the car more efficient (other than selling it and getting a different one). Don't really want to make it look rediculous with ott aero mods (not there's anything wrong with that), most of my driving is in town at about 50km/h anyway.

Thanks and love the site!

D.O.G. 11-21-2012 04:28 AM

G'day Max, welcome. :)

You may have already read the 100 hypermiling Tips at the top of the page, but they're worth a re-read. You'll probably get more gain from driving technique changes than anything else.

You say you're not keen on aero mods ... no problems. If most of your driving is in town at 50 kph, they won't help much anyway.

The two most obvious "mods" to start with are:
Increasing tyre inflation somewhere between Ford's recommended setting and the max value on the tyre side wall.
Get a good tune-up and keep the wagon in good running order. Running rich or mechanical drag can make a difference at any speed.

Is the Falcon auto or manual? (please say manual :D)

Again, welcome.

Pete.

MetroMPG 11-21-2012 11:28 AM

Yay, the Ford has a manual transmission.

That's where your biggest potential for savings lies in that vehicle. As Pete says, read the hypermiling/ecodriving tips list. You want to cruise in the highest gear you can without lugging, miminize your use of the brake pedal (and engine braking), maximize the time spent coasting in neutral toward stops & turns, and avoid idling (shut it off when stopped for more than ~30 seconds).

I don't know how capable a driver you are, but advanced techniques that save a lot of fuel are engine off coasting and pulse & glide (though this one is arguably harder on the vehicle as well). Check those out as well ... and don't try this stuff in traffic. Learn in a safe, isolated location if you're going to try those so you don't crash your car when you inevitably screw up. ;)

And... welcome to the forum!

sc_frontier 11-21-2012 07:18 PM

Welcome to the forum!

GRU 11-21-2012 08:45 PM

Welcome, awesome machines you got there

Alternatively Sane Max 11-22-2012 01:30 AM

Thanks everyone.

Figures for the car may not be accurate because every time when i fill up the pump clicks out way before the tank is full and some petrol spurts back out onto the ground (or my shoes). First thing to do would be to fix this. I have no idea what the problem would be. I'll have to have a dig around on the weekend.

D.O.G. 11-22-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alternatively Sane Max (Post 341166)
Thanks everyone.

Figures for the car may not be accurate because every time when i fill up the pump clicks out way before the tank is full and some petrol spurts back out onto the ground (or my shoes). First thing to do would be to fix this. I have no idea what the problem would be. I'll have to have a dig around on the weekend.

My last car used to do the same thing.
I never did fix it, I just filled it slowly.:o