EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Grill Block / Temperature (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/grill-block-temperature-34922.html)

Mccoycmw 03-02-2017 06:33 AM

Grill Block / Temperature

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings, this is my first post. I am planning on creating a partial upper grill block on my 2014 f150. I plan to use foam pipe insulation to fill the grill slots. I'm not planning on installing a fan indicator light, so what operating temperatures are safe? I have an OBD I scan tool to monitor the temperatures.

On a unrelated note, does anyone know of a bolt-on belly pan for my truck? Thanks

Frank Lee 03-02-2017 07:13 AM

Doesn't the temp gauge indicate a normal range? Stay in that. Whatever it is now should be your target.

Whatever you do, leave a nice opening for the transmission cooler if it's separate.

When it comes to fabricating belly pans you are on your own. I mean, there aren't any kits, but you can stand on the shoulders of others who went before.

Mccoycmw 03-02-2017 07:50 AM

Thanks for the response. Looks like I can block the top 1/2 of the grill without covering the transmission cooler.

Daox 03-02-2017 08:48 AM

Sounds like a good start.

ThermionicScott 03-02-2017 12:34 PM

Shouldn't a 2014 F150 be OBD-II?

I would do some Google searching and try to figure out what temperature the radiator fan(s) kick on and try to stay just under that. :)

Mccoycmw 03-02-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 535302)
Shouldn't a 2014 F150 be OBD-II?

I would do some Google searching and try to figure out what temperature the radiator fan(s) kick on and try to stay just under that. :)

You are correct that it is OBD-II, sorry for the typo. I haven't been able to find a certain coolant temp the efans turn on according to Ford, so I will try trial-and-error.

ksa8907 03-02-2017 06:27 PM

Just an FYI about the stock temp gauge, they are not entirely accurate. They dont really indicate a temperature but a range. It may sit on say 210 as the "normal" temp, but i guarantee the actual temp will fluctuate up or down 10 to 20 degrees with relatively no move of the needle.

I discovered this on my wife's traverse, the normal temp on the gauge is 210 but I have driven it and read 183 on the obd2 but still pegged on 210 by the gauge.

aerohead 03-03-2017 11:50 AM

temps

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mccoycmw (Post 535274)
Greetings, this is my first post. I am planning on creating a partial upper grill block on my 2014 f150. I plan to use foam pipe insulation to fill the grill slots. I'm not planning on installing a fan indicator light, so what operating temperatures are safe? I have an OBD I scan tool to monitor the temperatures.

On a unrelated note, does anyone know of a bolt-on belly pan for my truck? Thanks

GM is allowing up to 239-F for coolant,284-F for engine oil,and 284-F for gear oil on their Corvette ZO6.
You should have a similar all-synthetic lube package and same-tech cooling system.
As Frank mentioned,be careful of oil/trans cooler,especially if you have the towing package.
Intercooler?
You should have an OBD-2 system.
And I think that you're on your own as far as the bellypan goes.

freebeard 03-03-2017 09:39 PM

Welcome.

Are you planning on doing anything beyond the grille block? Those strike me as a minor improvement, worth doing.

I think the second question is more interesting. What are the required dimensions? I'd guess 5x10ft. You can get sheet materials like Polymetal or MaxMetal in 5x10 or 4x12 sheets. Then it's a matter of establishing a dozen or more mounting points and shimming them down to a common plane that will clear 95% of everything with cutouts for tow hooks, etc.

What's the wheelbase and width across the frame rails? Are you an aerocap or half-tonneau sort of guy?