EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   grill block idea (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/grill-block-idea-21027.html)

mikehallbackhoe 03-17-2012 02:15 AM

grill block idea

rather than just blocking off the grill, how about making a grill block that goes in front of the grill, and slopes out toward the bumper ?

mcrews 03-17-2012 03:27 AM

if you would post the car you have it qould help the conversation

mikehallbackhoe 03-17-2012 11:06 AM

I have an 84 crx hf. but I think most cars , in general , would benefit from a sloped grill block. if you just put a grill block on most grills, it is going to be straight up and down, which can't be good for aerodynamics.

aerohead 03-17-2012 01:39 PM

Crx

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe (Post 294037)
I have an 84 crx hf. but I think most cars , in general , would benefit from a sloped grill block. if you just put a grill block on most grills, it is going to be straight up and down, which can't be good for aerodynamics.

Honda did a pretty good job of grille-blocking on the production CRX.
If your's is non-AC you will already have an internal full-block panel that closes the hole where the condenser would reside.
Some of the grille has 'dummy' sections.
I fabricated a complete fiberglass nose with integral Walter Korff pinched inlet duct.I can't tell you that it showed that strong at the pump.It hardly showed near 100 mph at Bonneville.
I would recommend rocker panel extensions to get the sides even with the tires.
The front wheel wells are bigger than need be.Some of this can be closed off at the top without interference with the tires.
Rear wheel skirts can be cast directly on the car with a proper release in place.
Leave the mirror(s) alone.They are plenty fine as is and Bonneville proven.
The underside needs a cleanup with sections of belly pan and diffuser.
The big savings are at the back with some boat tail.One foot of length will get you into 60 mpg territory at 55 mph with the other cleanups.:)

mikehallbackhoe 03-17-2012 03:21 PM

mine has a.c. but it doesn't work, and I planned on removing it anyway.

aerohead 03-17-2012 03:44 PM

AC

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe (Post 294092)
mine has a.c. but it doesn't work, and I planned on removing it anyway.

Only one of my California cars had AC and I never used it.The climate was so good there was rarely any call for it.
If you ever head this way in summer though,you'll wish you had it.

Tesla 03-17-2012 03:55 PM

I made mine a bit pointed at front bottom, so at bumper it is inverted "V" shaped, and then tapers back at sides to meat headlights, and tapers up to merge with bonnet/hood curve, don't know if it is better or not, the main reason I did it was to try get a more gentle curve where grille block meets bonnet, so minimise risk of seperation.

Frank Lee 03-17-2012 04:04 PM

"Meat headlights"... can I post this? Pretty please???

http://cdn04.cdnwp.thefrisky.com/wp-...ra-425x283.jpg

Re: front: doesn't seem to matter much if the leading face is vertical or slanted, as long as it blends nicely with top and sides.

basjoos 03-17-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe (Post 294001)
rather than just blocking off the grill, how about making a grill block that goes in front of the grill, and slopes out toward the bumper ?

This is basically what I have done on my car. Made a sloped form that sticks out in front of the OEM grill and bumper and which contains a driver adjustable grill block with an grill inlet below the stagnation point of the grill block/nosepiece.

t vago 03-17-2012 06:08 PM

Bacon makes everything better...

allenh318 03-17-2012 08:34 PM

Mmmmm. Bacon!

Ladogaboy 03-17-2012 09:01 PM

I think Frank is going to get fried.

Sven7 03-18-2012 03:51 AM

My Probe plans may be relevant to this thread. The stock bumper curves underneath with a lower inlet to the rad. This custom front would get rid of that and make all the air go over/around the body instead.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6...305fe55903.jpg

redorchestra 03-18-2012 04:36 PM

that is a great drawing

mikehallbackhoe 03-18-2012 05:41 PM

that is more like it . rather than the grill block being straight up and down, it flows with the rest of the car

Ladogaboy 03-18-2012 05:41 PM

Might want to blur the license plate, though.

Sven7 03-18-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe (Post 294288)
that is more like it . rather than the grill block being straight up and down, it flows with the rest of the car

That isn't a grille block, though- it's an entirely custom front bumper.

In reality it was much simpler to duct tape some aluminum flashing against the grille openings. I know this won't work for everyone, but for example.

before
after

Aerodynamically speaking, the energy would have been better spent on a partial boattail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy (Post 294289)
Might want to blur the license plate, though.

All the pictures of all my cars show the license plate, so it would be a little late to start now :thumbup:

Ladogaboy 03-18-2012 09:00 PM

I just duct-taped my intercooler. *shrug*

fchen7 03-21-2012 01:03 PM

hi,

where can i see pictures of your modified civic ? the legendary 70mpg civic ... :)

aerohead 03-21-2012 05:21 PM

where

Quote:

Originally Posted by fchen7 (Post 294802)
hi,

where can i see pictures of your modified civic ? the legendary 70mpg civic ... :)

Do a search for AeroCivic.