Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MyCar - '93 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.35 mpg (US)

Christine - '07 Honda Civic
90 day: 41.47 mpg (US)
Grid Charger Question

Hello everyone,
I am new here and new to hybrids. My wife just bought a 2007 Civic Hybrid. We both really like the car, but when I was driving yesterday the IMA light came on. I turned the car off and back on and the light went away. It did this 3times. But only for me of course, being the wife's car.

Anyway, I have been doing some reading around the internet and it seems that installing a grid charger is the best choice for this car as the mileage disqualifies it for warranty coverage. I am interested Hybrid Automotive's charger. I initially read about them on this forum and upon further investigation its seems to be easy enough to install since I already have a background in working on cars.

How many people here have the Hybrid Automotive system and would recommend it? Are there any other brands I should consider? I appreciate any responses you may have.

Thank you.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

none - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I have a question for you: What does the IMA light mean to you?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It doesn't really bother me. It still functions fine when the light is on. I mostly just want to make sure it is running as best it can.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

none - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I asked the question because what you wrote makes it sound like IMA is a problem. It's not.

Integrated Motor Assist <-- You should google that so you understand.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Agreed, lets see why you got an IMA light. Have you had the dealer check the codes or a auto store? Sometimes the IMA light means you got a bad or weak battery, other times it means a squirrel ate through a wire, the MDM is bad, BCM is bad, or even a bad ground can cause the light.

If its a P0A7F, then a grid charger or battery replacement is in your future. Basically charging the pack to a peak voltage at ,350 ma helps to put the cells back in balance. You have hundreds of cells in series like a big mag light and one bad cell will ruin the whole pack. Just how one bad battery makes your 6 d cell mag light go dim. These charges helps to bring this bad apple back up to snuff.

Plan B? Just disconnect the battery every 400 miles or so and make sure you have your radio code. Again, this only works if its a bad ima battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cobb For This Useful Post:
Ryland (02-20-2014)
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the info. I'll stop and get the codes checked today.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I just stopped and had the code checked and its the P0A7F. Looks like I will being buying a grid charger in the near future.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That sucks..... I grid charge/balance my pack 3 times a year for preventative maintenance to avoid being in a situation like that. It seems with all the cells in series they charge and drain at different rates and when they get soo far off it causes problems.

Supplying the constant charge at a low enough amperage it prevents over heating of charged cells, yet allows enough to charge the weaker cells. THis is why you need to watch the charger and observe the voltage. When the voltage stops moving at 15 minute checks over an hour you are pretty sure its "balanced"

While you are at it, what is the starter battery doing? Is it fairly new? DOes your radio forget the presets? Many insight owners notice a drop in mpg when the starter battery starts to go. Then one dayyour key fob doesnt work,you cant start your car, but the alarm goes off and all the idiot lights blink on the dash.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Everything else on the car is functioning properly. The battery pack does seem like charges/discharges rather quickly, but I have still average about 40 mpg over the first two fill ups. and I checked the 12 volt battery and it was showing 12.8 volts, so I don't think that is causing any kind of computer problem. I have some money coming soon, so I think will go ahead and order a grid charger when at that time and hope that helps.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
If you're comfortable with doing it, you can make your own grid charger for a fraction of the price. Insight Central has a lot of info on making them for an Insight, not sure how much of a difference there would be. There might even be threads about making them for Civics, I just haven't checked.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Reply  Post New Thread